dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've got no problem at all with Ricky going red when his contract is up. What bothers me is that this is considered a 'done deal' before the season even starts!

If I signed a 'secret' contract to start in Janaury, next year, for my employer's #1 competitor, my current employer would have every right to question my committment, especially if he was depending on me (and paying me!) to perform at my highest level against my future employer.

The timing of the news is bad, IMO.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
dirt bike dave-
You've got a point there. I don't understand the timing of this whole deal either. Of course, maybe that's why it hasn't been completely confirmed yet.

I guess Kawasaki can take comfort in the fact that Ricky is still determined to be #1 again in the nationals, regardless of what bike he's on. It still seems a little shaky though. Is Kawasaki really going to give him 100% support knowing that he's already got one foot out the door? I guess we'll wait and see.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by xrsforever
Someone has to be the number one selling motorcycle manufacturer in the world,and it happens to be Honda for good reasons.

In the WORLD? Are you sure about that?

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I very seriously doubt that we'll see Ricky on the 450. Honda will need someone to ride it though. Ryno will probably still be avaiable to Honda sense he is a R&D rider, who also races the Nationals. The new 450 could open the door for someone else to step up to the big time.

DesertDog

Jan 14, 2001
I just dont think it is right. " He" or Factory with the most money wins !!"
Although it doesnt seem to be working for honda now does it. hehe
Do you think this is saying something about big red..?
In stead of "Cant buy me love, love" it is "Cant buy me a championship" lol
I know, I know...dont quit your day job.

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
Kawasaki just lost their only hope for any more titles in the near future.

I'm not too sure about that moto1313, you obviously haven't seen James "Bubba" Stewart ride, this kid is amazing! He also recently signed a 3 year contract with Kawisaki, and I think he'll have a good shot at a few titles. He's ready to break a couple of RC's amateur titles this summer!

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by Kawidude
I can't believe anyone would give Ricky a hard time for going to Honda (if it's true). That's like saying none of you would take a new job with better resources and more pay, just because you're really fond of your current employer.

If I were to get rich and successful with my employer, thanks to its support and my skills, then yes, I would be VERY reluctant to leave without giving it one or two years of "payback."

Last edited by a moderator:

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
HEY MOTO1313

If the Kawies are so bad then he wouldn't be winning on them. Who are you to claim to know the reason for RC's aggressive, sometimes berzerk riding stlye? In one sentence you are claiming RC's ragged stlye is because of the bike and next you say that Ezra's crashing problems are his own and not from the Honda. Funny, Ezra has been plagued with injuries every since he stepped off the Yamahas and on to the Hondas. Couldn't be anything wrong with the Hondas could it?

Right now RC can win on anything. Also, at the factory level, they can have their bike so finely tuned to their styles that how the bike starts out stock really has no meaning.

Just because you don't like Kawies is no reason to rank on the way RC rides one.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by moto1313
According to a national motorcycling news source, Ricky Carmichael signed the deal

Alllrighht!! RC going to the RED BULL team? :p

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
Osheen

Your correct when you say that the factory guys have their bike finely tuned to their tastes, but they have to maintain the steering/frame geometry as per the production rule. I think ricky may be less wild and smooth out if he was riding a more modern framed bike like a Honda or Yamaha. This is the reason why Jeremy left Honda. Honda changed the geometry of their '97 bikes so badly that he felt uncomfortable on them. Yeah, I know the whole marketing of his name thing was also a factor, but Honda missed the boat on the '97-'99 bikes and now they are back to the '93 geomtery (pretty close). I am not bagging on Kawies. I rode them for years, then I got my first Honda. Kawie has put so little money in development of the KX line in the past 5-7 years it is almost embarrassing. Honda is always the leader of the MX world and the '02 CR's prove my point. They try and improve their bikes from one year to the next to try and get a winner. They sell the most MX bikes because they make the best bikes. Well, that's all I got to say 'bout that.

As far as Lusk, I think his problems began on the '99 or '98 framed Honda which was not that great either. :think

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Let's summarzie Moto1313's opinions:

a) Kawasaki sucks because they have outdated frames.
b) Honda rocks because the use '93 frame geometry.
c) Ricky will ride noticeably smoother and faster on a Honda, unless it is a '97-99.
d) The '97-99 Honda was so bad, it continues to plague Lusk in 2000 & 2001
e) Kawasaki has been an embarrassment to the MX world over the last 5-7 years.
f) The '02 Hondas have already proven Honda's continued MX dominance.

