KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
2big4aKDX and I are planning to ride on 12/6 weather permiting - actually likely even if the weather does not permit!  If the weather cooperates up this way, we may ride Mio or Hunt Creek or Atlanta (or a combination of them if we are real lucky).  If its to nasty up north, we will head to some more southerly trails to find some unfrozen ground. Or then again - we may head where ever regardless of the weather if others want to join in.

Anybody else game?  We will be waiting to finalize our plans as the weather unfolds - so stay tuned for more details. 

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'm hoping to ride the 12/7, I'm working OT on the 12/6. As for where it looks like I'm heading to the west side.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Marlinburg...  We picked 12/6 as Neal was not sure what shift he would be on etc. - but there is a chance (I think...Neal speak up!) that if his schedule works out just right we could ride 12/7.  On my part, I could do it either day.

Where on west side were you thinking?

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Not long ago, I had a job where I could kinda come and go as I saw fit. Dang it ...I miss those days! Any ways, just too early to tell what shift I'll be on that weekend. I'll ride when I can, and work when they force me.

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
White Cloud was pretty wet when I went up there day before Opening Day for Gun season, If it snows and the ground is frozen, we might want to find somewhere with less water. White Cloud could be real dangerous with all the Ice we'd see combined with alot of Trees down in the trail. Maybe Cedar Creek again or Holton-Horseshoe, or whatever else, let me know.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Cedar Creek is always fun. I've never ridden HH and would like to give it a try. I'd need to follow somebody into the trailhead or get some directions?

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
Anybody that doesn't know how to get to the trailhead at HH could meet me at the gas station at M82 and M120. The trail is pretty tight singletrack, should be interesting with snow.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Most likey I'll need to follow you from M82/M120. I'll have my cell phone with me (517-8129677) so before you hit the road, drop me a line. and I'll let you know where I am. Will be  heading stright up B31 till M82. There might be anther pumkin patch rider coming along with me. A fast guy to split the cost of the gas.

Last edited:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Has anyone been up to wolverine lately? I was thinking about heading up there on Sunday and ride a loop or two.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
It looks like there will be no riding for me this weekend.. :(

On Wednesday I messed up my back at work - have been barely able to stand up ever since - fat chance I will be up to riding!  Oh well - there is always next weekend!  Maybe there will be enough snow by then to justify the screwed up tires!

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Ride Report: Tomahawk Loop C
The 3 of us (myself, Chase, and friend Andrew) arrived at the parking area at about 10am. It was a brisk 33 degrees and the ground was frozen. We suited up putting on many layers. Andrew and Chase had some trouble starting their stubborn 4-strokes but the trusty steed (KTM of course) started on the 2nd kick. ;) Anyway, we headed out onto the C loop. It was a blast due to the frozen ground and +/-1" of snow. You could slide right around the corners with ease. Then my throttle stuck! I got it shut down and came to the conclusion that there must have been some moisture in there and it was freezing up. It stopped sticking after a couple of miles. All of us had some good diggers. I myself, hit a stick in 3rd gear and the front end slid out throwing me head over heals. Andrew was going down a 2 track when he hit a patch of ice. It instantly threw him down and he slid for a good 40 ft. Chase was riding a wheelie over some logs when his front end slapped down and his bike slid out. It wasn't a bad day, until we got lost. Some guy told us, "This here 2-track will take you to the parking lot ." He didn't mention the the road split 8 times. We followed some ribbon that I think was up from the trail ride and found some familiar trail that led up to the parking lot.

Whew, The End.

Oh yes, If anyone on here does the trail maintence for the Tomahawk loops, or knows someone who does, it REALLY NEEDS IT!!! Bring a huge saw.

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Tom

In spite of all the soil samples it sounds like you guys took, I bet it was a heck of a lot more fun than my day...laying on the couch alternating between a bag of ice and a heating pad! I can almost stand up now though.   I sure wish I coulda rode with you - I like the C loop!

You know - back in my younger days I always said a stuck throttle was the privateers ticket for sucess!  Ads a bit of excitment for a moment doesnt it!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Tom - GREAT report!! I had to work all day and just reading your report got me back into the correct frame of mind!! THANK YOU!! Did you guys have screws in yet? It is a REALLY fun time on the "hard pack" until you biff it across some frozen tire marks - man those frozen lumps HURT!!!
Thanks Tom!
Woodsy

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
No screws. I was truly suprised at the traction though. I was expecting to slide out at every instant, but no! I may actually go over to the Kalaska loop today.

Mike that sucks. I plan on going back up in the late spring so hopefully then we can ride it together.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Tom sounds like a day too remember. C is a truly great loop. That windstorm a couple weeks ago must of hit you up north folk’s bad, Holten / horseshoe had a ton of down tree's also.

Top Bottom