miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
I'm very seriously considering purchasing a 2002 KDX 220R.
My question is...
Is there anyone out there that rides the 220R that is over the pound per cc mark? And if so, did you do anything special to the bike to make it better for your weight.

BTW, I'm 6'1" 245lbs.

Thanks,

miScott

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Sorry I forgot to mention. The bike is allready has the following setup:
MX-Tech Suspension Service: .40 fork Springs, Sprung / Re-valved For 170-195 lbs woods rider.

Actualy, it is Smity's bike that I'm considering. :)

Thanks,

miScott

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Scott, good meeting you and your buddy Ron yesterday.

Most bikes right out of the crate are sprung for a 140-170lbs rider.

The MX-Tech web site has a spring rate generator utility. I punched in your numbers, and it recommended .45kg fork springs, and a 5.5kg shock spring. For reference, stock fork springs are .37kg (140lbs rider), and stock shock spring is 5.0kg.

The stock 5.0 shock spring is fine for my weight (185lbs), but would be undersprung for your weight. The fork springs should also be beefed up.

Best bet would be to talk to Jeremy at MX-Tech (815-936-6277), explain the situation, and see what kind of a deal could be worked out to get the suspension beefed up for your weight.

www.mx-tech.com

Let me know if you need the invoice number or anything.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
miScott:

You are good. I have seen some BIG BOYS on KDXs and they do just fine.

There are a number of guys in this group that are 220+ and are very happy.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
You're fine. I'm 230 w/o gear with a KDX200 and power-wise, it works. You will want to get different forks springs and a shock spring for your weight like Smit said.

Best,
Greg

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
You know louis, I couldn't have said it better myself. Apparently bigger is better? and size does matter! Plus when you ride with a big guy, he can always help you pick up your bike when, I mean if you crash.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
thanks for the good info

Smity accepted my offer, so as soon as I get him the $'s I will have a sweet 2002 KDX 220R. Thanks for all the good info.

looking out the window is depressing though, snowing like crazy....

miScott

Last edited:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
MiScott,

Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!

NM_KDX200 said:
I'm 5' 5", 165 lbs. Surprising that you big guys still get around good on the KDX! I would've thought it would be too small.....

NM,

I'm 5'11" and 230# and I physically fit just fine. The stock suspension is too light for bigger riders but a phonecall and a credit card can take care of that. For me at least, it's about usable power band. The bike goes well down trails, especially in slow stuff. In a head to head drag race, there's a good chance that a rider on a more powerful bike will win but that's not a big worry for me. There's plenty of hop-up potential here too. It definitely can't be beat for the price. :thumb:

Best,
Greg

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Braahp said:
I'd say the .40 springs will be a perfect setup for you. Anything over that is pretty harsh in the woods.

I had .42's in my 2000 and they were OK. Kept the front end from tucking under when cornering on the pegs. All woods riding in sandy MI.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If you do not already have it. You might enjoy a 12 tooth countershaft sproket. Little more snap for the weight. Changing the countershaft is cheap and easy.

Top Bottom