clw

Dec 29, 2000
My wife wants to know, do used Gas Gas's sell? Or will I have a garage ornament for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I have been wondering the same lately. I know where I can get an 01 300EC (euro spec) that has one weekend on it for approx $7500 CDN or $5300 US. No matter how cheap it is, if I cant get rid of it it isnt worth anything to me. I already have an 01 400EXC that I know I can sell when the time comes. I just keep thinking of my buddy with a 98 Berg that he cant give away. We keep joking that he should donate it to the Smithsonian Ins. as it will be an antique before he sells it.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
This question comes up quite a bit. It is always slightly more difficult to sell a less well known brand, no matter what you are talking about. However, with the incredible boom that GG is experiencing, resale shouldn't be much of a problem. I had a person tell me last weekend that the moment I decide to sell my '99EC200, to let them know and they would be over to pick it up:) However, I like the bike so much that I have no intention of selling it:cool:

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Sell so soon

scottyr:

Why would somebody want to sell a GG 300 after only one ride? Did they give a reason?

Might be something a wannabe GG owner needs to know.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Sounds OK

Scottyr:
That's not bad. Price or situation.

I, at least, struggled with my '99 EXC250 for almost a year before re-riding a Yamaha and only then put in up for sale.

Lemming:

Glad you like your GG so much. What bike(s) did you own prior to the GG, if I may ask. The reason I'm curious is that a lot of the GG owners are recent KDX converts and, frankly, it doesn't take much to outshine a KDX.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Outshine?

Originally posted by clw
... a lot of the GG owners are recent KDX converts and, frankly, it doesn't take much to outshine a KDX.
I am one of those converts, but don't let that fool you. Prior to choosing the GG I test rode an EC200 along with a KTM 200EXC, a KTM 250EXC, a Husky WR125, a Honda CR125, a Honda CR250 and a Fredette modified KDX220. At the time I was trying to decide whether or not to stay in the 200 class or move to the 250 or Vet class. Out of all those bikes I preferred the handling, power delivery and ergonomics of the GG. When I decided to move to the Vet class, a sweet deal on a '98 EC250 fell into my lap. I test rode the bike and it took less than a minute to convince me it was just what I was looking for.

As for resale, about the only time you see one for sale is when the owner is trading to a different/newer model. :cool:

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Some parts of the country may be a little harder than others and in general will be harder to sell than jap bikes. But if priced right, like any bike, it will sell. I bought mine used and had to cross 2 state lines to go get it because they aren't many used ones for sale. If your main concern is resale, buy a jap bike, but if you really want a great bike, go with the GasGas.
I've had a bunch of different bikes prior to this EC200 and now I'm a much better & faster rider. It's got a very stable chassis, handles great, & makes good power everywhere. :)

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
clw - I was riding a KLX before, so yes, there was a big difference:eek:

And yes it ticked me off to no end when KDXfile bought the same bike that I have. Why you ask, well now I'm not really sure that I'm faster than him in the woods:scream:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I bought a EC300 while I still owned my EC250. I was taking a risk since I was planning on the $$ from the 250 helping me to buy the 300.

I sold the 250 7 days after the 300 came home. I placed NO ads except for DRN (which the sale did not come from)

I could of sold the 300 3 times already if I wanted to.

Obviously the popularity has increased tremendously in my area!

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Lunch time blues

Don't ya just hate it when it's beautiful outside on a work day and the forecast is for rain this weekend.

Lemming and kdxfile--friends? Guess you're SERA compatriots.

OFFROADR:

250 to 300, right choice I presume? I've ridden 250's since '95 but think at 46 it's probably time to go big. Any regrets after the switch? And, not getting personal or nothing, are you a big guy? I'm 175, SSRA rider and don't know if a 300 will wear me down (or out) faster than my 250's. 300's feel good for a lap, but after 60+ miles I don't know.

Your insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh yeah, EC not XC, right?

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Jap bikes sell easy...maybe, but

kdxfile:

Almost forgot. The easiest bike I ever sold used was my '99 KTM EXC250. The afternoon it came out in Cycletrader the phone lit up and the following morning a guy drove 6 hours from Georgia to take it. And I HATED that bike.
Go figure.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
The 300 was a great choice IMO. I haven't raced it alot (2 HS and 1 Enduro)
and once I got it dialed in I love it. It really suits my riding style in the woods which is riding in the low to mid RPMs. I never have been a RPM screamer (except for the open fields between woods sections)

Also keep in mind that the 300 is NOT like a open class bike. Its a 'little more everywhere' power. Its in the same chassis as the 250 so depending on your riding style it shouldn't wear you out anymore than the 250.

I weigh 195 (15 more than I should :eek: ) I have 44kg front springs and the stock rear with 95mm of sag. MX Tech anodized the fork lowers and revalved the Zokes.

Yes I have an EC.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Originally posted by clw

... a lot of the GG owners are recent KDX converts and, frankly, it doesn't take much to outshine a KDX.

I am a converted Yamaha YZWRA250 rider.... I bought my 99 EC200 from a DRN member and have been very happy with the bike. In fact, I am thinking about a 01 XC 125:D I'd really like a Euro EC125.....

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
evolution XR to KDX to KTM to GasGas

Originally posted by clw

I've owned and ridden a few bikes and the GG ( 99 EC300) has out shined them all hands down, for my type and style of riding. I 'm 220 lb and like tight technical stuff and hill climbs. I looked at a 00 KTM EXC 300 prior to the GG. The EXC is an awesome bike, however I liked the ergos, handling and tamer power deliver (and softer seat) of the GG EC. Just a matter of preference

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
My buddy refuses to ride mine again after the first time. He claims he will be spoiled and have to sell his 300 EXC for the superior steering Spanish bike.

clw,

Don't worry about the XC vs. EC. The 300 XC and EC are closer in feel than the 250s. Add a flywheel weight and your set.
I also got my WP 43s working fantastic.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Top Bottom