riding across top of deep water????

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
HI,
I just saw crusty 2 and there were some guys that were going across a lake on there bikes.
I look like the water was about 4 feet deep but yet there bike went across the top like it was only 3 inches. Is that possible with a long fast start to skim the water like that?

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Yes, indeed possible. Me and my friend always skip snowmobiles on the lake's open water during the winter. Always a blast, but I would imagine easier than on a dirt bike because of the wider track. It would work with a dirt bike, but you'd have to be 5th gear tapped out, and ease into the water. But the consequences of going under, and your engine sucking in water is enough to scare me away.

------------------
-Ryan
'00 CR 125

Jesse

Aug 29, 1999
While it might indeed be possible, I seriously doubt that anyone could skip a dirtbike across water. This might not make sense but....I don't think there would be enough contact with the water to make it skip....all the weight would be in one area, not spread out like on a snowmobile. I can remember one time back in the day when I rode quads (yes I know) I tried to skip water with that, and it just stopped me dead, went over the bars :) Just my $2.02

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Yes, it is possible. Crusty 2 and SMP Disturbing the Peace all prove it correct. Snowmobiles, it's very much easier because of the larger surface area that is on top of the water, thus enabling the 'mobile better stability, contact area and what not. On dirt bike's obviously you have a smaller contact area, but also consider the weight factors. They weigh less, and they loose stability. Snowmobiles also have ski's, not a front tire. This the main problem with getting a bike to skip, the front tire plows the path, reducing flow and dynamics. Thus causing acceleration loss, and sinkage. I have never tried skipping a dirt bike, but like I said, the thought of your motor sucking in water, and having it submerged in water is a frightening thought. To add, water was also skipped in Crusty 2000. Hey Okie, will there be any ponds or lakes at Spodefest to test this argument out?

Just think of how much more Moses could have accomplished if he had a dirt bike, instead of having to part water.
douga25.gif

------------------
-Ryan
'00 CR 125

Jesse

Aug 29, 1999
Yogurt, quit out-talking yourself. :eek: :)I will believe it when I see it!!!

Just a little behind the scenes Jesse vs. Yogurt:

FMF614: im gonna reply my disagreement to your post in the riding forum
Yogi031: lmao
Yogi031: lmfao!
Yogi031: what is there to possibly disagree?
FMF614: (edit) S***.....
Yogi031: you post the heat, i just hope you can handel, my heat penetrating sheild!!!
FMF614: this is DRN, NOT STARWARS
Yogi031: (Edit) F***er
FMF614: its up
Yogi031: your dead
Yogi031: i haven't read it yet, but i know your dead..lol
FMF614: now its on :0
Yogi031: ok, mr retarded face man
FMF614: i got all technical in my post, regarding surface pressure, contact patch etc.....
Yogi031: but didn't i?
Yogi031: i'm replying
FMF614: bring it the (Edit) F*** on :-)
FMF614: (Edit)darn, dont be getting all creative with me
Yogi031: oh your screwed
FMF614: you stepin' up to this piece of finely tuned machinery???
FMF614: huh
FMF614: huh

In closing, I am amazed at how competitive MX/DRN can become :D......especially when I know I'm right :)

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 08-03-2000).]

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Where do you live boy?! I'm bring over all three of those tapes, making you watch them, and proving to you that it is possible, and thus prving I am right. How childish to post our AOL Instant Messanger conversation during this whole posting time. You stupid-head!
ketten.gif
lol

Man did this get off topic quick.

------------------
-Ryan
'00 CR 125

Jesse

Aug 29, 1999
Because everything you see on TV is real. Heck, I still believe Superman can fly, and that Robo-Cop truely exists.

Back to the original topic........

bwes93

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2000
jesse its possible cause its in the videos and in one of them you see a bike going across the top of the water and then going under and the water is like four or five feet deep.
plus there is no good place to try this at the spode fest. too bad that would make some good stories and pictures.

yogurt how do you guys keep doing those different smilies?

[This message has been edited by bwes93 (edited 08-03-2000).]

