Riding/Fishing in Sierras in late May. Suggestions?

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I'm going on a fishing/riding trip in the end of May in the Sierras, either near Blue Lakes, or Alpine Lake, or farther north, near Buck's Lake. Does anyone know any nice rides (preferably to fishing spots). My friend who's coming is a novice and can probably only ride fire roads and easy trails, so factor that in if you can. He will be riding a XR200 dual sport, so he can muscle it around ok in tight stuff, but uphills and downhills would be a challenge.
Thanks in advance,
Toby

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stumpy Meadows Lake is only a few miles down the road from the excellent trail network at Rock Creek/Mace Mill, just east of Georgetown.

The good parts of the Rubicon Trail are accessible from Loon Lake (take Ice House Road up from Hwy 50). It's 6,400 feet, so late May may be too early in the year. They get jeeps across the Rubicon Trail, but an inexperienced rider on a low ground clearance bike might have some trouble. It's beautiful, though, and most of the trail is easy. If street legal you can ride 22 miles to to Hwy 89 and Lake Tahoe provided the river crossing is low.

You have tons of options - good luck and have fun!

john loggins

Sep 5, 2001
Best trails I found in the area of Sacramento was right outside of Auburn, there are some lakes in the area and I remember riding right up to one once. the trails are part of the Auburn State Rec. area and there are about 20 miles of varying loops...and they are marked as to difficulty (get a brochure at the ranger station in Foresthill.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Rattlesnake Trail, from the Kern Plateau (Kennedy Meadows) is a 10-mile intermediate trail leading to Rattlesnake Creek; it's accessible from the San Joaquin Valley side for you. The creek is adjacent to but not in the Golden Trout Wilderness, so the limits/constraints do not apply; standard trout regulations do (I did my homework). Not many do this very thing, so I'd expect you'd have the creek to yourselves. It's been a dry year, so I wouldn't expect it to be as good as times past, but mixed with dirt biking, it's still quite an experience.

A friend & I did this very thing some time ago, staging off of the pavement @ the trail head and riding our dirt bikes down with gear in small backpacks, then carried our limit of them beauties on the way back out. The goldens lose some of their color @ lower elevations (8K' there), but they are still pretty fish - and I might add: tasty too.

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
Sounds like fun! We plan a fishing trip most every year, but I'd love to combine it with a great trail ride. Any ideas on the eastern side of the Sierras? Bishop, Mammoth, etc.? Thanks. Also, how advanced are the trails. I've heard a bit about Kennedy Meadows, but have heard that most of the trails are pretty advanced. If I bring the family, my wife and youngest son are just barely intermediate riders. thanks.

Bill

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Dr. Bill: take you can take the family into Monache Mdws on the jeep trail just north of the Blackrock Visitor Center. The trail is made for 4x4s, but can be done on a quad or 80; my wife & I did it doubling up on my full-sized bike last year.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom