Returning off road rider, WR500

pellam

Sep 28, 2003
I parked my dirt bikes when the drive to the area became more enjoyable than the ride. The nearest place was 1 hour away. My favorite place was 4 hours away. I tried dual sporting on my XR650R. But it seemed like I was always out of gas when I finally got to the fun stuff.

I switched to street only. I put 100k miles on my V Strom in 5 years. But after doing some track days on it this year street riding seemed tame. So I dug out my remaining dirt bike. A 93 Yamaha WR500 that I bought new. It has been sitting for 6 years or so.

I put gas in it and it started on the 3rd kick! Yamaha quality! I was concerned about crank seals and the like. But nothing major has arisen. I've had it out a half dozen times and it runs fine.

I'm waiting on Wiseco to get a piston kit. Then I'll rebuild the crank at the same time.

I'll post a pic if I can figure out the rules here.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
YAY for the Yamaha WR500!

:huge: thumbs-up !

I have no idea where in the world you live, but I've plated my WR500 and try to take it up north to near the Houghton Lake area once and a while to go riding. It's a real treat of a bike. This summer I had a custom autoclutch machined for it, so now it is darned near impossible to stall. When I wash out, I just pick it up and twist the throttle and go. Rear wheel lockups are no problem anymore. With the porting and head-work by Eric Gorr, it runs on 93 octane, never fouls the plug, and goes 50 miles of trail on about 2.5 gallons.

I hope you get to enjoys yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Here's the rules for posting an image: Put your picture somewhere on the internet. Look at it, right-click and press "view image" . Copy the resulting link. Then paste it into your message, bracketed by the "
" tags.

like so:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…