vmx4bldr

Apr 30, 2008
Can someone please let me know which of Erics books has the most information on replacing a connecting rod on a vintage dirt bike and truing the crank... And if anyone knows of other books which explain how to do this I would appreciate the name of those books also..
Thanks

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
To do the job at home you would need a Hydraulic press, press plates, press pin, trueing stand, dial indicator with stand, feeler gauges, dyechem, straight edge and a large brass hammer. or you can have your local shop do it.

D

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
vmx4bldr said:
Can someone please let me know which of Erics books has the most information on replacing a connecting rod on a vintage dirt bike and truing the crank...

I'll check through Eric's books later today and let you know.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Take blue machinist dye, paint the side and bottom faces. Scribe a line across both halves with a machinist's square. Press apart. Install the new pin in one halve. Put all the parts in and line up the marks. Put the proper feeler gauge between the thrust washer and crank halve and press. Check the run out on a lathe or similar precise set up. That is the part I hate, breaking loose the press fit. A v block set up would be sweet. Place all the parts in a jig and press. Sometimes I have the sneaking idea to spot weld them when the press is loose. In my opinion, once that press fit is spun for alignment, it is easier to go back from abuse or sudden load changes on the crank. Eric Gorr does my cranks.

vmx4bldr

Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for the input guys

Thanks for the step by step.. Actually that is what I need, someone who has actually done it.. Seems like a real easy process with the right tools..I am in the process of buying a press, the last tool I need for my shop...Very difficult to find anyone around where I live that can do this sort of thing. And this and boring are the only 2 parts of my restorations that I dont do right now myself...Soon to only be the boring..And I have a milling machine so will learn that and honing next..Thanks for the info,,,and let me know which of his books best covers this subject,,,also which book best covers reed valves..
Thanks
JC

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Both the first, second and third editions (third is the current) of Eric's MX Performance Handbook book have a step by step procedure on rebuilding cranks. The first edition has a few more pictures on the process but other than that it's pretty much the same basic info on crank rebuilding in all of the versions.

Third Edition :
http://www.ericgorr.com/mxandoffroad.html

Second Edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Motocross-Off...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210034094&sr=8-4

First edition :
http://www.amazon.com/Motocross-Off...bs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210034094&sr=8-5

vmx4bldr

Apr 30, 2008
Thanks Rich, and Foxforks , I appreciate you taking the time to check it out for me and sending me the links to Erics books.
Thanks
JC

Top Bottom