Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings..Question

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
I have a CR250R and need to replace the rear wheel bearings and I was wondering about any tips or tricks people may have. In my service manual they recommend using a special tool for removal of the bearing retainer and bearings. Since I do not have this tool I hoping someone else may have already figured out the best way to screw off the retainer. It looks like I can use a screw driver and hammer to loosen it but I don't want to chew it up.

Has anyone done this or should I try to track down the special tool that I probably will only use once?

Thanks

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Freeze new bearings over night.

I use a good sized flat tip screwdriver and a heavy hammer to knock the old bearings out.

Then I use a hammer and socket that's the same diameter as the new bearings to tap them into the hub.

You can also heat up the hub with a propane torch prior to installing new bearings.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
CJR said:
I have a CR250R and need to replace the rear wheel bearings and I was wondering about any tips or tricks people may have. In my service manual they recommend using a special tool for removal of the bearing retainer and bearings. Since I do not have this tool I hoping someone else may have already figured out the best way to screw off the retainer. It looks like I can use a screw driver and hammer to loosen it but I don't want to chew it up.

Has anyone done this or should I try to track down the special tool that I probably will only use once?

Thanks

I used a screwdriver on my 125, and totally ruined the retainer.

Use something softer to drive it off if you aren't going to use the right tool.

lake

Oct 30, 2008
I did what indymx did to get my retainer out. The bearing kit for you 250 should come with a new retainer anyways. well it did for my cr125 so i imagine it would for your 250.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The OP did not list the age of the bike.

If it is an old bike that has seen some creeks and a long time since the last bearing replacement, the old journal could be extremely attached to the hub.

If this is the case, persuasion with hand tools may not be enough.

Maybe the best $30 I ever spent was having a shop press out an old bearing. Wish I'd spent the money BEFORE trying to punch it out myself for a few hours - that baby was not going anywhere without a few tons of pressure.

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
The bike is a 2003 and I don't believe the bearings have been changed yet so I am expecting it to be a challenge. I was going to have my local honda dealer remove the bearings for me to save the hassle and they wanted $65 to do it. I told them they were crazy since I know it would only take about 15 minutes. It really ticked me off since I buy all my parts from them and try to support them as much as possible. The service guys just don't see the big picture and obviously don't know how to run a business.

I guess I will give it a shot by hand and if it doesn't come out fairly easily I will try another shop to see if they are more reasonable. I would do $30 but not $65, that is just highway robbery.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
But those service departments that don't know how to run a business bring in a whole lot more money at most dealerships than new bike sales do.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
2strokerfun said:
But those service departments that don't know how to run a business bring in a whole lot more money at most dealerships than new bike sales do.

Probably, but a 1 hour minimum for what might be a 5 -10 minute job does no favors to the shop's loyal customers.

Sounds like the customer is willing to pay for 30 minutes of shop time, but not 60. IMO, the shop could be flexible on a situation like this, but many (most?) dealerships are not.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
get the retainer tool, i did my bearings on my 02 not long ago, trust me, save yourself the headache and get the tool. i bought mine from some guy on ebay for like 9 bucks. its just a star-ish shaped piece of stainless that fits on your ratchet. im mean hell replacing the retaining ring after you destroy it costs more than 9 bucks in itself

Top Bottom