schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
does it require splitting the cases? what side of the motor should I put on the workbench when I do split the cases, the clutch or stator? I dont want everything to fall out when I pull it apart. the bike is an 87 yz 250. I am in urgent need of help. thanks!

-alex

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Nope.. no splitting..

Remove the clutch side cover though. You'll also need to remove the basket.

Once you have the basket out, and the shift lever off, you should be able to almost pull it straight out.

(there are likely other parts of the shift mechanism that may have to be removed)

It's a pretty simple repair, and shouldn't require much time or effort.

As always, take some pics as you go so you know how things were when you took it apart.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It comes out the right side, its in the "book". No splitting cases. Put it in neutral, and slide it out. Note the spring on the shaft, put it on the new shaft exactly the same. Slide it in, center the shifting pawl with the shifting star, gear teeth centered, bolt it up done. Some have a plastic spacer that goes on the left side before the shifter goes on. Its not much that keeps that shaft from disengaging and causing bizarre shifting problems.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Maybe also, clean thoroughly the splines where the shifter engages and put some new grease on it so that you don't damage the passage on the way out.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
awesome thanks! it looks like i'll be transfering my old shift shat from my busted bottom end to my ebay purchase. the riding itch becomes a rash when you're out of comission all summer!

Top Bottom