Blaz1

Apr 5, 2010
hello everyone, recently on my rmz 250 my renegade suspension has started leaking through the seals. i have new ones from all balls racing. but what my problem is what thickness of oil should i put back in the forks? i bought the bike with the suspension so i dont know what weight is in the forks. all help is appreciated. Thanks

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Since we're on this subject, how do you convert some companies fork oil claimed weights? Some call theirs 5w, 7w, and others 80w-90w, very light/ultra light, etc...?
BelRay seems to keep it simple (5w, 7w.)

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Just use quality shock oil

If you want to replace seals, have the right tools, and a shop manual use their guidelines for seal replacement and oil weight/quantity. There is a science to suspension, however, if you want to valve and tune you might want to go with a good shop - there are a few that come to mind. I use Bel Ray Fork Oil. Depending on which bike dictates which weight I use. I adjust levels based on what results I want. For example: I just did a set of vintage forks with 15W @ 7" from the top of the tube. The book specifies 20W @ 6". I know two other riders, same weight, same bike, that use a "wildly" different set-up. Why? Because there is no one set-up for everyone. If you want to learn about oil weight and centistroke/sec conversions go ahead. There is a ton of info out there. You may have already done the work, so, next time think about how the bike is reacting decide if you want a good suspension and consider that.

Top Bottom