Results of shock oil replacement

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Never done it before but finally did it and boy am I glad I did!
The problem was that I sometimes nose dived from a lipped jump that had only a slight inclination. (tapped out in 3rd) I had to stiffen the front compression (yes it does have stiffer springs) and soften the rear compression to lessen it but it still liked to happen.
Turns out the 14 year old oil was causing just enough stiction (static friction) to kick up the rear a bit on that lipped jump.
Now when I move the rear up/down (with hands or butt) theres hardly any stiction (no dead mans zone). smooth!
And when I ride on the rock roads here its a lot smoother.
I highly recommend doing it if you have an old bike.
It wasn't hard. I just took off the shock, released the nitrogen, removed the bleeder screw, blew air into the hole with a spray can nozzle to speed up the outflow of old oil while the shock was upside down, then removed the gas bladder to let out the last of the oil, filled the shock with new 5W shock oil thru the bleeder screw hole (pouring it in very slowly), then filled the bladder chamber 1/3 with oil, then put the bladder in the chamber (secured with lock-ring), then put the bleeder screw in. Actually after putting in some oil I put the shock on the bike and moved the rear end up/down some and then removed the shock and let all the oil out. This was to clean out the old oil around the internal piston.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
A lot of guys will tell you that you need to take the whole thing apart but doing it your way is a lot better than just letting it go year after year with the stock fish oil they put in it

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
well said.
maybe you can clean out the last 1% of oil by taking it apart. big deal.
I'll probably change the oil every year now. I change the fork oil 2-3 times per year so it seemed ridiculous not to change the shock oil. Its just that I'd never done it and wasn't sure if I could.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom