Returning rider needs advice (long)

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Stan,

I'm really leaning to a 2-stroke now that you've pointed out the maintenance issues. I do plan to do what I can, which will require me to learn things I do not currently know. I just don't think the high performance 4 stroke will be the right platform to my bike mechanics on.

When you say "shade tree" mechanic, it gives me the impression that you could do that kind of work anywhere provided there's enough lighting and weather conditions are right. Is this an accurate inference?

I think I'm going to look for a used 2 stroke... KDX, EXC, or any of the other MX'ers and just get myself something that in my budget. I'll have to wait for the IRS check to come in first though. I'll also probably need to learn what to do about the seat height to give me an inch or two advantage. 37 inches is fairly high when your inseam is 30. What can I do to get that down to around 34(ish)?

I would really like to come out and meet you all that ride here in the DFW area. It might be a good month+ until my purchase, but I look forward to getting back in the saddle.

Thanks again,

Jason

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Jason, I also have a 30" inseam. You do have to set the sag of the rear suspension for your weight, at which point the bike will "squat" down a bit. I do just fine on a full-sized, stock KTM 300exc. But I have to admit that until I rode it I wouldn't have believed so!

You are also correct on your assumption about the conditions you need to do the work in. A 2 stroke top end is something you can easily do in an afternoon -- 30 minutes once you've done a few.

I strongly recommend you go to Eric Gorr's Web site and buy his book called Motocross and Offroad Performance Handbook. This book tells you everything you'd ever want to know about buying and selling a used dirt bike, setting up your bike, doing top ends, and all the weaknesses of many of the most popular bike, going back 20 years! The companion one on riding techniques is also excellent. Go to http://www.ericgorr.com/books/books.html and you can read all about them. These 2 books were the best ~$50 I've spent in this sport and answer 80% of the questions you see posted on forums like these.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Doug,

Thanks. This is probably the best forum thread I've ever been a part of. I have learned alot and am greatly appreciative of all the infomation and insight.

I'm going to go check out that site now.

Thanks again,

Jason

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Grissom29
... When you say "shade tree" mechanic, it gives me the impression that you could do that kind of work anywhere provided there's enough lighting and weather conditions are right. Is this an accurate inference?
It's funny some of the expressions we use....

Now, don't take offense Grissom, but just curious...

Are you from outside the States originally?

Or maybe that expression isn't familiar to those from Texas... but Stan is from Texas... :think:

FWIW, "shade tree mechanic" just refers to the classic situation of a guy working on his car, in his yard, under a shade tree. Meaning the average handyman can do it, without specialized tools, and you don't need a professionally certified mechanic to perform the work. It does not mean that these bikes in particular are especially easy to work on under a shade tree!

Anyway, it just reminded me of funny expressions we Americans have, and just as other countries/cultures have. Spent New Year's Eve with a guy from England, and this came up. Those Brits have some weird sayings!

When my son was 5, I was telling him about septic tanks, and how they are buried about 8' underground. After a minute or two, he asked me "Is that 8 of your feet, or 8 of my feet." :)

< Back on topic warning...>

I also have a 30" inseam, and straddle a KDX with no problem. The seats on them are fairly soft. You would not have a problem. I also ride with guys shorter than me who ride bikes taller than a KDX. They take off the seat cover, trim down the seat foam with an electric knife to lower the seat height.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I agree with the above posts. Also a 30" inseamer, I have shaved down the seat foam and even shortened my subframe on my cr250 to make it more comfortable for trails. As far as maintenance, since I'm not racing around that much, there really is no need for top end service very often. I ride every other weekend, on average, so I do a top end about every 2 years. And the cost is only $120. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to work on your bike once you start. Eric Gorr's books are an excellent source of info, as are these forums. Both have helped me on numerous occassions, especially with bike setup. For me, the 2-stroke was the only way to go because I wanted the lightest bike I could find. Also, that is all I rode as a kid, and love the snap of the motor.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
Now, don't take offense Grissom, but just curious...

Are you from outside the States originally?

Or maybe that expression isn't familiar to those from Texas... but Stan is from Texas... :think:

FWIW, "shade tree mechanic" just refers to the classic situation of a guy working on his car, in his yard, under a shade tree. Meaning the average handyman can do it, without specialized tools, and you don't need a professionally certified mechanic to perform the work. It does not mean that these bikes in particular are especially easy to work on under a shade tree!

No offense taken.

I was born in Arlington, Texas and have lived in Tx most of my life. The family moved to Louisiana for about 5 years with my father's employment when I was a kid. We came back to Texas as soon as we could!

