Wilky

Oct 21, 2004
How much better will my 04 CR250 suspension be over stock if I sent it to one of the top suspension shops? I am a C MX rider trying to break into the B class. I have heard that a well suspended bike builds confidence in the rough stuff and I think that is just what I need to keep up the the B guys. The late model Hondas are suppose to have really good stock suspension for the target weight class of 165-185 pound MX riders (I'm 180). My concern is that after plopping down $500 for a revalve that my suspension won't be much better that stock.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Scott

+30

Aug 2, 2005
rework

Hi,
Im not an suspension expert, I tried lowering forks in clamps and a few setting changes and still wanted less abuse. I had RT gold vlvs installed and my local pro tuned my susp. changed stock midvlv to standard check vlv set up not sure what they do to the stacks for that. He also drop the oil volume 20cc's and used lighter springs-I was looking for easier settling into corners less headshake and a little more high speed stability on long start straights. After the basic mods -I had way more ability to push through high speed chop without getting squirley, but most everthing else Im not talented enough to tell the difference. I have talked with John M. from moto-pro suspension and he seems to have alot of good advice they even have a suspension school. Ive never heard anything bad from MB1, RG3 or factory connection users if that helps. Btw does your 04 cr250 have any bottom? I tried the kehin conversion on my 03 and went back to the mikuni. I have to use a darn fmf gnarly to get any help on the bottom and it just kills the the top. I shift like mad because of it. :think:
stats-+30 160lbs
c rider trying for b.
better safe than sorry-poor judge of distance "overjumper"
03 cr 250-

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
Sorry to drop in this post, but I find it so ironic that a Wilkey and a Wilky are so far apart in knowledge of suspension :) Anyways to answer your question. My friend sent his to Jeremy Wilkey at MXtech, and is very happy with the suspension now. He said it doesn't beat him up so fast, and he can ride longer now. Hey call up Jeremy, and tell him you are Wilky on DirtRider.net. He might get a kick out of having the same name almost :nod: .

djp2k3

Dec 15, 2003
Anyone who races should definately get their suspension revalved! It makes a considerable difference, no matter how good the magazines say the stock suspension is. You'll have more confidence coming up short on jumps or over-jumping and also charging into corners.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
djp2k3 said:
Anyone who races should definately get their suspension revalved! It makes a considerable difference, no matter how good the magazines say the stock suspension is. You'll have more confidence coming up short on jumps or over-jumping and also charging into corners.
Oh, and like many people who have gone fast. I would rather spend all my money on suspension and be able to ride a whole moto full on, rather than spend my money on a motor and mods, that I can only ride half the race, and then am tired. Suspension will help you go faster than any motor mod.

Wilky

Oct 21, 2004
Thanks again for the replies. You reaffirmed what I thought to be true Looks like a trip to the MX Tech shop here in Phoenix is in order.

It's kinda funny how mine and Jeremy's last names are so simular but our knowledge of suspension is not. A funny thing happened about a year ago when I took a shock in for service at the local MX Tech shop here in Phoenix. When I gave the counter clerk my customer info she looked at me kinda strange and asked me if I was related to Jeremy.

+30 said:
Btw does your 04 cr250 have any bottom? I tried the kehin conversion on my 03 and went back to the mikuni. I have to use a darn fmf gnarly to get any help on the bottom and it just kills the the top. I shift like mad because of it. QUOTE]

Try the JD jetting kit, it really helped with the low end and throttle response on my bike without taking away from the nice top end the these CRs have. I think that Eric Gorr porting would be the next thing to do. Porting is next on my list after suspension work

Scott

Top Bottom