Ride Report- Richland Furnace ,Ohio

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
SlowPoke Dennis picked me up at 7:00AM loaded up the V-10 Ram (cool truck) and we were off. Rich joined the convoy along the way. Two hours later we were sitting in SMB's driveway.

El Presidente had already had a crash in before we started riding his "little loop" in the back yard. I'll get back to that later. Basically The Richland furnace trails are pretty open, rocky, hilly and overall FAST! Slowpoke had a little problem with "Bob Hill" but somehow managed to climb every other hill that was 3 times as long and much more technical. The power line hills were great. It's awesome starting up a hill not knowing what the trail turns into. The trail conditions were perfect, nice sticky dirt and a great day to go along with it.

After riding a few hours we decided to go back to the house and grab a bite to eat. El Presidente was having some problems with his DR. It wasn't running great, although you wouldn't know it by the way he was riding. He assured us that the air cleaner was clean and it was fresh gas. Long story short, we found a small family of birds living in his air box.

We headed to their local home made Moto X track and started our "Bike Shoot-Out", each taking turns on each other's bikes. Basically El Presidente want's Rich's bike (WR400F), I want SlowPoke's bike(Husky wr250), and Rich and SMB (worked over KDX) are perfectly happy.

By this time we're pretty tired and we head back to the house. Rich and I decide to explore the "little loop" behind the house. These Guys were holding out on us!!! It turns out to be an arrowed Harescramble loop, complete with tight twisties through Pine's, technical climbs and decents, and a super fast section through the tree's to connect it all together. Rich and I did lap after lap giggleing the entire time. After realizing we had to stop sometime we headed back to the house. Just as I popped out of the woods a deer jumped out in front of me. I chased him over 300 yards across the field until he jumped back into the woods. Those things are FAST.

Overall it was a great time, SlowPoke bit it on the very bottom of a long, technical decent with the help of a hidden wet log, but he's a pretty tough guy. Actually it was me complaining on the way home how tired and hungry I was ;) . Hopefully El Presidente's DR will have survived the ordeal. If not, I'm sure we'll be seeing him on a new WR400.

Great Ride guys, Hope to do it again soon.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Bill,
glad you guys had fun, it's great to get out and ride with more experienced riders. I still can't believe you and Rich turned Bob Hill into a playground, it became painfully obvious to the prez and I that you're much better riders than we are. I agree with the slowpoke hill designation, dennis did very well on that one. Jason's DR appears to have jumped timing, we thoroughly cleaned that carb and it's still not running well at all. On the other hand he's now got a reason to get a WR. I can't believe the power those things put out, almost makes me want to buy a thumper :eek:

You failed to mention the part about yourself laying down in the creek back there :p or about taking the wrong tunnel out :p or about me getting lost back in that creek section, I'd never ridden that backwards, I got all turned around..

But anytime you guys want to come down and have some fun just let us know, really was a great ride on saturday.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (bored 40 over, FMF pipe, A-Loop suspension)

[This message has been edited by smb_racing (edited 03-04-2001).]

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
LOL... Yea, that's true. The two times I dropped my bike happened to be in the same mud hole! :) It's definitely easy to get lost back there.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Bill I enjoyed riding with you and Rich.The only time you dumped your bike and I was ahead of you(one of the few times). I guess I need to speed up a little and maybe get Rich to slow down a little so I can follow him. Rich is a very smooth rider always picking the easy and clean lines.
Jeff. This was the first time I rode with them.Still working on the pictures. Guess I better read the instructions.

------------------
Dennis
99 Husky WR250
I refuse to grow up

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
bill
thanks for the compliment on how i ride, i don't get them very often. the DR will live to see another day, in about 600.00 i will have it the way i want. so i am sidelined for a bit. rich u own my bike. how bout u sell it to me :p. i was very pleased on both u and bills riding ability, i need to ride w/ yall more often to get faster in the woods. i do hope we do get to ride again together soon. thank you all again for joining me and smb's little ride, and hope u make it to the trail ride in 3 weeks. thank you all again

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
actually jason the trail ride was planned for the 24-25, this is the last week of classes here in athens then I have finals, so I'll be ready to get out and take it easy in two weeks, looking forward to seeing even more DRN'ers down this time. Perhaps I should put up a new post about it to try and draw some more attention.

------------------
Jeff-

RM250boy

Mar 7, 2001
sounds like you guys are having more fun than legally allowed on 2 wheels!!! i sure would like to get hooked up with you guys and get in on the action!!! i thought everyplace was closed till april??? i just got my bike and cant wait to get back into the dirt bike scene!!! anyone planning on riding this weekend (march 10,11)??? i will keep checking back to see when you plan for the next ride!

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
green man
where we ride in richland is PRIVATE land. we do not ride on the state apv area. just thought i would let u know

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the APV area is fly trail, people ride that on bicycles, the area which we ride is pretty nice, you could ride it on a bike but you'd be tired :) where is mechanicsburg anyway?

