LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Towards the end of my second lap at a harescrambles yesterday, I lost the front end and landed on a rock. The rock hit in the vicinity of my left kidney, and the chest protector didn't cover it (but the kidney belt did). Someone picked my bike up, and after a couple minutes I got up and got back on and finished the lap. I knew adrenaline was keeping the pain down, but I called it a day knowing that I was going to hurt later. And it did.

Now I have a big purple bruise on my thigh, but no visible bruise on the ribs. The area is sore to the touch, and if I twist in certain ways, plust I get a fairly sharp pain if I sneeze. Otherwise, it is more of a constant dull ache/pain.

I know that the doctors can't really do anything, except take an X-ray and tell me whether it is broken or not. Knowing that, I don't see the point in visiting the doctor, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I know you guys have been there before, how do broken ribs feel compared to bruised ribs??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Been there. A bruised or cracked rib could cause what your describing a broke one for sure. You REALLY should go see the doc to get it looked at if it doesn't subside in the next day or two because a broke rib could do some damage to other pieces inside of LoriKTM, where a crack as long as it's allowed to heal will just be painful if you sneeze, laugh, etc...

Get it checked out DW is near.:D

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I broke 4 ribs along time ago and I do remember that I could actually feel them move whenever I coughed,sneezed or laughed and there was lots of pain. You might be lucky and only have a bruise, but be care just the same.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Sorry to hear about your crash Lori. Bruised or cracked ribs= no fun :(
Can you sneeze or cough without pain?
When I cracked a rib or two I couldn't do either of these without some serious pain. A doctors visit wouldn't be a bad idea.
It took about 2 weeks for my pain to go away.
Good luck in your recovery.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Lori,
In case you haven’t already decided, go get it checked out. Papa’s right, when I bruised some ribs, I couldn’t breath with out lots of pain, let alone sneeze or laugh. The way you described the fall, you may have injured something else besides the ribs.

Let us know what the DOCTOR says

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I appreciate the concern, everyone. (Geez, you guys are a bunch of worry warts!)
I wanted to give it a couple days for the after-race soreness and tiredness to go away before I jumped to conclusions.

Yes, I get a twinge when I sneeze or cough (or laugh). I can breathe pretty well, although there is some soreness with deep breathing. I wouldn't consider it a LOT of pain, though, mostly uncomfortable.

I just need a good excuse for the doctor (falling off the ladder was Dave's idea, but I'm not partial to ladders!) Unfortunately, I don't want to be told that I can't ride for 6 weeks, if it really is broken. :(

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
Same thing happened to me a month ago. I never did go to the doctor and the pain from deep breathing went away after about a week. No bruising or discoloration. Next time I will definitely go to the emergency room just to be safe.

The pain was as you described. Not horribly painful but uncomfortable with deep breathing or sneezing and sleeping on my back.

I did a long ride two weeks after it happened with no pain during or after the ride.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by LoriKTM
[B, I don't want to be told that I can't ride for 6 weeks, if it really is broken. :( [/B]

You need to know for sure,Lori

Yours truly

Waldo the worry wart

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by JPIVEY

You need to know for sure,Lori

Yours truly

Waldo the worry wart

LOL! (ooh, ugh, don't make me laugh! ;) )

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
When I had a bad crash at my first race, I was sure my ribs were broken. When he told me "no" I didn't believe him and asked him why without x-rays did he know they wern't broken. He told me that with ribs you can actually feel each individual one and press down on them, obviously if they move, or causes great pain it is broken or cracked. He put his hand on my ribs and was feeling it, and made me do the same, he said "see you can feel that it is there" He also told me if they were broken I would have some hard time breathing, sneezing, and laughing and it would be a sharp pain, not the ouch this hurts while laughing and saying "did you see me go over the bars?" that was going on by me. He told me to rest up stay off the bike for a few days, put some ice on it and I should be fine in a day or so. My ribs were bruised and I had some limited movement, and it was a little difficult to walk for a day, but I was feeling better by the end of the week.

Hope you get better soon. :)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Lori - I had a hard get off in January, before the VD ride here. Yes, I am sure my ribs were broken/bruised. I took two weekends off of riding, started back a little tenative, and raced 5 weeks afterward. My ribs still hurt during the race, just not so bad. I did not go see a Dr. And I have GREAT insurance (considering that IS what I do for a living)! You're call! :think

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Be worth it to go to the doc just in case there is some other freak internal injury. A month ago I went over the bars, bruised some ribs, the clavical and tore up my rotator cuff... still uncomfortable to sleep, sneeze, etc... But the rotator cuff is coming around. Getting old SUCKS!!! Go to the doc.

Other than on this board, you don't get any sypathy for bruised ribs and things... no cast, no sling, no scar, people think you're making it up... :( I think I'd feel better if I got more sypmathy :)

*note to self* get a fake arm cast from a novely shop... A bruised rib, unfortunately, is the dieters euivalent of losing one pound. Nobody notices and you get no credit for the effort or pain :confused:

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
NAH!

