Rich/others - Reliability of 250SXF overbore?

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Hey guys,

Just wondering what the experience has been with overboring the 250SXF? The one I'm asking about is 2007, but I guess the 2006 wasn't hugely different from this perspective?

Does it badly effect reliability? Anything to be aware of, such as replacing the crank every 10 minutes?

What sort of other work is required once the cylinder has been bored? Valves/cams? Exhaust system?

Is Rich still doing four stroke work such as overbores?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I refuse to work on KTMs so you are asking the wrong person. :)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Zenith said:
Hey guys,

Just wondering what the experience has been with overboring the 250SXF? The one I'm asking about is 2007, but I guess the 2006 wasn't hugely different from this perspective?

Does it badly effect reliability? Anything to be aware of, such as replacing the crank every 10 minutes?

What sort of other work is required once the cylinder has been bored? Valves/cams? Exhaust system?

Is Rich still doing four stroke work such as overbores?

Thanks for any thoughts!

The 312/315 was designed for increasing reliability of the SXF. More torque and HP at much lower rpm's means this thing doesn't ever need to see 13,500...unless you really want to. Overall hp is claimed to be around 42hp, which feels about right. It runs real similiar to my 400/453 only much quicker revving and much lighter. I've got roughly 47 hours on mine and the valves are still in spec...haven't budged. HT Racing does the 315 kit and does an excellent job...enough so that KTM has taken a long look at his work and is rumored to be going that way for production.

I find for racing tight enduro the engine is perfect amount and delivery of power. Plus the thing is versatile. I've per-run this engine at Baja last year, several enduros on it...it hasn't missed a beat. This would also make an awesome MX engine...great corner to corner pull.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Thanks for that CR Swade. Were you warned about replacing the crank earlier or anythign like that by the guys that did it? I just seem to remember this being recommended when overboring the YZFs a while ago, but am not familiar with how the stock KTM crank stacks up?

LOL Rich. Why don't you like working on the KTMs out of interest?

Any more feedback welcome!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Maybe it’s jealousy of the Austrian engineering? :ohmy:

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
bsmith said:
Maybe it’s jealousy of the Austrian engineering? :ohmy:
You mean like PDS-aka pretty damn stupid? Or perhaps the oil filter changing regimen? In cycle news the chairman admitted they designed the 950 after a night at the hofbrau.
Before you go flaming me my mom was born in Vienna, my wife is from Linz, I have been there 6 times and I own an 01 400exc.
If the japanese made a street legal 400-450 as good as the 450exc or Te450 Husky, I would buy it and get rid of all my KTM stuff.
That said I do work on them and they aren't bad to work on.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
xTHUNDERCATx said:
then y would u take the time to reply instaid of just going back to the forums sence the quesiton wasnt directly asked to u :bang:

Since the title of the thread is directed at Rich he was courteous enough to reply. When you go back to school to work on your spelling and grammar, ask them to throw in a refresher on reading comprehension.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
xTHUNDERCATx said:
then y would u take the time to reply instaid of just going back to the forums sence the quesiton wasnt directly asked to u :bang:

then = Then
y = why
instaid = instead
sence = since
quesiton = question
wasnt = wasn't
u = you

By the way......... the question was directed towards Rich.

casper36092

Mar 2, 2007
Hevster1 said:
You mean like PDS-aka pretty damn stupid? Or perhaps the oil filter changing regimen? In cycle news the chairman admitted they designed the 950 after a night at the hofbrau.
Before you go flaming me my mom was born in Vienna, my wife is from Linz, I have been there 6 times and I own an 01 400exc.
If the japanese made a street legal 400-450 as good as the 450exc or Te450 Husky, I would buy it and get rid of all my KTM stuff.
That said I do work on them and they aren't bad to work on.

This is the dumbest thing that i have ever heard. If jap made something as good as a ktm i would get one of those instead. That is like saying if kia made something as good as a mercedes i would by one of those instead. How do you own something that you feel that way about? i wish haters like you were banned from owning ktms, if they are such junk go buy a crf and spend every weekend adjusting the valves or something instead of riding.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Zenith said:
LOL Rich. Why don't you like working on the KTMs out of interest?
Owners like the one below are a HUGE part of it. ;)

casper36092 said:
This is the dumbest thing that i have ever heard. If jap made something as good as a ktm i would get one of those instead. That is like saying if kia made something as good as a mercedes i would by one of those instead. How do you own something that you feel that way about? i wish haters like you were banned from owning ktms, if they are such junk go buy a crf and spend every weekend adjusting the valves or something instead of riding.

casper36092

Mar 2, 2007
well i don't go to the jap section and bad mouth there products say ing that u wish someone made aomething better were i didn't have to own a certain brand. I am just making a general statement that if you like jap go ride them and leave me and my ktm out of it. I know that ktm is the best suited for me because i have tried other brands, and just the opposite could be true for you. i'm just pointing out the fact that if you are going to critisize a certain bike don't buy one get something else.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Don't get your tighty whiteys in a bunch over some guy's opinion of a KTM. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and some people like to voice their opinion.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
casper36092 said:
leave me and my ktm out of it.

Your the one who interjected you and your pumpkin into this conversation.

casper36092 said:
I know that ktm is the best suited for me because i have tried other brands, and just the opposite could be true for you. i'm just pointing out the fact that if you are going to critisize a certain bike don't buy one get something else.

I'm glad the bike suits you. Now go back and read the original post and practice your reading comprehension, Rich was ASKED for his opinion and in an attempt to not infuriate the orange zealots (that's you in case the reading comprehension thing still hasn't kicked in) he tried to leave it at a fairly simple statement without going into details. I can assure you that you don't need to worry about Rich buying a KTM.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Zentih...I know I am part of the "other" but I hope that helped. HT Racing does a wonderful job. Lastly...as said earlier 48 hours w/ no valve adjustment needed yet, still in spec, looking to rebuild top-end and head around 80 hours based on others reliability records w/ same intended use. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

casper36092

Mar 2, 2007
Chili said:
Your the one who interjected you and your pumpkin into this conversation.

I'm glad the bike suits you. Now go back and read the original post and practice your reading comprehension, Rich was ASKED for his opinion and in an attempt to not infuriate the orange zealots (that's you in case the reading comprehension thing still hasn't kicked in) he tried to leave it at a fairly simple statement without going into details. I can assure you that you don't need to worry about Rich buying a KTM.

Maybe you should check out your reading comp. because rich isn't the one that i made the first comment about in the first place if you will take the time to read what the post said. i wasn't trying to start a battle just asking why people critisize something they maybe don't know much about.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
casper36092 said:
i wasn't trying to start a battle just asking why people critisize something they maybe don't know much about.

Both people that expressed the negative comments that had you up in arms seem to have plenty of experience. One with working on all bikes of every brand I can think of for too many years to count and the other stated he owns a KTM and works on them.

"REV"

Uhhh...
Mar 5, 2007
This thread is surprisingly similar to the one in the general forum a couple days back.
Casper, Fighting over a brand is... well depressing. They're both bikes... Ride what you like, it's not a big deal.

Wait a minute - Casper? LOL

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I love Rich.

I love my KTM.

Rich loves me.

Rich hates my KTM.

we still get along just fine.

Top Bottom