------------------
Jeff-

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Well for the poor soles like me that have to ride on the public land Richland is ok for a short day of riding that does not take forever to get to. It is difficult to stay on the approved trails even when you are trying. We always seem to get off of the marked trails. You are right though it is not very challenging but it is fun for a change. If there are other riding opportunities in the area let me know.

As for Mechanicsburg it is a thriving metropolis half way between Dayton and Columbus. I am located at the intersection of SR 29 and SR 4. Dont blink you will miss it. Of coarse that would not be much of a loss.

Dont get the fly trail joke. I am just a slow Mechanicsburgian.

------------------
Tim
---------------------
98 KDX 220 00 ZX 900
94 Polaris 400 4X4
I Bleed Green!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
fly trail is just a term we use to descrbie WOT trail, I'm talking prop your feet up on the bars and kick back fast and smooth trail. Hey if you're interested in seeing what else richland has to offer a friend and I are going to ride it this saturday, if you're interested let me know jd_racing@email.com

------------------
Jeff-
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (big bore kit, A-Loop suspension, FMF pipe)

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
Jeff,
Still waiting on my motor. Few weeks late hoping it shows tommorow :) If it does Me and my buddie are planning to ride sat and sun. Sounds like you know richland alot better than me so maybe we can hook up and you can show me some of the fun parts :p not sure if its your phone number i have or rich's. I'll post here tomorrow and let ya know if my motor shows.
Hopefully ill be ready to ride.

stu182
93kdx250

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
sounds cool stu, I'm sure we'll be riding most of the weekend out in richland, if you don't want to park your truck/van/suv at the buggy camp to be vandalized my buddy and I just ride straight in from my house, it's about 3 miles of road but it sure beats having the tires stolen off your truck :)

------------------
Jeff-

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Jeff, sounds great. I missed the invite until it was too late. However I am interrested. We have a ride planned to Hatfield-MCcoy this weekend, but let me know in the future when you plan to go.
tim.bailey@nav-international.com

Feel free to join us in WV this weekend. All of the details are in posts in this forum. Search for GreenMan

------------------
Tim
---------------------
98 KDX 220 00 ZX 900
94 Polaris 400 4X4
I Bleed Green!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hey GreenMan, won't be able to make it this weekend to H&M, not enough cash. but I'll get ahold of you sometime and we'll see if we can work out some time to get together and go ride.

Stu182, did you get your motor back yet? they're calling for 70's this weekend if you'd be interested in some richland, a buddy of mine and I are going to go and you're welcome to come if your bike is willing, bring some friend if you want to also, need to have a nice big trail ride, it's been a while.

------------------
Jeff-

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hey GreenMan, won't be able to make it this weekend to H&M, not enough cash. but I'll get ahold of you sometime and we'll see if we can work out some time to get together and go ride.

Stu182, did you get your motor back yet? they're calling for 70's this weekend if you'd be interested in some richland, a buddy of mine and I are going to go and you're welcome to come if your bike is willing, bring some friend if you want to also, need to have a nice big trail ride, it's been a while.

------------------
Jeff-

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
SMB,
Last word was motor is being shipped today. So, things work out i'm rdy to ride!! But..
So is my son. He is racing out at action sports motocross track off of rt.356 n. Races start at 11:00. And if i get ooutta there soon enuff i should be able to get my bike back together in time to ride on sunday. I have a buddy i ride with 91kdx200 he'll prolly go but hes having probs with his forks leaking oil'. Front forks are nice at richland. I'll post back friday let ya know whats up. I also have to find out whats going on at the races. He may ride sunday too Depends. This is the loretta lynn qualifier. Not sure if he has a chance he's never rode this track. but it should be fun with alot off good competion. I'll be in my old red ford van, Sons riding older pw 50 #52. Look me up if ya stop by.

Stu182 <--Hoping to ride sunday
93kdx250d2 freshly rebuilt by jim @2fastracing

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
stu
tell your friend not to worry too much about his leaking forks, mine have been leaking for a little while now and I'm still doing ok, I have the seals to fix but it's just a time factor, also if he's interested Yamaha fork seals will work in his KDX providing they are inverted forks like mine, I purchased mine at Sport Cycles. Is there a fee to just watch the races? I've never been to that track, where the heck is 356 :)

------------------
Jeff-

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
Smb,
I'll let ed know about the yamaha fork seals,
here's directions to track.
Located approx 15 mile west of athens From rt. 50 out of albany turn on 356 North(are you familiar with the green brige swimming hole its right up from that, or the tennesee gas plant? its about a mile from there, Turn on 356 north towards mineral/new marshfield follows signs. It's out toward moonville and devils tea top or uncle bucks horse farm. You know any of these places. its prolly closer to your house than mine.

stu182
93kdx250.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
geez, I know almost exactly where that's at, I've been seeing signs for MX out that way and didn't even think, brain fart I guess, only about a half hour away from my house, I'll probably stop out by there sunday then just to see what's going on.

------------------
Jeff-

R

richland furnace

closing richland furnace

FYI they are closing richland furnace. Properties have been sold and the owners dont want anyone riding back there. Sheriff is going to start watching the area!

Top Bottom