DR_Z

Jun 3, 2006
I was wondering if you can repaint a dirtbike helmet, I was thinking maybe just giving it a light sand then spray painting then applying decals. What do you think?

jefpel_1213

Apr 17, 2006
Helmets are made with special paint so if you fall it will let your head slide. If you take this paint off you will put yourself at risk.

You could get your helmet redone at a speciality helmet store or just buy a new one

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
jefpel_1213 said:
Helmets are made with special paint so if you fall it will let your head slide. If you take this paint off you will put yourself at risk.
That is a really interesting statement anything to back it up???

Yes you can sand the clearcoat off and then repaint apply stickers and then clearcoat it. Most important part is the clearcoat in several layers

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Just enough to break the gloss is what I'd do. It shouldn't take too rough of a paper to do that. I wouldn't want to go so far as to get into the 'glass of the shell though.

DR_Z

Jun 3, 2006
What type of paint do you you think I should use? Also there are some chips, should I just fill them with paint or use some fiberglass? Or do you have any other suggestions?

AXE_1967

Mar 31, 2006
If you put a light sanding on your helment for painting purposses thats great but, If they are factory stickers or designs on you helment they will show their imprint through the new paint. I don't think you want to sand down threw all that clear just to get to stickers or designs you probably won't be able to get off any way but if you don't mind the print showing threw go ahead, that is if your helment is like mine, you can feel the textures of the designs.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
jefpel_1213 said:
:think: :rotfl: I think I just found my new sig line.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
AXE_1967 said:
If you put a light sanding on your helment for painting purposses thats great but, If they are factory stickers or designs on you helment they will show their imprint through the new paint. I don't think you want to sand down threw all that clear just to get to stickers or designs you probably won't be able to get off any way but if you don't mind the print showing threw go ahead, that is if your helment is like mine, you can feel the textures of the designs.
once you get through the outer layers of clear, you can take a razor blade and peel up those factory stickers, then go with a scotch-brite to get your surface nice and smooth. Then most any automotive paints will be okay for your lid.

If it doesn't make a Corvette fall apart, the paint won't compromise the integrity of your helmet.

I've done this a few times . . . and these pics are crappy, yes

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So there are teflon coated helmets out there that allow you to slide easier when you crash? Do eggs stick to them?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Slippery When Wet! :aj:

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
jefpel_1213 said:

I like to put the K-Y lubricant jelly on my helmet to help me slide easily. :laugh:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Matt R said:
I like to put the K-Y lubricant jelly on my helmet to help me slide easily. :laugh:

LMAO Do I really want to know this much about what you do? :p

Top Bottom