I seriously doubt you have sererated, cracked or broken any ribs. The pain would be very great and to cough, sneeze, twist or take a good ......... would be unbearable. However it never hurts to get a professional opinion ie x-rays.

Good luck
vetwfo'er

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
After going over a jump without my bike , getting run over and hit with handlebars I broke 2 ribs. Guy in front of me kicked out my front wheel on top of a jump. The doctor did nothing, just said yep they are broke. Six month later they started feeling better. They don't tape them anymore.

Lori did you check with your insurance. I can tell the doctor it happened on a motorcycle but not in a race.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Sorry to hear it !

Lori , I also doubt that you broke any ribs .The bottom 4 ribs are " floating " ribs ,meaning they are not conected the the sternum . They are also quite flexable . Bruised ribs do hurt like hell as does a bruised kidney , they also take quite a long time to feel normal .:( That being said ,get to the Doc and have it checked out , he/she may want you on anti-inflamatorys (sp) , or give some good pain meds . Hope your back on the bike soon .

Last edited:

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
"Fell off a ladder" What's amatter you?
Don't want the Doc to know you play in the dirt, eh?
Ashamed for folks to know that you would do such a thing, eh?
Probably deny being a part of this whacked out crowd too!

Hummmmm! Won't hurt to get it checked, then if he says don't climb any ladders for 6 weeks you can always lie again and say OK:) :p

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Not ashamed, just realistic! (Plus, I don't want to be another statistic). I'm going to say I was riding my "bike" on some trails Sunday, and fell on a rock. Not lying, but not quite the whole truth, either.

Dr. appointment this afternoon. Will let you know what happens. I don't care about the pain killers, I just want to know whether it's broken or not!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Lori - I cracked a rib at the Tri-State Enduro (Sunday after the NY Spodefest). No bruising but definitely some pain. Didn't really notice it until that night when I went to sleep. It was uncomfortable to sleep for about a week as every toss and turn resulted in pain. Sneezing, coughing and deep breathing also resulted in pain. I don't notice it much anymore, but it still hurts a little now and then.

Do yourself a favor and take some time off to heal. There will always be plenty of opportunities to go riding if you stay healthy.

Does this mean OffRoadWarrior won't be riding the Speedsville Enduro?

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Ribs

vetwfo'er is right. If they were broken there would be more than just mild pain when you sneeze. I broke two last year and could not sleep on on side to a month. Everything hurt, breathing, walking, but a sneeze was the worst. Then again I'm a wimp:D

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Does this mean OffRoadWarrior won't be riding the Speedsville Enduro?

No way! I told him that I would run gas and pit for him if he still wanted to ride the enduro. Are you going? I think he would be more enthusiastic about going if he had someone to ride with.

Our next HS isn't until the 26th, and then no races over Labor Day weekend, so I should be able to take it easy (-er!)

***Update***
Back from the doctor. Regardless of whether it is broken or just bruised, the treatment is the same-- don't stress the area, use ice or heat as needed, and see how it feels before resuming activity. No rib wraps, etc. anymore, as people tended to develop pneumonia with them. :eek:

So, he said I could have an X-ray done if I wanted, but it wouldn't really change the treatment and it would just run up the bill. (Good doctor! :) )
I opted out on the pictures, and he said to just take it easy and if the pain gets worse, or other symptoms develop, to call him back.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum...

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
If they were broken you'd know it

My spill took me off the bike for about 7 weeks and then once back on several weeks before not painful. It litterally took me 10 minutes to get in and out of bed, coughing and sneezing would take your breath away and make tears come from anyones eyes. It took about 3 to 4 weeks before I could take a deep breath. It's been about since March and I still have a few aches & pains from the crash and a knot about 2 inches above my right nipple where the bone broke. I know, too much information:(

SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
Lori,

Ugh...rib injuries really blow. I had a nice little get-off the first week of July and I'm still feeling a twinge of pain in the ole ribs. I rode for 3 more weeks after the get-off and didn't do any more damage, luckily. I finally went to a Doc when, while getting out of the truck at the house after work, I was lifting my laptop up and heard a loud "pop" followed by some pain in my right ribs (where I fell). Went to the Doc the next day to discover I had broken my 4-7th ribs on my right side, in addition to doing some ligimant damage where the 4th attached to the sternum. Funny thing was that I've broken ribs before and this time it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I'd remembered they did before...I didn't believe the Doc when he told me I'd broken 4.

Unfortunately this has kept me off the bike for about 4 weeks now. I've decided to take it easy until I don't feel any tenderness with that 4th rib anymore. One thing the Doc pointed out is that your ribs, by design, are the "armour" for your internal organs. If you take the chance and ride with fractured/broken ribs, and take another fall on them, then your "armour" is effectivlely damaged and might not prevent a rib from snapping off into a lung or something. Something tells me a punctured lung is NOT the easiest injury to "shake off"! ;)

In any case, good luck in your recovery and speedy return to your mount.

Chris

Top Bottom