ttrider24

Apr 2, 2006
Do you guys have any tips for riding through mud? Every time I ride in mud I end up getting stuck and I've seen some people get through the same mud without getting stuck. :bang: I stay in 2nd gear the whlole time and I'm thinking thats my problem. Should I downshift to 1st or what?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Try carrying more speed into it. I think 3rd could help a bit, not as much wheel spin when you twist the grip. I have experience a couple of muddy days, but just enjoyed the ride. Carry something to change into and remember, mud is usually soft:laugh: .

ttrider24

Apr 2, 2006
FruDaddy said:
Try carrying more speed into it. I think 3rd could help a bit, not as much wheel spin when you twist the grip. I have experience a couple of muddy days, but just enjoyed the ride. Carry something to change into and remember, mud is usually soft .

I figured the speed might be a problem but when I tried it again going faster the same thing happened. Just wondering because I'm going riding with some experienced riders and I dont want to be left behind if there's any mud and I get stuck.

And about the mud being soft... I learned that the hard way. The mud was about 3in.-4in. deep and when I got stuck I gave it more gas to try and get it out but it didn't do anything but sling more mud under the fender. Then after I dropped it I sunk even further trying to get it out. And I didn't have a change of clothes so thats something I'll definately do next time.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Stiffen up the fork compression a few clicks, stand up and squeeze the bike with your legs, look where you want to go--not where the front wheel is, let the rear slip and slide but point it where want to go, and keep a steady, even throttle. Having a good mud tire helps too.

Feb 20, 2004
another good tip is once your momentum is gone. don't spin the tire. when you know your about to get stuck. hop off and start to push to help get it out while you still have a little bit of momentum

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
What tire pressures are you running?

1994WR250Chad

Mar 19, 2006
FruDaddy said:
Try carrying more speed into it.

Although I always get the speed before i enter the mud... i must tell you all what happened today!

As I rounded a corner doing a pretty high rate of speed,
I had a choice of dry rutted area on the left or an area on the right which appeared to be Level... dried mud... Seeing the area the right appeared to the best choice so i gunned it!

a half a seconded later I was half way through the "dried" Mud Zone... and 0 spead.... rear tire in the air (ENDO)..:yikes:.. front tire submerged up to and over the brakes. Then Bamm... My rear tire slams down and sumbmerged its self into the freshly rutted mud.
Wow.... this all happened so fast. I though I was going to be superman, by the force of the stop, I held on for dear life...

I only wish i could have seen it as a by stander...lol I am positive I would have laughed my but off. unforunately my buddy was about 5 seconds behind me and came up to see me sunk into the mudd. it took us a good 5 minutes to pry my bike from the mudd. It was stuckreally good. :nod:

Last edited:

ttrider24

Apr 2, 2006
Steve St.Laurent said:
What tire pressures are you running?
I'm not sure. I'll check once I get home though.
1994WR250Chad said:
a half a seconded later I was half way through the "dried" Mud Zone... and 0 spead.... rear tire in the air (ENDO).... front tire submerged up to and over the brakes. Then Bamm... My rear tire slams down and sumbmerged its self into the freshly rutted mud.
I hate it when the mud is rutted like that. Thats the kind of mud you keep sinking into after you get stuck and then when somone tries to help you out they get stuck too. Ironically all this talk about riding in mud makes me want to. :laugh:

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
A good mud tip...but off topic a bit.

I've heard that cooking spray on the inside of fenders helps the mud fall off and not build up. It can get pretty heavy.

grw3am

Jan 26, 2006
Look at the trees....

