replacing needle bearings in swingarm

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Right off the bat - I have the manual for my bike but not in my hands at the moment (the guy who reworked the suspension still has it) :bang:

I have to replace the bearings in the swingarm. The old ones were toast. I got everything out except the steel case that the needles sit in. Will I be able to pound these out with a socket the same size? And, there isn't a lip in there or any clips to hold them in is there?

Will they be as tight going back in? Use a press for reassembly? Figured I'd ask before ruining something. I have a habit of trying something, then looking at the manual and buying the part twice....

Thanks folks,

It's a '90 KDX 200. Putting new bearings, bushings, and seals in tonight. :(

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I went to lowes and bought some threaded rod nuts and several diffrent sized washers and made a bearing pusher i also used different sized sockets in conjunction with the washers and a metal plant hanger with a round end as a spacer when pushing out the old bearings. I would prefer to push the bearings out by just tightening a nut than banging on them with a hammer to get them out. And there aren't any clips or any thing like that holding them in place. Give me your email and ill send a pic to you if your interested.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You can use a bar clamp in the same fashion using different sockets for spacers/drivers.

The swingarm is aluminum...beating on it with a 40 oz. hammer isn't going to do it any favors.

Put your new bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours. Put a thin coat of never-seize on the new bearing (outside) before your press it in.

Of course, before you chill the bearing, completely clean it out and grease it with the best grease you can get. The general run-of-the-mill black moly-disul chassis grease won't hold up. Those that have used Belray's marine application waterproof grease have been happy with it. I use Hydrotex Hydrosyn70 (blue). My bearings last 2-3 times longer with that grease than any other I've used.

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Thanks. I've done that sort of freezer trick with ball joints on my street rod with good results. I wasn't sure how tight these bearings were going to be going in or out.

I think I will use the vice with a combination of pipes to press them in and out. Good idea with the clamps.

I'm off now until next weekend so this job will be completed by then I'm sure.....well, I think.

Thanks for the input. I know exactly what to expect and which way I will go now. Groovy.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you're familiar with bearings and such then you know there is a right and a wrong end to be pushing on, right?

Press on the numbers.

Top Bottom