Restoring an '88 KDX, need a few pointers

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
I have an '88 KDX 200 that I'm restoring. It is in rideable condition, but needs a few odds and ends.

Top end - Should I just order a Wiseco top-end kit for it? Any additional parts/gaskets I should plan on ordering?

Silencer - It has an old "Hush Puppy" silencer on it that is in dire need of replacement. I have a friend with stock silencer from a 2000 KDX, will it fit?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Anything will fit when you have a 3lb sledge and a dremel. I'd be willing to bet that the mounts won't line up, but I think the diameters should be the same (or close enough with a rubber sleeve that you'll never notice). If it has a steel body you should be able to move the mounts with a little grinding and welding. I had an old xr500 that I made the supertrapp fit by welding a tab on it (guy I bought it from had just clamped it on and let the muffler swing free). Just my 0.02, but I would get it and check on the bike.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Proxy said:
I have an '88 KDX 200 that I'm restoring. It is in rideable condition, but needs a few odds and ends.

Top end - Should I just order a Wiseco top-end kit for it? Any additional parts/gaskets I should plan on ordering?

Buying a Wiseco kit is a great idea. Don't forget to buy a Wiseco small end bearing, also. It doesn't come with it in the kit. An aftermarket top end gasket kit would be great, too. Some might come with the o-ring for the power valve system, but probably not the oil seal. After 20 years, I think the seal should be in need of replacement. Also, check on the exhaust pipe copper gasket and two o-rings.

Proxy said:
Silencer - It has an old "Hush Puppy" silencer on it that is in dire need of replacement. I have a friend with stock silencer from a 2000 KDX, will it fit?

I doubt it will fit since the newer version is at an angle different from stock. Jeff Fredette has the DG silencer for sale at FRP Offroad (www.frpoffroad.com).

Lucky7521

Feb 19, 2008
Also restoring an 88

I am also restoring an 88 KDX200.

I picked it up for free this winter from a guys garage. All it needed was a good cleaning, tune up, and a new set of front brake pads. After tearing it apart, cleaning, and putting it back together, the bike fired on it's third kick!

I had it out last weekend for the first time and absolutely fell in love! Keep in mind this is my first dirtbike, and have always been on quads.

I just purchased a fork rebuilding kit on ebay that has new bushings, seals, and pistons. I'm going to try and tackle that this weekend.

Please keep me informed of any mods or tips you figure out with your 88 and I'll do the same.

Corey

kawikdx08

Apr 2, 2008
You might think about a ProX piston kit too. I think they have half or quarter steps up so if you check your bore and its worn, you should probably go to the next step up because you cant bore the cylinder

bigbolx

Dec 25, 2007
welcome Proxy and Lucky7521 to the wonderful world of the "C" model, i've got my hands full at the moment refreshing my 86,87+88,

my 86

and my 87+88

my 86 before the stripdown.

Lucky7521

Feb 19, 2008
After riding again this weekend, and becoming a little more comfortable on the bike, I noticed I'm having problems shifting above 2nd gear. I've had no issues with my clutch at all, but just can't seem to shift it from 2nd to 3rd when in the upper RPM's. If I shift super early in my rpm's I can shift all the way through the gears, but as soon as I'm in my powerban I have no chance to shift up. I just replaced the case oil 2 weeks ago and checked it again, and the level is fine and doesn't seem to be any leaks. Any ideas on what I can check, or should replace?

As I'm sure everyone knows getting comfortable on a dirtbike can be a very misleading feeling then the next thing you know your bike just throws you off and there you are laying in the middle of the field wondering how that was just possible.

At the end of my ride I couldn't get the bike to kick over again. It sounded like my plug was fouled, but I think I'm going to do the same as Proxy and redo the top end with all brand new gaskets.

Thanks to everyone on here for the great input on the KDX!

Top Bottom