nitris223

Dec 11, 2005
I have just bought 2 1987 KX 250's. Both bikes are not running. One is in pieces and the other I was told needs a hot rod kit. Here is what little history I know about the bikes. The one in pieces is all stock but blown up scored cyl and the bottom end has been left open to the world with no protection , so it is really dirty. To me it is more of a spare parts bike. The other one has been piped, ported and polished, but it has also been resleeved. The cylinders on these bikes are nikisal or electrofusion are they not. I have heard that resleeving doesn't really work well with these bikes and causing overheating problems. Basically what I am going to do is try and get this back to stock just for some joy riding. It seems like I can only get parts for 87-89. Is there any other years that will fit this bike. Can I put a different cylinder on from like a 91 or something or drop in a complete engine from a different year. Do they change the motor mount locations often. Where is a good place to look for parts. I have been out of MX bikes for about 12 yrs now and haven't really been keeping up with the changes. Wrenching on thises bike is no problem for me, I work alot on snowmobiles , so it is just another 2 stroke with gears . Just looking to see what you guys have done or heard about this model kx 250.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Couple of things...
1) It's Friday afternoon, might need to wait more than an hour for a reply.
2) The title of your post ( " New to Forum" ) should indicate what the question is.... no one can tell there's a question to answer :)

I'll edit it for you.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I know a few things about late 90's KX's but not the 80's.

Now if you have any questions about music from the late 80's I might be of assistance. :)

Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer than this. Good luck.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
nitris223 said:
I have just bought 2 1987 KX 250's. Both bikes are not running. One is in pieces and the other I was told needs a hot rod kit. Here is what little history I know about the bikes. The one in pieces is all stock but blown up scored cyl and the bottom end has been left open to the world with no protection , so it is really dirty. To me it is more of a spare parts bike. The other one has been piped, ported and polished, but it has also been resleeved. The cylinders on these bikes are nikisal or electrofusion are they not. I have heard that resleeving doesn't really work well with these bikes and causing overheating problems. Basically what I am going to do is try and get this back to stock just for some joy riding. It seems like I can only get parts for 87-89. Is there any other years that will fit this bike. Can I put a different cylinder on from like a 91 or something or drop in a complete engine from a different year. Do they change the motor mount locations often. Where is a good place to look for parts. I have been out of MX bikes for about 12 yrs now and haven't really been keeping up with the changes. Wrenching on thises bike is no problem for me, I work alot on snowmobiles , so it is just another 2 stroke with gears . Just looking to see what you guys have done or heard about this model kx 250.

The cylinders are electrofusion plated. Sleeving can be done to repair a cylinder, but whenever possible, it is better to have the cylinder repaired and replated rather than sleeving, as plating transfers heat better, is more durable and the cost is pretty much the same for either option. The advantage of steel sleeve is that it can be bored if damaged, but the advantages of plating outweigh this.

I'm not exactly sure on what years you can swap, but if you go to Kawasaki's site, they have their parts microfiche on there, and you can look up the parts to see what interchanges. The mounts may be the same, but the parts numbers different for other years, because sometimes a painted part and a natural aluminum part are the same casting, but listed differently because of the coating. The only way is to find someone who is really up on their Kawi's, or measure them, at least beyond matching up part number in the microfiche.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Like he said, it is Electrofusion plated. Again, like he said, get it repaired and plated.

I don't think another year cylinder will fit it. 1987 was the last year for black painted, but I think '88 was updated beyond paint scheme.

nitris223

Dec 11, 2005
Thanks Okiewan for editing, I would have done the replating on the cylinder , but the person who owned the bikes before got the cylinder resleeved on the one and then had the porting and polishing done to match. I was told that all it needs is a hot rod kit and it should run again. I am going to look a little further into the heart of the bike to see if there is any more trouble lurking around the corner. Are the pipes pretty picky on these bikes. I was told that it was ported and polished, could I still use the same pipe and put a stock cylinder on and just rejet. I don't know the make of the pipe as I have not broght the bikes home yet, still snowmobiling. I guess I should get cracking on them so I can get parts and running for spring.

ashwell

Feb 20, 2006
alright buddy, i have a kx 250 88 model, i also have the same problem, my piston snapped inhalf when riding, and it has scored my cylinder, so i will have to get it bored out so i guess you will have to have the same done, it isnt expensive, only £15 GBP, it will be worth it, but not to sure howmuch you could get it done, but you have to remember that the bike is old, and is it worth spending loads on it?

Top Bottom