CAN-AM KEVIN

Jun 6, 2006
Where can I ride and camp? I've been to carrieville two times and Long lake once. I'm looking for places within about 100 miles of Greenville/Rockford area. Can I ride out of Sunrise Lake campground in evart? Baldwin area? White Cloud area? Old Bikes and Old tow truck.I've only been riding five times this year the $35-$40 for gas when I want to go for a short ride is a pain.
P.S. Over 50 I do have Fridays off.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Go North

I know you said 100 miles but if you can swing Black Lake, or even better Kinross, you can ride tons of trails. In Newberry you just get a camp permit from DNR and stay on state land, and it's free. Up there you have the choice of two-track or single ORV trail. If you wait till October take a shotgun, there's good partridge hunting behind the airport in Kinross (state land). Black Lake has a few campgrounds, like the State Park and private camp right next to each other. You can ride out of either camp and be on the trails. Baldwin is nice and I've ridden there and camped but not at the same time. I don't know which camp has a trailhead right close. Someone else will chime in on this I'm sure. Just rambling, wish I was home and had your dilemma of deciding where to ride, lol!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Uchytil - THANKS for your service to our country!!! You da man!

Can-Am: did you forget that you are an American and thusly you have THOUSANDS of acres of State and Federal land to camp on any time you want?????? There are lots of open spots to camp on state land all the way from Cedar Creek (ol Twisty) allllllllll the way up to the Mighty Mac.. All you gotta do is pull in and camp!!!! You can even legally burn downed wood and have a great camp fire.... Now, if your bike is not street legal you might want to be careful to get an opening right on the legal single track so the local Green Jackets dont sting ya (thier sting can be much worst then those nasty little yellow jackets).. I know LOTS of great camping spots well within your driving range and would be happy to point out a few sometime.... Some even come equipt with some awesome Woodsy Deer Hunting stories from ages past..... By the way, if you wait a few weeks the air will cool down and tent camping will be AWESOME!!!
Seriously, if you go to The White Cloud trail head and then look at the map directly north of the Trail head.. YOu go around to the next road North and right where the single trail crosses is a PERFECT spot to camp!!! And this is RIGHT ON THE TRAIL!!!
Horseshoe trail system has some of the FUNNEST camping around!!! LOTS of spots to drop a tent or park a trailer and MILES of two-tracks if your street legal... The new Cedar Creek Trailhead is AWESOME BUT dont let it fool you... Just drive the two-track past it and there are a ZILLION camping spots all over that PUBLIC land just waiting for us owners to show up and enjoy it!!!!
Hopefully you werent asking about acutual camp grounds with plug ins for air conditioning and those really neat 50 thousand dollar shower rooms with toilets??? If so,,,,,, I opened my mouth to soon......... also had a problem with that...
Woodsy :ride:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
One thing woodsy forgot to tell ya is if you decide to head out on your own for some rough camping in the woods (dispersed camping as the DNR likes to call it) you do (legaly) need a permit from the DNR. The permit is free. Just hang it up at camp in case the man stops by. Chances the DNR will never stop by camp to check the form but better to be safe than sorry.

==> DNR's web page for the form <==

I made a bunch of copys of mine so I always have one on hand. I can e-mail you the jpg file if you want.

e-mail address

All you gotta do is print it out on some heavy paper and put a good fold across the bottom section so that they can rip that part off if they check out your camp.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Acutally Woodsy purposely forgot to tell him that Don..... You see, Woodsy lives by the spirit of the law instead of the letter.. Woodsy has NEVER known or heard of anyone having a problem with not using those permits.. On the other hand, Woodsy has known of a couple people having some major issues developed FROM using them......
Case in point:
After you leave the "camp" you are suppose to leave the top portion of the permit attached to the tree.. A friend cleaned up the camp, left the permit, next group came in and TRASHED the camp, boys in green came in and issued friend a citation for $1200, friend paid fee and NEVER will return to woods..
Second case: Girls camp too.. GIrl leaves name in tree.. Boys find name and address of girl.. Girl recieves bad phone calls from pranksters... Sounds funny but put yourself in girls shoes...
Woodsy is a WISE Woodsy.... JUST GO CAMP AND DONT USE FORMS!!!! Its YOUR land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woodsy :ride:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well I would never leave the form at camp after I leave. Thats just crazy. we got dinged at Drummond 2 years ago for not having them. The Dnr was nice and had some forms on hand for us. He could of given us a ticket. So now I use them but dont leave them when I leave camp.

Top Bottom