I'm so confused!

bassfool

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 24, 2000
I for one, would much rather see RC stay on a Kawasaki, just to show some loyalty for all the years of amateur support they have given him. Honda does buy championships, they do not have as good a farm system as Kawasaki and Suzuki. I know I am in a minority here, but it would be nice to see some loyalty along with the dollars rather than just the almighty dollar.
And I do agree it is the rider not the bike that wins the championships, although the manufacturers of winning teams would have you believe otherwise, that is why they try to buy the #1 plate.
Next move will probably be for Honda to try to pick up whoever wins the 125 nationals this year.
I would like to see one rider stay with who supported him throughout his career, it used to happen more often than it does today.
Just my $.02

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
I'll try to make it simple

I never said Kawie sucked. I said their R&D is pitiful. You are buying an old KX when you buy a new KX since they basically the same bike since about 1996. CR frames were nervous from '97-'99 and Lusk got hurt on the '99 CR. He had been out for several months in '99 and tried to come back for the '00 SX season and was not ready, fell and got hurt again. Now he is ready for the start of the 2001 season and is just now getting back into competitive racing. So no, the '99 frames are not plaguing him but the injury was. Honda does not sit on a design for long, as evidenced by their '02 CR's. The '00-'01 CR's are a great bike, but Honda always wants better and tries to do so. Other manufacturers are WAY slower to make changes as compared to Honda. So DBD-you are correct on A,B and C. Well, these are just my opinions and observations. Oh, and yes, I do feel that Ricky will be a better rider (less on the verge of crashing) on a honda as compared to the KX.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
What's LOL? People use this all the time and usually I'm pretty good at figuring out acronyms, but somehow am lost on this one.

I still don't know why Team Green doesn't give RC something -- cash or some other incentives -- to keep him. In my business it's stock options and they're called "golden handcuffs" for a reason! There has to be something Kawi can do 'cause this kid is just so American and good, both for the sport and Kawi's image. Gosh, next we're going to hear RC is leaving Fox to be sponsored by Thor or something (like McGrath did). Anyway, someone please enlighten me on LOL! Thanks.

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by moto1313
I think ricky may be less wild and smooth out if he was riding a more modern framed bike like a Honda or Yamaha.

Actually I believe the Yamaha frame hasn't been changed much since 1998 I believe? I guess it depends on your definition of modern. I still can't stand how it feals like I'm riding IN a Yamaha while I'm ON my Honda. Personal taste I guess. As far as R&D goes, I believe it's well known that Honda is the king of the hill in that department. They have the resources so why shouldn't they be?

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I'm not sure I agree with the statement that it's well known that Honda is the king of the R&D department. In my opinion, Honda is very competent at taking existing concepts and ideas and improving upon them. But I'm not so sure they're the champion manufacturer in terms of new concepts. Yamaha was certainly the first company to bring a competitive four-stroke motocrosser to market. Kawasaki came out with the perimeter chassis, which Honda later took to another level with aluminum material. The other companies generally beat Honda to market with most new concepts. However, in Honda's defense, they usually don't release product until it's bulletproof.

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
You do prove a good point, but have you seen the info on the 2002 CR250's? They are definitely the first to bring the RC style electric power valve to motocross. They also were the first to use hydraulic transmissions like the one on their ATV which they even used once in MX back in the 80's I believe. They may not have came up with all of the ideas or are first to put them on the market but they definitely spend a lot more money in my belief when it comes to R&D. I read a very interesting article on the net of a guy who got a tour of the Honda R&D department in California, unfortunately I've forgotten which site it was.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
RC will be staying with Fox, not leaving to go with Thor or anyone else. I believe that he has lifteime contracts with both Fox and Oakley.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
For whomever made the frame comment:
Kawies and Hondas have the stiffest frames by virtue of their perimiter design. The zukis come next, then yammys. The kaiwes and hondas should be the most predictable becasue of this, but other factors make them less predictable. On the works bike level though, every bike is just almost the same as the next IMO. A rider can get what they want. For example; look at charmicael's brake line, cr routing, cr guards, on a KX. BEcasue he wanted this combo, he had Kayaba machina a special fork for him. If they want it and it is legal, it will be done.

Jeff

Sep 19, 1999
Quote: JimmyD2-Ricky has been riding on the edge of that battleship kawasaki calls a bike for several years now. If they (Kawie) could at least make a half hearted attempt at updating the geometry of this bike, he may be able to smooth out his riding. Ezra has been off for almost a year and is still getting back up to speed. I don't think it's the bike's fault necessarily with Lusk that he is pushing it a bit during the SX season. He definitely was fast, but a bit sketchy as well mainly from his layoff.
Why smooth out your riding when you win almost every race? If you think Ezra's smooth why his he always on the ground with injuries, and for that matter Tortelli is always on the ground as well. Ricky was taking risks this year and maybe thats the way he has to ride to dominate the Supercross series.

Top Bottom