mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
I have a 1998 rm 125, the clutch is getting bad so i want to replace it, how complicated is it and do you need special tools? I have rebuilt probably 20 top ends in my life but never had to do a clutch, also replaced clutches in a few cars, but again, never on a bike..lol..also, what do i need besides the clutch plates?
thanks

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
I don't belive it should be hard. I had a 81 YZ125 when I was 16 in 84. I changed the clutch pack in it, and I was taking beginer auto shop in HS. The clutch pack is in the gear box so defently expect gearbox oil to be there when opening it. on the old YZ the pressure plate was held with retaing bolts and springs. Wasn't hard to do, just used the basic hand tools, got it done and was on the run... unless there is something speacle extra on a 98 RM...

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
if you dont want to drain the oil just lie the bike on its side remove the clutch cover remove the clutch spring bolts and just lift the plates out and replace with the new ones soak the new plates in oil before installing install new plates in the same order the old ones came out and tighten the clutch spring bolts snug if you crank them they tend to break and be sure to readjust you clutch lever free play before riding and keep an eye on it for the first few minutes of riding to make sure it does not come out of adjustment as the new clutch seats.be sure to replace the springs fibers and alloys (or steels) as a set to get the longest life

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
well, i heard the clutch baskets in these bikes were junk, how do you tell if the basket is bad without tearing it down and looking at it? Any signs the bike give that give it away?

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
May have to tear it down. Then again this reply may invoke a better one. How ever if the basket is a question in mind while replacing the clutch migh as well do that. However eather way I wouldn't reuse the old gearbox oil once the new clutch and or new clutch and basket...

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
if the clutch drags the basket might be bad but you really need to take the clutch out and see if the basket is groved where the clutch plate tabs hit the basket

micshol

Feb 7, 2007
just did one of these. you will have to take it apart. if its worn out you will see chatter marks were the friction disks hit the basket ears. the one i did had one broke off and locked the motor. if you need to pull the basket you need a special tool or you can take an old friction and steel plate, clamp them together, drill two holes opposite each other, and bolt them together. that and wedging a rag in the gears will stop it from turning. I put this one back together in 30 mins.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
micshol said:
if you need to pull the basket you need a special tool or you can take an old friction and steel plate, clamp them together, drill two holes opposite each other, and bolt them together. that and wedging a rag in the gears will stop it from turning.

An impact gun negates the need for anything special. Without an impact gun I've wedged a rag between the case and the basket and then used a fairly large breaker bar and socket to remove the nut with good success.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
Bad thing is that when i bought this 1998 bike, i also got a 1991 rm 125 for parts and the clutch basket for it is PERFECT, no marks or nothing, but i dont think they are the same..
Ok, how tight do you torque this basket back on and how tight do you torque the 5 other bolts that hold the hub and all that on?
thanks

TonyJeske

Feb 20, 2007
I would recomend purchasing a Hinson clutch basket/hub/preasure plate combo. (Expensive though) Simply because they are machined out of billet alluminum instead of cast like stock, your clutch components will last a lot longer. Keep in mind it will take care of the clutch drag that the rm125 in notorious for. Also you will need both the inner and outer clutch basket gears so don't throw the basket, because chances are those gears are still good. Also look at the preasure plate. Inspect it on the surface that meets the friction disk. Drag your fingernail across the surface, if you feel a groove anywhere it is now a paperweight (dont reinstall). I can't remember but if the basket won't fit thru the clutch cover hole you will need to disasemble the right side. Drain the oil and coolant first. Pull the kickstarter then remove all the 8mm bolts. Be carefull when removing because your kickstarter assembly and waterpump shaft may have washers that stick to the case with oil. Place the champfered side facing you when placing them. I think that the basket nut is a 27mm nut and the torque is around 50 ft lbs but don't quote me on that but the clutch spring bolts are 7-8ft lbs. I run 8ft lbs on whatever the bike. If you have any ?'s regarding torque specs call your local suzuki dealer and talk to there service department/manager.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
mopower440 said:
Bad thing is that when i bought this 1998 bike, i also got a 1991 rm 125 for parts and the clutch basket for it is PERFECT, no marks or nothing, but i dont think they are the same..

The Suzuki RM125 uses the same clutch basket from 1992-2007.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
Damn, Wish It Was A 1992 Basket Instead Of A 1991..figures..lol..sounds Like It Would Be Cheaper To Just Sell The Bike And Buy Another Brand..

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
Well guys, now im really stumped, i finally tore it down only to find the basket and inner hub are fine, NO notches cut into either one and i even think the basket is an aftermarket because it is black and in such good shape! I dont know how much material the clutches are supposed to have on them but these have about 1 mm on each side and also look good, so now im back where i started, why is this damn thing dragging the clutch? I hate riding it because of this! HELP!!
One more possible clue, when i am releasing the clutch to take off there is a weird grabby feeling and slight humm noise when the clutch starts to grab, this is just when taking off.

Last edited:

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
I dont know what the deal is, it has a brand new hinson basket and hub and new clutches and all, it seems like the pushrod is a hair too short, if i remove the washer that goes between the basket and the inner hub, then the rod is long enough to engage the clutch fully like its supposed to and i can start it in g and find neutral when its running and all, but i dont know if it will hurt anything if i remove the washer..

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
mopower440 said:
I have a 1998 rm 125, the clutch is getting bad so i want to replace it, how complicated is it and do you need special tools? I have rebuilt probably 20 top ends in my life but never had to do a clutch, also replaced clutches in a few cars, but again, never on a bike..lol..also, what do i need besides the clutch plates?
thanks

Buy new plates, and springs, and a gasket at a minimum.

take the time to do a thorough inspection of the clutch basket and clutch boss to see if there are any grooves in them. If there are, take the time to file down the ridges.

Top Bottom