stephenN

Mar 11, 2001
I would like to know what is the best technique for riding a berm, do you slide your brake into the turn, or do you go into it slow and gas it to make it slide around?

Thanks

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
lean into it your bike into it, keep your body not as leaned
if your front end starts to slide out a little, just give a little front break, same with the rear, accelerate though it

Aug 6, 2000
If your front end starts to slide hitting your front brake will most likely cause a wash out. Best thing I learned is either crank the throttle wide open or hit your rear brake

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
ooo thanks
i heard that somewhere and i did wash once trying it
haw

now yesterday i just try and whipe the back end up a little with wide throttle

that seemed to work well

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Not really picking on you, BDog, but it's a good time to mention it...

If one is to post advice regarding something about which they are not really sure, they should preface it with something like:
  • I have heard...
  • I'm not an expert, but this works for me...
  • WARNING: The following advice is from a novice...

BTW, I have used all 3. :)

Sinec it is difficult for someone to ascertain the credibility of the source of information posted, they could have been hurt following the incorrect advice given.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Kind of going back to the original question...if you've got a bermed turn and you are having problems with the front wheel sliding out, is is most likely becuase you are not really using the berm, but rather trying to turn just inside the berm.

A hard thing for many of us to learn is to actually trustthe berm and use it. If you put the bike into a berm, lay it over, and get on the gas, it will hold more than most of us initially believe. If you fail to do any of the three, something will probably go wrong.

If you lay it over and get on the gas without actually putting the bike into the berm, it will slide out.
If you put it in the berm and lay it over but don't get on the gas hard enough, the front wheel will climb out the inside and you might fall over.
If you put it in the berm and get on the gas without leaning it over far enough, you will likely go out over the berm.

To actually address your question, if you're in a right turn and the front starts to slide, my first inclination is to stand the bike up more so that the front tire will bite. If my inside leg is out, the bike starting to slide will usually result in the inside foot hitting the ground and helping to get the bike more upright. Also,while doing so I'll likely panic and let off the gas which whill transfer some weight to the front which will also help the front tire bite more.

If the back end starts sliding out, my approach is very similar. Many times the back end will slide out because the rear tire has lost traction due to spinning. Merely letting off the gas will sometimes let it slow down to where it will hook up again.

Please remember that these are the suggestions of a mid-pack +35 rider...not an expert. I'm only here as a moderator to keep MRRMX in check, not to give meaningful advice :). Once Wardy (or Ol89'er or someone else qualified) gets a chance to verify what I suggested, then I'd consider it useful.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Gomer sounds right--
if you are washing the front end out into a bermed corner ..most likely you dint hit the berm.
you turned inside it and the front end has nothng to grab.
but its hard to tell from what youve decscribed so far.

I can tell you that using your front brake while layed over will indeed wash the front end out.
Some riders actually use this technique going into a rutted or bermed corner..if the front end is inside the berm they will intentionally brake to wash the front out into the berm..you have to be off the brake and on the gas at the moment the front catches the berm though !!
so its an advanced technique.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
My Gary Semics book suggests that you feather the front brake in a corner with a berm until you are ready to accelerate hard and then you let off the front brake. This helps to slow the bike the bike down, shorten the steering angle and keep weight on the front for traction. I have tried it and have good success with this technique, as long as you feather the front brake and not grab too much.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
You have got to have your berm technique down before trying any fancy brake-feathering.

I think Gomer gave some solid advice, and to the original question: You will not brake-slide to a garden-variety bermed turn. If the berm has a rut that has a kink in the beginning, or the turn is pretty tight, then a brake-slide can help you. Most often it just eats away your momentum, offering little advantage.

Top Bottom