Ride or not ride,shift lever proplems?

daniel 40

Spammer
Jul 25, 2006
My son has a KTM 65sx, the shift lever started coming off back on Wensday 8-16-06. Put it back on, in about 5min riding again it came off again :yell: Thursday he got in 15min befor it came off this time :bang: I did'nt put it back on. I order a new one on Friday, it will be next week befor it comes in. He wanting to ride this weekend and race sunday at a local track. If I put it back on again is it going to start damageing the shifting shaft?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Daniel.

Check the threads on the bolt and the shifter to make sure they are not stripped. If the threads are good then the splines are probably worn on the shifter or the shift shaft from running it loose. Clamp the shifter in a vise as to close down the gap where the bolt goes through. Take a hacksaw and cut the gap wider. This will allow you to clamp the shifter down tighter against the shaft.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
From what I've learned, replace the lever, don't try to hack at the old one. Replacing the shift shaft is pretty easy, but could be avoidable, especially for $10 for a new shift lever.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Someone said:
From what I've learned, replace the lever, don't try to hack at the old one. QUOTE]

Someone.

Why not?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The only problem with the hacksaw trick is that it allows the clamp to close further and it will bend the clamp bolt. In the extreme it can pop the head off the bolt or break it. I've used the trick myself from time to time, just keep a new bolt on hand and don't over tighten it.

Top Bottom