IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I was doing some inspecting on my bike lastnight, I don't like suprises...

I found that the throttle cable is starting to break right at the end on the grip side.

I have heard of people fixing these in the past, but never thought to ask how they'd do it or how well it works.

Has anyone on here ever been successful at something like this, and if so how'd you do it?

Seems like every Honda dealer around me doesn't carry parts of Honda motorcycles. I'd love to be able to get one more ride out of this cable..

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
No idea on how to repair, and not sure I'd want to experiment with a cable that could potentially stick and cause me harm. AJ and his guys at Service Honda in Hammond can likely get a cable out to you ASAP.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Take your cable to any of your local bike shops. If they have any 2-stroke cables in stock they should be able to match something up. If your wanting to ride this weekend.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
take a old pedal bike brake or gear cable, you can cut it down to the size you need by matching it up with thge other cable. Feed it through the throttle cable tube and at the end, u need that metal nubby thing for it to seat right, just take out a soddering gun and sodder a block on. What i do is take a plank of wood, cut a small hole in the wood and melt the same smount of sodder as the metal piece for the end of the cable. heat up the new throttle cable with the sodder gun then stick it into the molten sodder and hold it there allowing it to dry.

Of corse this is the last resort if you cant get any sort of cable. If your having bad luck call up some cycle salvage yards, what year is the bike?

B

biglou

Call DGY. 1-877-RIDE DGY They show to have it in stock. $12.95. They're in norther IN too, I think...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, my lame repair attempt didn't work.. The cable is just too far gone to risk it.

I have to find something other than riding to do this weekend. That's gonna suck!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I don't know about Indianapolis, but we have a couple of places around here that sell raw cable and cable ends. You can take your cable to them and they will solder it on or sell you the materials and you can solder the ends on yourself. You can usually use your existing cable sleeve. You need to take your old cable with you.
HOWEVER, I am extremely paranoid about using soldered throttle cables, because I have seen soldered ends come off. And the last thing you want is to have that little end under your carburetor slide come off!! So, I might do this in a pinch, but I'd certainly have a swaged cable on order to replace it as soon as the mail arrived.

(If you do attempt this, clean the ends of the cable good with a degreaser, then apply your flux. Use a butane torch and silver solder. Try and not get the cable too hot, or it can break there later)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2strokerfun said:
I don't know about Indianapolis, but we have a couple of places around here that sell raw cable and cable ends. You can take your cable to them and they will solder it on or sell you the materials and you can solder the ends on yourself. You can usually use your existing cable sleeve. You need to take your old cable with you.
HOWEVER, I am extremely paranoid about using soldered throttle cables, because I have seen soldered ends come off. And the last thing you want is to have that little end under your carburetor slide come off!! So, I might do this in a pinch, but I'd certainly have a swaged cable on order to replace it as soon as the mail arrived.

(If you do attempt this, clean the ends of the cable good with a degreaser, then apply your flux. Use a butane torch and silver solder. Try and not get the cable too hot, or it can break there later)

Not sure if you missed it, but I think I mentioned at the end of page one that it didn't work out.. And I have one on order.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
The above was for replacing the entire cable--sans sleeve--not for repairing it. But I think ordering was best way to go. I happen to have an extra clutch cable lying around now (I can't remember why), but I think I'll just order an extra throttle cable too someday soon, so I have a spare.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Spares are a good thing.

I would have killed for a spare rear brake line Sunday.. That would have made a really crappy day a little bit better.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
Spares are a good thing.

I would have killed for a spare rear brake line Sunday.. That would have made a really crappy day a little bit better.

Yeah. Last time I was at Stillwater, I started down this really steep hill on a trail and somehow got caught in a rut and thrown against the side, breaking my front brake lever. Well, crap, I did NOT want to go down that hill and up the other side without a front brake. I finally just killed the motor, put it in second and just let the compression keep me slow enough going down the hill. Re started it and ripped up the other side in 1st gear. Now, I'm carrying a spare break lever in my fanny pack.

Top Bottom