bakir_sonic

Sep 5, 2012
First off i would like to introduce myself. I am new to the sport. Just got a bike. I live in SoCal and appreciate any tips and advice from you guys :cool:

Unfortunately my first post has to be a question...

I have this Yamaha 1990 something 2 stroke (got it as a gift) Me and my friend are fixing it up and need help with the back suspension (I think). Whenever I sit on the bike the seat gets lowered almost all the way to the bottom. I weigh about 185 lb so its not like I'm huge.

I will attach pictures as soon as i figure it stops blocking me. One is of the bike and the other is what we I think i need to fix. The thing is i don't know if i need to fill it with air or oil or what?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Service the shock or get another from ebay. Sounds like no oil and no nitrogen charge. 400ml of shock oil and 150psi of nitrogen go in there. Approximately of course :) some changes applied over the years.

bakir_sonic

Sep 5, 2012
so either service the shock or buy another. Which is usually cheaper? How difficult is it to service myself.

I still can't post pictures. SpamKiller won't let me. How many posts do i need to be allowed?

Thanks for the advice arnego2!

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
No idea really how many posts you need. Maybe 10 or so.
No picture needed. Look up youtube for some shock rebuilds, filling in the oil will not be so hard as a full rebuid. Getting the nitrogen was hard for me but if you live in the first world most likely quite easy.

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just filling oil and nitrogen are going to be a waste of $$$..

It leaked out for a reason, you may want to address that before wasting money.

If you have a factory service manual and some basic tools it's not impossible. But a little suspension knowledge would be helpful.

There is a lot of information about this topic on the net. Just need to search it out. I replaced the seal head in my shock a few weeks ago. It wasn't hard. But, there were a few things that I didn't know prior to starting that I learned by doing the proper google searches.

Good luck.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
first of all check your bike model. if is a motocross bike (yz or wr) than the shock can and should be rebuilt, but you still have to check and possibly increase the preload on the spring (two big nuts on the lower part of the spring).
if it´s not a mx bike (like a dt model) the shock may not be rebuildable.
a factory service manual will help a lot with basic settings of the bike so it runs clean.

since you are not able to post pics just check and post here the model of the bike :cool:

Top Bottom