Jesse

Aug 29, 1999
OK OK already. Ryan convinced me that it can be done if:
A. you ease into the water level
B. enter on a gradual slope
C. go about 80 MPH
D. have your fairy god mother sprinkle some of her magic dust in your gas tank (Rich maybe, minus the mother part) :)
E. barometric pressure is @ 30.0299887667887

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I've done it and seen plenty of others do it during a race we had on the Canadian River in OK. 2-3 feet deep 40-50 feet across. Sit way back toes on pegs or off entirely and wide open 5th gear. Not that hard just take huge stainless steel balls.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I tried it at the edge of the Red River near Muenster, TX. The fastest I tried it was pinned 4th on my diesel pig 620. I never got the rear on top of the water, but the front felt like it was a few times.

k74

Jul 27, 2000
Are they doing it on stock bikes. With regular dirt tires or are they using paddle tires? I would be willing to try it if I could see it done on a stock 250. I do it all summer long on my snowmachine.Are there any pictures of this on the internet? Thanks

rene

May 10, 2000
The guy who did this used to be a fisherman from Palestina
He tried to pass on the trick to twelve of his disciples.
No one passed though !

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Stock 250 even a 125 can do it. Just a matter of speed. It is not like a snowmobile which I've seen on tv driving around like a boat. It is just for a straight shot across a river or pond with a flat shore. For video check out www.fleshwoundfilms.com there is a quicktime clip called firewater which shows a guy blast through a wall of fire across a pond.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
I was riding in a huge sand pit this past weekend and there was a body of water 3 feet deep and about 100 feet across. A guy on a CR250 came wailing past me WFO and skimmed across the water like it wasn't even there,... it was SWEET! I had seen it done in the crusty videos so I know it's possible but I didn't expect it where I was. It CAN be done,... if you're a little looney!

------------------
Jay
1999 KDX 220

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
i have done this & seen it done. key points: know the bottom. keep it pinned in the meat of the powerband. keep your weight all the way back, like the guy on the web page. never back off the throttle 1 iota. we used to race on a course that crosses a big creek numerous times. i don't do this anymore in races b/c it's hard to keep from soaking your goggles & gear & b/c there's so much risk that the front wheel will drop & you'll spend the rest of your day pumping the water out. i read in dirt rider or somewhere that the AA guys never do this b/c it's so risky, you soak your gear, & don't save much time. sure looks cool, tho.

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
The only way for you to find out of it works is to get your bike, find a nice body of water and a friend that will help you bump start the bike after you bail and TRY IT! but when i tried it i ended up hitting a rock under water then flying over my handle bars and swalling a mouthfull of pond water. But thats just me. The best way to go through water is on your back tire, or go around.

Joe93-CR250

Mar 8, 2000
I HAVE DONE THIS!!! i have a cr250, i did it in water about 3 feet deep, i know this was that deep because i saw a quad sink in it. It helps to lean back and almost do a wheelie, then just pin it in at least top 3rd mid 4th gear, you get a little wet, but you can make it across.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Absolutely, you can skip water w/ a plain old bike. One very wet enduro had some long stretches of flooded gravel roads, with the sections being 30 yards or so long. At the time, I was riding an IT200. Use 5th or 6th gear (about 60 mph), tuck in your toes, lean back, and keep it pegged!

And, wait to hollar "YEE-HAW!!!!" AFTER you've skimmed accross; if you crash with your mouth wide open, it's bad news! :eek:

------------------
Vet A Enduro & Hare Scrambles Rider
Hey, I USED to be fast!

GeorgiaBoy

Jun 12, 2000
I am a new rider and I will have to say, when I saw this post a few weeks ago, I thought you guys were full of Poo-poo. Since then, I have watched the video "Crusty demons of dirt" part 2 and "ITs very real". Lots of footage there of sucessful and not so sucessful "lake" crossings on dirt bikes. Very impressive to say the least.

The coverage is very good and you can see the body position they are using.

Looks like all you need is good body position, lots of throttle and a big set of grapefruits. :p I only have two of the three. :o

GB

Would like to see it in person, just not me. :)

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Jesse-
I've never been to Kellogg, but I do get down to Millville for the HS, and I see this season there is a race at Mazzeppa.

The water skip could be an excellent defensive move against the other riders. They WILL have to back off, unless they follow directly behind you.

Do you ever get to Staples? I mx there once or so a season, but the rest is woods racing.

Have you ever tried HS? Round up that Yoplait ;) charactor and catch a HS this fall.

------------------
Vet A Enduro & Hare Scrambles Rider
Hey, I USED to be fast!

Jesse

Aug 29, 1999
Yup, I race Staples all the time. I have a cabin on Lake Shamineau which is about 5 miles from there. The track is always flooded in the back section right next to the swamp, which is where this tip might come in handy. I would love to see the look on peoples faces as I come skipping by them :)

Top Bottom