01RM250K3

Jun 2, 2007
hi i was just wondering where i can buy an aftermarket CDI for a 2001 RM250 because i cant find any aftermarket CDI for my bike all i can find is an oe cdi but thats for $367 and i dont want to spend that much. also i was wondering if my cdi is my main problem on my bike because it wont start very easy, it takes about 11 to 30 kicks to get it started and i got compression, fuel, and spark its just that i think the spark is pretty weak, i checked all my electrical with an ohm meter and everything was within specs except the cdi was very low, i thought it was an easy fix like the spark plug wire but i replaced that with a ngk spark plug wire and it still has trouble starting and i have my carb jetted properly and every other time i start my bike my plug fouls out and i just replaced the reeds a couple of months ago, so do you guys think my cdi could just be the problem?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Are the reeds OK? They should seal with no gaps or fraying. That's normally the reason for hard starting.

01RM250K3

Jun 2, 2007
when i first bought my bike about a year ago it would start just fine but it would still foul the plug, and now everytime i ride i it is getting progressively worse in terms of starting and fouling the plug so i dont know what it could be besides the CDI because when i check the spark plug for spark it is a very weak spark where you can barely see it so do you think its the cdi because the coil and the stator are to specs?

01RM250K3

Jun 2, 2007
im also running a ngk br8es spark plug so do you guys think i should go with a hotter plug to resist the fouling and if so which spark plug should i buy, also its gapped at 20 thousandths so do you think i should gap it bigger to like 30 or 40 thousandths to get a more intense spark?

01RM250K3

Jun 2, 2007
nevermind i wont need a cdi al least for now as all i had to do was adjust the float level on the carb it turns out it was out of spec by 9/16", now it runs better then the day i bought it, it starts on the 1st to third kick and doesn't foul my plugs up!

Top Bottom