JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by Strick
That's not what I saw. What I saw is Mike Brown (125 national motocross champion - 2001) pull over and let his factory teammate by

Just for clarification, Brown let Branden Jesseman by - not Carmichael. RC was not aided in the 2nd moto victory, just the overall...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
How tainted can it be when the fastest rider on the track (BY FAR) gets the overall?

True, Brown let Jesseman by to allow his teamate to win the overall. It didn't cost Brown a thing (except mabye $100 or so in purse money) and no other teams or riders were adversely effected.

In the history of team tactics, 'Let Broc By' cost Danny LaPorte a National championship. Let's not forget the KTM team's take out of Falta to allow Mosieev to win his world title. Those rate a 10 on the MX disgrace meter.

Brown aiding his teammate to achieve a minor record at no cost to anyone else is about a 1 on a scale of 10.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't favor any of the past infamous team tactics. They are always interesting, though, and make for good discussion.

Personally, I think Kawasaki should have stuck a fork in the Leprechaun and Brown should have went for the overall. Kind of a "That'll teach ya to go to Honda" move!:p

As far as "Teams" go, there should be no teams when the gate drops . . .:silly:

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I agree with XRP, when the gate drops it you against 39 other guys, race every race to win or don't bother.

A couple years ago Reynard passed Albee and I thought Roger D. was going to loose his cool, he was so mad you could see the red in his face. To me that is BS. If I am out there racing and I am feeling good enough to pass the points contenders and run away... I'm gone. A team mate that usually runs off and leaves you should come up later and say " man you were flying, I just could not catch you today, good race."

Even though "team tactics" is a part of SX/MX racing today, it is a crying shame that it is.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I would agree with you about lining up and it's every man for himself, BUT,.......in a situation like this past weekend I can see the difference.
I've always been the type of person that believes what goes around comes around, and I told several of my buddies that I thought what Langston did to Bonds earlier in the year was totoal BS! They all said that's racing. I told them my old saying about what goes around! Damn if GL didn't get a little "come around"!
Regards:D

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Some great discussion guys. I started the thread and havent been able to get back till now. I was never bashing RC. He had no control over what anybody did. My whole point was that I would lay money on it if you could read RCs thoughts you would find he did not want it like that. I dont even know why he was worried about it in the first place. He is going to set many new records of his own, this one will just be alittle darker than the rest, and it wont matter.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Bond.....James Bond said..
Gosh Okie, try to conceal that blatant "bias", would you?

Geesh dubble-oh..., you might start concealing something yourself. That brown stuff on the end of your nose. :silly:

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
I have to agree with 007, when Barnet raced 125's it wasn't the b class, it was the a class just like the 250's, so ricky racing the 125's was sandbagging cause it was a step down for him.:think

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Oops!
I'm outed!
Surely a nephron would know excrement when he sees it!

My apologies for such an pathetic display of sucking up.

*Sniff*

I'm sure this will cause a severe case of bruxism tonight.

:scream:

Get a grip.... a real firm one.
With both hands.

Later!
:cool:

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I wouldn't consider the 125 "PRO" class the "B" class!
RC just happens to be the fastest rider on the Planet! Period!
Regards:cool:

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
IBWFO

I was at the Hangtown race where Langston put Bonds down. I was actually right next to that downhill section. Since they were battleing for the lead, I was watching the fight closely for several laps. Bonds had a substantial lead for a while, but Langston began to real him in very quickly just past the halfway point. In an effort to hold off the charge, Bonds got out of shape several times all on his own. He did manage to stay upright, but when Langston tried to make his move after the big uphill double, which Bonds cased badly, Bonds rode him completely off the berm and almost off the track. At that very moment I began to root for Langston to win the race. A couple hundred yards later, the race was over for Bonds. I thought that Bonds' move was much "dirtier" than Langston's. To Bonds' credit, he did not complain about the move when interviewed after the race.

Maybe, in the back of Bonds' mind he was thinking about retaliation. I witnessed Langston make many passes that day without making any contact with other riders. I havn't seen him make many questionable passes since. Not nearly as many as champion Mike Brown. Brown is a very deserving champion, and I hope he doesn't have anything coming around to him. Racing at that level sometimes requires aggresive moves. You know how hard it is to get around someone of equal riding ability on a track. I have a hard time passing someone nicely when we are close in skill. Since I'm not paid to race, I won't take the same chances as a pro would to pass someone.

The bottom line is that it's a completely different situation than most of us will ever be in. That same move at the practice track would be much more questionable. Have you seen how they pass at an Arena Cross race? I don't think Langston's wheel was do to bad carma.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I too saw the move that Bonds did to Langston as well as the move over Langston did to Bonds.
I have since seen some questionable moves by Langston on Brown and visaversa. Enough so to warrant Finch to call both of them into his trailer and tell them he won't tollerate it anymore.
To "stuff" someone in a corner is one thing, but to intentionally move over on someone like Langston did (intentionally I might add) is another. Wheather it was illegal or not was not my point.

Top Bottom