Stenmash

Nov 25, 2004
I figured since the guys in the East Coast and up North ride in the rain, why should it scare us away? I got my freinds Tim and Brian to meet me for a morning ride at Rowher Flats (North LA between 5 and 14, all hilly, rocky, technical) on Sunday. You know the day there was a Flash Flood Warning for all of Southern California (found that out later).

We were unable to stage off Bouquet because the road was closed. Something about the river was overflowing over the road by the Ranger station (found out later). Plus some trees were down. We ended up staging at Texas Canyon off Sierra Highway.

It was raining, pretty well, but we decided to go for it and had a blast. Lots of water on the trails, and good traction because Rowher is more decomposed granite and not real muddy. There were small stream crossings all over the trails. Especially on that tight single track on the reservoir side. We were soaked but it was a lot of fun and not cold. I only fell into two streams! It was like being a kid again playing in the rain.

It was real nice being in the Rowher Hills during the rain because I am usually there when it is dry. We saw many small waterfalls and some very violent ones about 100 feet high. The usually bone dry washes were swelling with water moving around 20 mph, 30 feet across and depth unknown. Falling in could easily spell death. I wish I had a camera to show what it was like.

We spent about 3.5 hours on the bikes. Came back to the cars and dumped the gallons of water out of the boots and went home to watch some SX. On the way home, Sierra Highway was covered in about 6" to 12" of water at places for about 200 yards. Cars were getting stuck, but trucks were OK. I think they closed it right after I got through.

I had not expected it to be as bad as it was on the roads, nor did I expect it to be so fun on the trails in the pouring rain.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Sounds likea fun time. I sat in the rain Saturday night at the Supercross and stood in the rain Sunday working checks at a club enduro.

Top Bottom