Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
BlueRibbon Coalition said:
ATV Registration Fee Increases Proposed- Legislation has been introduced that would raise ATV registration fees dramatically and set aside a portion of the increased revenue to develop ATV trail opportunities. While the new trails would be very much appreciated, most of the money would go to the state general fund.

Currently, ATV registration costs $10 per year. This bill would raise the fee to $45 per year. It would set aside $850,000 for one year only to develop an ATV trail system. Without annual appropriations by the legislature, all of the fee would go to the general fund. It is expected that the increased fee would generate several million dollars per year.

New York OHV enthusiasts should contact their legislators and demand that all of the registration fees go to fund ATV programs. This should include development of opportunities, funding appropriate management and enforcement, and that the funds be set aside permanently in a dedicated fund that can not be diverted to the general fund.

More Info ->> Take Action:
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=4985541

http://www.amadirectlink.org/

www.sharetrails.org

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Yeah this craps been going on for years. Theyll prob give us a 10 mile loop on the Canadian border.

From the original argument:
In 1986 the original ATV law established mandatory registration of all recreational ATVs and off-highway motorcycles, and 50 percent of the fee was to be set aside for a trail fund. However, while funds accumulated, the grant program was never established. And in 1990 the fund was abolished and over $500,000 was removed to the state's general fund to make up for shortfalls in the State's budget due to economic recession. Since then, 100 percent of the $10 registration has been deposited to the general fund with no return to riders, for a total unrealized investment of over $7.2 million since 1986.

The motorized-recreation community has supported various New York Senate and Assembly bills to re-establish a dedicated fee-based funding source for the development ATV and off-highway motorcycle trails. All have failed.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
That is very sad on so many levels. I feel fortunate that Michigan has an extensive trail system, and a long-standing organization (CCC - www.cycleconservationclub.org) that has been actively involved for over 35 years. Check them out for some ideas on establishing a similar group in NY. The AMA and BlueRibbon Coalition may be able to provide some help as well.

checkburner

Nov 8, 2001
That is the reason I do not register my dirt bikes in NY. The off road plate that you get is totally useless you cannot even ride on the dirt roads or logging trails with it, it gives you no rights whatsoever to ride on public land. If we had a trail system I would gladly pay my reg. fee, but NY has lied to us too many times.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Smit-Dog said:
That is very sad on so many levels. I feel fortunate that Michigan has an extensive trail system, and a long-standing organization (CCC - www.cycleconservationclub.org) that has been actively involved for over 35 years. Check them out for some ideas on establishing a similar group in NY. The AMA and BlueRibbon Coalition may be able to provide some help as well.

There already is such a group in NY - New York State Off-Highway Recreational Vehicle Association (NYSORVA).

http://www.nysorva.org/

They are very active and have been the prime movers behind the recent attempts to pass a trails bill. The problem is that NY has a very unfriendly political environment for OHV interests. "Hostile" would not be too strong a word. Last year, for the first time in years, passage of a decent bill was very close to happening. However, at the last minute some tricky political manuevering took place and the bill was basically gutted of everything except stiffer enforcement provisions. NYSORVA reluctantly pulled out on the principle that no bill was better than a bad bill.

Top Bottom