I assume you mostly trail ride with the TT so here is a tip I learned from a vet a long time ago. On trails that have a wet, muddy chewed up centerline, quickly look for alternative lines. Depending on the area of the USA you live, look for pines, spruce, fir, etc (any tree that would make a Christmas tree or one with needles) and try to ride toward and if possible through that area until you are past the mud. Those type trees will not survive in low heavy soils but require a well drained sandier soil that will allow you to hook up and go.
You likely will have to blaze a trail and it probably will be gnarly for a short distance but you will be amazed what a slightly lifted front end will mow down. That torquey TT230 will handle that nicely. You probably already have Bark Busters/hand guards which are necessary for this or the brush will engage the front brake and the clutch.
I would suggest practicing this before really needing it. Be aggressive, lower your head and go.
I agree with the person advising using a taller gear and I have had good success staying light on the seat and dabbing when necessary.

grw3am

Jan 26, 2006
Look at the trees....

I assume you mostly trail ride with the TT so here is a tip I learned from a vet a long time ago. On trails that have a wet, muddy chewed up centerline, quickly look for alternative lines. Depending on the area of the USA you live, look for pines, spruce, fir, etc (any tree that would make a Christmas tree or one with needles) and try to ride toward and if possible through that area until you are past the mud. Those type trees will not survive in low heavy soils but require a well drained sandier soil that will allow you to hook up and go.
You likely will have to blaze a trail and it probably will be gnarly for a short distance but you will be amazed what a slightly lifted front end will mow down. That torquey TT230 will handle that nicely. You probably already have Bark Busters/hand guards which are necessary for this or the brush will engage the front brake and the clutch.
I would suggest practicing this before really needing it. Be aggressive, lower your head and go.
I agree with the person advising using a taller gear and I have had good success staying light on the seat and dabbing when necessary.

dbn045

May 25, 2006
I usually try to lean back a little. Don't lean back to far though because then you will get it burried in the mud. and maybe chopping on the throttle might help.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Mate, stand up as much as possible, keep it nailed and don't look at the front wheel! Let the bike squirm around if it wants to but imagine you're skiing or surfing, and steer the bike with a combo of body/throttle....braaaap. Feels great when you get it right.
Once you sit down you lose the ability to steer properly, as your poking and pushing the front tire onto the mud. Keep your feet on the pegs as long as you can... it's real hard to get yourself going at a good speed if you're paddling!!

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
how do you handle the slick mud - like the tennessee orange clay. that stuff is like ice when it gets wet. another is my home track that is mostly good black topsoil - when this stuff is wet and recently groomed, you can't hold a line with the bike - it just seems to go where it wants. any suggestions how to deal with these two situations - other than take the day off to work on the bikes...

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Go out and practice in the rain/mud.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I ride a 2T, so take this for what it's worth. I find that if I lean way back and give it more throttle (wheel spin) upon entering the mud, I get through it much quicker. This is assuming I'm going at least 2'nd gear speed already. I've never been through lots of mud slowly before. Damn, I want to go ride in the mud now!!!

bdh825

Jun 10, 2005
dezryder said:
I've heard that cooking spray on the inside of fenders helps the mud fall off and not build up. It can get pretty heavy.

Put cooking spray, wd40 or any kind of loosener on the whole bike. I agree it will definatly make the dirt and mud fall off easier which also makes it easier to clean. It puts a nice shine on the bike too.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
bdh825 said:
Put cooking spray, wd40 or any kind of loosener on the whole bike. I agree it will definatly make the dirt and mud fall off easier which also makes it easier to clean. It puts a nice shine on the bike too.
I wouldn't put it anywhere that your legs would need to grip.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
tnrider said:
how do you handle the slick mud - like the tennessee orange clay. that stuff is like ice when it gets wet. another is my home track that is mostly good black topsoil - when this stuff is wet and recently groomed, you can't hold a line with the bike - it just seems to go where it wants. any suggestions how to deal with these two situations - other than take the day off to work on the bikes...
When the bike does decide to head off course, trying to muscle it back in slippery conditions is often a losing battle and will result in having to pick it back up after the front end washes out.

When that happens to me, I try to let it go where it wants with the hope that I'll get more traction when it gets to the edge of the trail and try to bring it back under control then.

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
tnrider said:

If you are talking about a slick layer of clay over a hard surface throttle control is key. Also keep loose and let the bike do what it has to within reason. Don't get jiggy with the brakes. All of this is best performed standing up.

Top Bottom