I have never heard that expression before. Perhaps it's because I've not been around many environments to have mechanical discussions. Though I didn't convey my interpretation very well, I basically understood your meaning but may have viewed it a bit more literal. I got a connotation of being able to do the work anywhere (even the field or campsite, not just the garage) with some basic knowledge, not requiring professional assistance.

It's always good to learn new terminology. Thanks for sharing.

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by darringer
I agree with the above posts. Also a 30" inseamer, I have shaved down the seat foam and even shortened my subframe on my cr250 to make it more comfortable for trails. As far as maintenance, since I'm not racing around that much, there really is no need for top end service very often. I ride every other weekend, on average, so I do a top end about every 2 years. And the cost is only $120. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to work on your bike once you start. Eric Gorr's books are an excellent source of info, as are these forums. Both have helped me on numerous occassions, especially with bike setup. For me, the 2-stroke was the only way to go because I wanted the lightest bike I could find. Also, that is all I rode as a kid, and love the snap of the motor.

Wow, your my size and you ride a CR250? That is great to know. I did manage fairly well when I was a teen on my CR125, and I weigh about 30 more pounds than I did back then.

I think you have pushed the final inch for a 2 stroke for me. I will prefer lighter weight, and I loved the snap of the motor as well. I will likely tune mine more for low to mid-range but will want it to scream when I request it. My street bike is causing me to realize that I still have those tendencies, and the dirt is the place for it.

Thank you Darringer,

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
BTW...

I can be contacted directly now at: *EDIT* jason@_thiswebsite_.net[/email] :thumb:

*EDIT* I removed the address because I'm getting spam on this account now... I knew better than to do that. GRRR!!!!

Jason

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
BTW...

I can be contacted directly now at: jason@dirtrider.net :thumb:

Jason

Thank you for your support SIR. The support is appreciated.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Tony Eeds
Thank you for your support SIR. The support is appreciated.

It was my pleasure! This is a great forum! You guys didn't make the decision tough at all. :thumb:

Now if I could just get my boss to give me my W2 early so I can get that IRS check sooner... I'll be riding something soon. :yeehaw:

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
I just wanted to say that this thread has been extremely helpful to me in my research.

I also wanted to share some of my thoughts that have been developed as a result of my research.

I have decided I want a 2 stroke, and ultimately I would like that to be either a KDX or an EXC.

From what I'm seeing available via ebaymotors, cycletrader, and my local papers though... there doesn't seem to be as many KDX or EXC on the market. That speaks volumes to me about the fact that people like their rides and want to keep them. There have been a few available but the price range is not going to be in my range. We shall see when we get there though, you never know what's going to pop up.

In the event that I do not find what I'm looking for at that time, I am not opposed to buying a 125 MX bike to ride for a season. This would get me up and getting reaquainted with the sport. My studies indicate that this would not be an ideal long term bike for me, but I have ridden one before and did fine with it on a similiar type of riding. I'm more interested in getting back up there than getting the perfect ride. I've got the rest of my life ahead of me to save to buy a brand new KDX or EXC as an upgrade if I need to.

For now I think I will try and research the different characteristics of the various 125's so that if I need to go that route, I know more about how my preferences relate to them. As always, input is welcome here..

Thanks again for all the input everyone!

Jason

*Edited for spelling*

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
... From what I'm seeing available via ebaymotors, cycletrader, and my local papers though... there doesn't seem to be as many KDX or EXC on the market.
You'll probably see a spike in used bike ads around February/March/April as people get the dirt bike bug in the early spring.

Also check your local AMA district web site or district newspaper for classified ads. Not sure what your district is, but my AMA district (D-14) has classified ads on their web site and monthly newspaper.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Smit-Dog,

That is good news for me then, as I should be shopping in March. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I'll look into the AMA as well. I'd not thought of that.

BTW... that's a great looking KDX your selling. I hope I find something like that in March.

Jason

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
After my 20 year layoff, I started back up on a 125. It was a good way for me to re-acquaint myself with the fundamentals of riding again. What surprised me was that although my brain knew what to do, my 40+ year old body was not quite as quick to follow. The 125 gave me a margin of safety that my 250 does not. Transition to the 250 was much easier after about a year on the 125. After about 6 months I was getting bored with the 125 power. By the way, all 3 of my recent bikes came from Ebay. I have been fortunate, as you must be exteremely careful with the quality of bikes that are found there. Also, in my case, the mechanical condition was not a major issue if the price was right, since working on the bikes are not a chore to me, but a pleasure. Sorry for the long post, but thought this might help.

Darrin

Top Bottom