JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Saturday April 13, 2001 was sunny, breezy and 50 degrees. It was a perfect day to finally ride my 2001 E/XC 250! We’ve had the worst winter in years here in NH and I knew that the 3 feet of melted snow had to end up somewhere so I knew the mud would be extreme
biggrin.gif
I also knew that not all of the snow would be melted!

Most of Chicken Wrist Racing showed up at my house at 10 am. There was DRN member ratmloud on his new, woods converted 2001 KX 250, z4me on his 2001 WR 250 (look for a ride report from him as well), keetKDX on the 2000 KDX 220 he bought from ratmloud and non DRNer Dwayne on his 1999 KDX 200.

I had stayed up late making sure my bike was ready. I had installed Ricky bars, a WER damper and all the usual protection items. I drained the premix that came in it and whipped up a batch of Torco 40:1, re-oiled the air filter and loc-tited the night away. I left the suspension settings stock – I didn’t even set the sag.

We got going around 10:30 am and buzzed 1/8 mile up the road to the trail that leads to the power lines. When we got to it, we had to ride ½ mile in foot deep snow! There were bare patches in between but there was more than enough snow. I know the trails in my area the best so I was in the lead and by the time I got to the powerlines I was ready to rip! I hit a nice straight –away and got on it. Holy Moly!!! This bike rips! As I was on the brakes hard to try to scrub off some of that accidental speed I had to pound through a series of small whoops that would’ve caused some serious upset to the old KDX under hard braking. The KTM pretty much erased the bumps with no kicking whatsoever.

After that I had to negotiate quite a bit of mud and although the KTM was hooking up great, I had only been riding for a few minutes after a long winter off and I was getting a little squirrely
biggrin.gif
I didn’t go down and I didn’t get stuck!

Then we came to the first technical hill-climb. This is the one we call "Big Ben". It’s steep, washed out and littered with rocks the size of microwave ovens. I was very worried that I’d have trouble on the new bike. Over the past 2 years I had gotten very used to my KDX and such obstacles didn’t bother me. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised: I used first gear all the way up and stayed loose and relaxed the whole time. First gear on the KTM is so much more usable than the low tractor gear on the KDX so I carried enough momentum to coast right over the larger rocks. Also, the bike is so stable that it’s easy to stay balanced and the sucker goes just where you point it! I couldn’t be happier.

I’m now 20 minutes into the ride and I’m feeling just as comfortable on the KTM as I ever did on my KDX. The bike corners great, erases rock gardens and rooty trail and eats whoops. I spent a lot of time and money getting my suspension working on my last bike and I was very happy with it but my stock KTM suspension is worlds better.

My bike hooks up great everywhere with minimal wheelspin, has gobs of tractable power on tap and inspires confidence in every kind of gnarly riding terrain. When I was deciding to move up from the KDX to a KTM 200 or 250 I saw a lot of posts here saying how the KTM is a "hard edged" racing machine that demands an aggressive rider. I would have to disagree: My E/XC 250 seems most at home when pushed hard but I spent plenty of time in Spode Mode on my first ride and, with the exception of a rock hard seat, it’s the most rider friendly bike I’ve been on.

Before this weekends ride I’ll need to bleed the brakes since the front was spongy, set the sag and do a little jetting,… it was a little rich down low.

Thanks to all that talked me into the 250 when I was thinking of getting a 200. Nothing against the 200 riders but the 250 is perfect for me.

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC
NETRA & AMA Member

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Jay,

I purchased a 2001 200 EXC this year, had my first ride as well this past weekend and can say that my feelings about the 200 are very similiar to yours about your 250. The bike rocks! It is exceptional in the tight stuff, very, very user friendly machine!

------------------

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I've got a 2000 250 exc and love it. My favorite riding is spring time when there are still some snow drifts in the mountains. The KTM is a great snow and mud machine. The bike is extremely user friendly(except for the seat) you just point it where you want to go and it does, no questions asked.

------------------

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Good deal JCV, Good deal.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I'm Lime Green with envy.

We thought about riding sandown on Saturday but new it would be to snowy/muddy so we rode Chinamans pit in Haverhill instead. How were the plines? I am planning a ride on Monday 4/23 if the Chicken wrists are interested.

------------------
Mac
00-KDX-200

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Jay-I went out on my new 300 MXC for my first real ride on Friday and had similar conditions in the Londonderry area. Kinda miserable for riding....but still riding.

I went riding down in the Plymouth,MA area on Saturday...Wow ..what a difference dry trails and warm sun can make. Try to find someone that know the area down there it was a blast.

You think you're smiling now....just wait till' the snow isn't in your way .
smile.gif

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Mac,

I'm a no-go on the 23rd,... I'll be in Atlantic City losing lots of money and putting away some Hieneken
biggrin.gif
Thanks though. The p-lines are awesome: plenty of dry, washed out rocky stuff, plenty of mud and deep water, lots of slippery roots in the woods and just enough snow to make it fun!

Pumpkinhead, how can I find out about this riding area in Plymouth?

thanks

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC
NETRA & AMA Member

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

Top Bottom