Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I'm almost done 'rebuilding' a '75 MX400 Yamaha. I wasn't trying to make it look stock, and used gloss black Rustoleum to paint the frame, brake backing plates, motor, etc.. I just wanted to clean it up.

I'm about to get the top end back from machining for a '78 IT400 Yamaha though that I want to 'restore' to as close to showroom condition as I can. I've also got a '77 IT400 rolling chassis, which is identical, so I can actually enjoy the '78 while I correctly redo the '77 frame, then swap the motor across (and add all the clean plastic, etc. that I've been collecting).

My question is this: The stock engine and frame are black, but not the high gloss black that comes out of a spray can. I've got a spray gun (unused --- $16 at Harbor Freight Tools). Can anyone suggest how I go about doing the repaint on my IT (frame, engine, wheel hubs, etc.) so it is as authentic as possible? I'd really like to get this bike back original, then list it above the 'perfect condition' NADA price and store it if I don't get that --- maybe go out and fondle it from time to time --- or ride it on those perfect spring days after the mud has almost dried up and before the dust is a hazard.

Bike love is always a little irrational, and I'm completely smitten with the late mid-seventies Blue Beast (the '77 did it to me before she decided to commit suicide). I was going to restore it and ride it, but now that I picked up the MX400 am hoping to get my jollies on it, and only sell the IT if it's to someone who I know will love her as much as I do, give her a good home, buy her diamonds, furs, and all the things I can't do (I have a wife).

Humor me if you can. I'm a romantic. What do I need to put close to the ladies skin to keep her happy?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Most vintage restorations do not use powder coating, but spray paint as you have suggested. Unless you are doing a lot, use the good spray cans/brands from the big auto parts stores. Using the cans, you can do a little or a lot at a time with no problem. I have found that most colors were pretty easy to match--especially the blacks. Cheers John

Top Bottom