Rev pipe with flywheel weight = Woods pipe??

r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Just a silly question,
I have a '04 200 with a FMF Rev pipe on,most of the rides we do are very technical/tight single track,so FMF woods pipe for more bottom end torque would be the right choice for me.
Now,if i were to fit a 10oz flywheel weight,would that make it kinda close to the Woods pipe,without spending the bigger dollars on new a pipe??

I guess im asking the handfull of riders who have experimented with both types of pipes,and flywheel weights too!

Any advice kindly appreciated :nod:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A flywheel weight would make it worse. The pipe shifts power away from the bottom end and the flywheel weight is harder for the engine to get spinning. The flywheel weight smooths the power, it doesn't make more low end.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
The choices I see you have are either stick with what you have and just expect to use your clutch a little more -or- switch pipes. Better options are adding an auto-clutch and/or getting the RB head and carb mods. Personally, I think the latter two are the way to go over any pipe or FWW. Forget the FWW as, IMO, they really just are not necessary on the KDX.

BTW, if you want a good deal on an auto-clutch, Inda arranged a killer deal for KDX E and H series owners on the Dyna Ring for only $299 if you purchase through KDXrider!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
_JOE_ said:
A flywheel weight would make it worse. The pipe shifts power away from the bottom end and the flywheel weight is harder for the engine to get spinning. The flywheel weight smooths the power, it doesn't make more low end.
JOE is right.
I'd get the woods pipe if I wanted more low end.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yes, technically Joe is right. The flywheel weight won't add any low end. It will however make the low end more tractable, and make it very difficult to stall the engine. If crawling through tight single track is the objective, a flywheel weight would be a benefit in it's own right, even if the effect is quite different from switching the pipe for a torque pipe. All IMO, of course.

That said, I've never figured any KDX actually needs a flywheel weight. The stock flywheel is hefty as is, and does it's job just fine. If what you're after is more power on the bottom, hold out for the pipe. If you're looking to make it more controllable and eliminate some "snap" up top, then the flywheel weight might help you.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I don't know what it'll do to your 200, but I put a rev pipe on my 220 and liked it a lot. It brought the power band up in the RPM range quite a bit and made the bottom end a lot softer. I added a flywheel because I hoped that it would help keep the engine from stalling so easy when the rear brake is applied. This made the bottom end even softer, didn't help all that much for keeping the engine from stalling while applying the rear brake, but did make the power transfer to the dirt without excess wheelspin better, once on the pipe. I guess I could take or leave the flywheel if had to do it over again.

phonedudekdx

May 8, 2007
When I got my 200, it came with the rev pipe on it. it also has a 12T cs and a 50t rear sprocket. it will lug up just about anything. you might try that cause its cheaper than a new pipe.

r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
I Shelled out for a Woods pipe,and for tight single track,woods riding ....it is,for me at least...hands down easier to ride with,and more enjoyable too.

Top Bottom