miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Now I know that this report won't meet the high standards of a woodsy report, but I will do my best...

My friend and I went up to Lincoln Hills on Saturday. The drive up was a bit longer than mapquest said, so we got there about an hour later than expected. Mapquest said it was a 2hr 20min drive, and it took 3hr 30min. (Our first mistake)

We were very suprised as we passed the Tin Cup trail head. There was not a quad to be seen, and at least 30 bikes. This was great to see, because on our previous trips up here last year, we were the only bikes.

When we pulled into the Little Manistee parking lot there were about quite a few riders getting ready, but no where near the numbers at Tin Cup. As soon as we got out of the truck, we realized we had made another mistake. The temps up there were 15 degrees cooler than where we drove up from, and neither of us brought a jacket. So, I put on all the shirts I brought up (4) and then my jersey on top.

We did what we usualy do, and that is ride North from the parking lot up to the connector to Lincoln hills. The 5 or 6 miles of 2 track is a good warm up (no pun intended) for the tight technical single track at Lincoln Hills.

The single track was perfect. Tight, twisty, hilly, with some trees down on the trail to jump over. The temps were alot more comfortable under the cover of the trees, as there was no wind. When we came out of the trees we noticed that it had started to snow.

We rode a total of 40 miles before we called it a day. This is where our story seams to have a similar thread to some of the other ride reports for the weekend...

When we got back to our trailer, the guy next to us was loading up his quads. When he was done, he came over to talk to us and check out our bikes and chat. He told us that he and his 9 yr old son had been out riding their quads on the single track. :| That he kept getting his quad wedged between trees, and his son had flipped his.
He also told us that his 9 yr old son was riding a 250cc quad, illegaly. Where the heck was the DNR when you actualy need them?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I'll be out to Lincolh hills Sat the 24/25th to do trail maintance with the West Michigan Trail Ridders. We will get all those downed trees cleaned up for ya's. :thumb:

Next time you see quads out there ridding the single track. Remind them that is is illegal for them to be there and if the DNR or Forrest service catches them they will be fined. Not to mention that it wreck's our trails by making them wider.

oakesmi2

May 15, 2003
I rode Lincoln hills and the north side of little Manistee Friday.
Fifty Miles total. All in all a good first day out for me.
Except for the fouled spark plug because stupid me left my choke on. Oh well, I just feel bad for 525 DSK (AKA Dave) because I was a little unorganized, absent-minded and slow as heck!!

Oh yeah, I broke both my radiator shrouds as well, radiators were ok thanks to my works connection radiator brases (great investment) but hay that is a small price to pay for the great time I had.

525 DSK

Mar 30, 2004
Oakesmi2, let us not forget it took 5 miles and 3 fouled spark plugs before you figured out you had the choke on. It was a good ride just a little hail part way through the first ride other than that weather was great. Trails were way better than I expected. As Woodsy would say "tight and woodsy". Mike, I don’t know about you being all that slow, you seemed to be riding pretty good to me.

oakesmi2

May 15, 2003
Yeah, well I geuss I will justifiy it by saying that it was the first ride for me of the year.

Anyway, thanks for the great day riding and I definetly will be out with the DRN group more this spring/summer.

Top Bottom