wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
looking for some input here. i've got someone who will powder coat the frame on my '00 520sx for free. any color. not sure if i should do it though. is there anything i need to be aware of besides plugging holes? have any of you guys completely torn your rfs off the frame? any suggestions would be helpful. btw, if i do it, i think i'll go with black frame. i think the euro fact. guys have black frames? thanks for the input guys.

MARK # 51

Apr 18, 2000
there is a guy name brad smith in texas with a 2001 380sx. it is powder coated in orange. it really stands out. you can see it from a distance. i dont know an email address for him, but you can get him on a web site called southerndirtbike.com there is a message board there call moto-pinions. go to the general section and ask for SMITHBOYS. he is a great guy and im sure he would help you out with any questions about tearing the bike down.

JEFF SAND

May 24, 2001
Call a heat treat vendor

Ktms frames are powdercoated high strength steel. Your vendor hast to "burn off the original powdercoat then sandblast. Some of the burn off temperatures can be in the range of heat treating or normalizing. Be careful with the aluminum parts like subframes and the swing arm as these parts can become annealed. Call a heat treat vendor and ask for information on what might happen to your 4130 steel frame with the temperatures you get from your powder coater. Better safe than sorry

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
heat treat vendor

i think i'll leave the aluminum out of the powder coat party. thanks for the info jeff. i'm wondering how you'd go about finding a heat treat vendor...
is it necessary to totally burn off the old paint? just curious.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have had two different bikes powder coated (non-ktm's) and both were dipped in an "acid bath" to remove the old powder coatings. I basically removed all parts (including the steering stem races) and took them the frame, subframe, and footpegs and then returned a week later to pick them up. Both bikes have held up extremely well with the new powder coating, and I plan to never try to paint a bike again.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
So the stock KTM frame gray is a powder coat?

If you were going to change the color I think orange would look great. I remember a few years ago seeing the factory Suzukis up close, they had yellow frames and it looked great with the plastic.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
Are the stock KTM frames not enamel coated & then painted ?

If you live down by the coast and the frame gets scratched and that area starts rusting the rust tends to creep underneath the powder coating and then it is the beginning of the end as they say...

Top Bottom