BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I got some parts ordered for the SY250 and started installing them with the help of Ron Lee, factory Beta rider. He showed me how to disassemble the Paolia forks and what to look for when reassembling them. He made a cool tool for setting your oil level. He used a brass tube, a small collar with a set screw, tubing, and a syringe. I've used the tubing and syringe trick but his tool would set on top of the fork tube and was indexed for easy adjustment.
Ron is a nice guy. Like lots of off road bike riders, he'll do just about anything for fellow enthusiasts. As a 5 time National Trials Champion, he's met lots of industry pros and factory folks.
I've got a rear tire to put on and rear brakes and the SY will be ready for some time on the trail. I've got other minor repairs to do but I'll do them as the funds become available. I'm beginning to think that SCORPA stands for Some Costs OverRide Possible Appreciation. $86 for EACH fork seal, retail! Ron got them for me at cost, $56 each. Bearings run $46 each and I won't even mention the cost of Plastic! I never thought it would be cheap but DAAMMMN!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Is the tire tubeless?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Patman said:
Is the tire tubeless?
Yes. I hear it is an adventure.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That would be a bit of an understatement.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tubeless trials tires are a breeze. Nothing to pinch and the sidewalls are wide and flexible. You can practically put them on without tools.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe YOU can, I sure have a heck of a time. Might be my limp wrists. Granted no tube is a big bonus!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thats what it looks like to me, Rich. I just have to get the beads to set and air them up. I've heard of several tricks and I've used some professional truck tire goo before but right now I don't have any of the goo.
This bike is going to be a blast. It is already pretty dinged up so dropping it isn't going to give me much concern, unless I break something. It starts easily and now that I have brakes, it stops well too, LOL.
I still need a new chain and sprokets, new grips, and a fork brace but I'm ready to start learning to ride it. The weather here is beginning to moderate so it will be alot of fun riding in the evenings after work. I'll try to get some pics up pretty soon. Like I said, it is rough looking but mechanically very usable.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Brian get some good bar ends! I prefer the aluminum ones but any will do. They would have saved me new grips AND a throttle tube I had just put on 2 hours prior.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Patman said:
Brian get some good bar ends! I prefer the aluminum ones but any will do. They would have saved me new grips AND a throttle tube I had just put on 2 hours prior.
I hear you, Pat. Part of the reason I bought this particular bike is because it has already been dropped, quite a few times. I put some time on it this weekend but didn't have anyone around to coach me some. It's amazing how much different it handles in whoop section. You can let the bike follow the whoops and not even try to skim them. Using 3rd gear to pop up an obstacle is so cool and you don't run out of gear. The tire I have on now is very worn but still gripped on wet slippery rock where the knobby on the YZ just spun. Hopefully soon I'll get some real lessons and start practicing.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Get the Ryan Young video!!!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm trying to get a kitchen pass for the event.

Top Bottom