murcada

Dec 16, 2002
I was wondering how the weight of a rider effects the handling of a dirt bike and if heavier riders need to use different riding techniques than average weight riders. My average rider is the one in which dirt bikes are manufactured for: 5'8"-5'10", 150-180lbs, you know, the proverbial "average rider".

I own a KX500 and I weigh a little over 300lbs. Let me describe some things that I've experienced and you can let me know if its because I'm big boned and big assed or if its just my lousy technique and if its the former maybe tell me how I can modify my technique.

I'll start with downhills because there my biggest problem. As I start to go down I keep my weight back, grip the seat with my knees and lightly pull in the front brake while simultaneously lightly pushing on the rear brake and slowly descend the hill letting the engine braking take over. Is this right? Every time without fail the front pushes out on me, on all types of terrain not just slippery stuff. Although on leaves or mud my bike feels down right scary, and I'm left with a bruised ego after having to walk the bike down like a *****. So is it bad technique, my weight or did I not give enough info to make a decision?

Ok this ones about standing riding position. Im top heavy and when I stand and try to ride (even in a aggressive crouching position: knees bent gripping bike, but off the seat, head over heandlebars) the forces on my body want to rip me off the bike and the bike wants to wheelie, especially while accelerating hard. This makes me sit most of the time which forces me to carry most of my weight on the seat and obviously makes the bike handle crappy. So do you have any ideas about a modified position or technique I could use to help me weight the pegs more and improve standing , or crouching, stability?

Those are the two things Im having the most trouble with. Im still ironing out my technique flaws in other areas but if I cant do the two things above correctly, I'll never be able to be a truly proficient rider.

If you have anything else to add about extra weight and modifying technique please let me know. Any input from other big guys out there about modified technique is appreciated.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Have you had your springs properly matched to your weight? If not, the handling of the bike will be all off and you won't be able to use all of your suspension's capabilities.

As far as feeling like the bike wants to run out from under you... I used to have the same feeling until it was taught to me to move around on the bike *in anticipation* of what it was going to do instead of *in reaction* to it. As you twist the throttle (or even just slightly before) you should be getting forward to compensate for it. If you twist the throttle then try to hang on, it is very hard to then get far enough forward.

By forward, I mean *really* forward. In a rare display of me actually getting forward on the bike: http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/Attack.jpg

Printgoon

Jan 27, 2004
I have/had the same problem. The weight makes a big difference on the handling of the bike. I weight AT LEAST 300 lbs and drug a pig of a bike(Husky 610) around the last three years. A friend of mine, who is a pit mechanic for some local amatuers, ran into each other a park. It was the first time we rode together(him being expert me being a slow trail rider).
When we got back to the truck he pretty much asked me about the problems I was having-and guessed them to a one. Arm pump, front slidding out, trouble keeping weight centered. He told me I had two choices loose weight or revamp the suspension. I took his 426 for a ride with suspension set up for supercross style riding-front stayed put-no arm pump-the bike felt solid. He told me that the Husky was wallowing and that when I sat the bike took a nose up approach to corners-this takes the weight off the front wheel making lose grip. Paid to have stiff springs put in changed the valve and the bike felt better-could ride longer and hit the bumps harder. I actually jumped without hurting anyone. To me it is the suspension. There should be more talking beween us fat guys-you know who you are. Most of have these problems-the bikes were not made for people of our size and stature.

Top Bottom