Riding in Southwestern British Columbia (My personal view)

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
This is a copy of an editorial I posted on my website. To be honest it's my website, so I use it as my personal soapbox. I just decided to post it here so that other riders can read it and comment.

Mike Fodor / Team Grizzly Off-Road Motorcycle Club

The Ultimate Rant.

Do you like to ride? Of course you do. Do you think that the trails magically clear themselves from deadfall? Do you think that bridges fall from the sky? Do you think that trails magically appear from nowhere? Do you think that muddy sections fill themselves up with rocks and branches? I don't think you're that stupid. But then again...

I have to ask that question of myself when I look at what is going on in the motorcycle community. I don't know one of the areas in the Fraser Valley that isn't under some threat of closure or disruption. Scott Paper is threatening to shut down access to Herrling Island in response to some vandalism to their plantation and equipment. McNutt has access issues as well since the Municipality of Maple Ridge is not allowing access to the riding area through municipality property. It looks like a gate will be installed at Vedder Mountain to prevent it from being a torching spot for stolen cars and a vandals haven. Nicklemine is being logged and trails are being obliterated. Chipmunk Creek is also being logged in addition to being the site of a proposed ski area. And what do riders say when an area is threatened with shut down? "I'll go ride somewhere else or just slide under the gate."

Well excuse me stupid, I guess all the work of the Clubs and the PNWMA is worthless to you? As a member of Team Grizzly, I can say that if we are legally barred access to Chipmunk Creek, I will NOT slide my bike and chainsaw under the gate to fix trails. I will NOT put on the Piston Run Cross Country. But before that happens, I will NOT allow off-road motorcycle riding to become a criminal offense. But some people are NOT helping. In one day at Chipmunk Creek, ten riders passed our work party and none of them stopped to help. Hey dumbass, we're working to maintain the trails, the same trails you are riding on. Thirty minutes of your time would be nice and it would show your appreciation more than a simple "thank you".

Preserving our privilege to ride takes and effort from each one of us. It's not a huge effort but if each rider does their part the sport will be better for it.

Ride responsibly and don't drink and ride. There is a memorial to two riders at Chipmunk who were drinking then went for a ride. The fun ended when they were involved with a head on collision. Both riders died on impact. Also up at McNutt a mountain bike organizer was trying to build a race course and found it to be wrecked by off-road motorcycles. The result was an article in the Maple Ridge Times stating that all dirtbikers are a bunch of destructive irresponsible goons that don't pull their weight on the mountain trails. I hate being painted with that brush and I knew a few other guys who hate that brush too. I've seen riders racing along the forest service roads without even a helmet on. I've dealt with hikers and mountain bikers that have been quite annoyed with the behavior of off-road motorcycle riders. The enviro-nazi's love that stuff. It's the "divided we conquer" strategy for them. Respect other trail users, such as the hikers, mountain bikers, 4x4 drivers, hunters, ATV riders, and snowmobilers. We all love the outdoors, let us keep our privilege to play open.

Clean up after yourself. At one cleanup effort, it took a crew of over twenty guys and a full size garbage truck to clean up the mess in the parking area at McNutt. Sorry but I'd rather be riding. Just because one jackass put some garbage there doesn't allow you the same opportunity.

Less sound equals more ground. Other people get annoyed with the sound of loud bikes. If bikes were quiet then people wouldn't mind having a riding area in their backyard because it wouldn't bother them. The PNWMA is phasing in a requirement that all competition bikes pass a 96 dB sound limit and have spark arresters. After watching the BC woods go up in smoke this past summer, it would be crappy to be known as the "jackass who burned down Chipmunk." We have to more considerate in our concerns. I remember older riders reminiscing about areas they rode, such as Cypress, Sea Island, Stokes Pit, McLelland Pit, Triangle Rd, No 8 Rd. Landfill, Westwood, Mary Hill, Strawberry Island... Do you want to reminisce about being able to ride in areas such as Herrling Island and Vedder?

Come out and help. It's not that damn hard. We're not looking to break your back. It will keep you in shape and it can be great social fun. I've helped other clubs clean trail and it's been fun. Some guys have been kind enough to lend me their bikes for a quick spin and we've shared beers around a campfire afterwards. A lack of help was responsible for the closure of the Quickshift Hare Scrambles at Herrling Island and the Beyond Hope Hare Scrambles at the Nicklemine. The organizers just said "screw this". The Fraser Valley Dirt Riders are looking at pulling their Poker Run out of Herrling if they can't find a resolution to make Scott Paper happy. Team Grizzly may be known as a "racing" club, but we would love to organize fun rides and the like if we only had more members. But when there are only five guys that come out and clear a 30 km loop, it takes all our time to clean the area. The money from the event then goes back into the sport to cover the half a dozen chains, three bars, ten gallons of premix gas, ten gallons of bar oil, couple shovels, couple of mattocks, a couple of sierra saws, a couple of pruners and the bags of spikes used for bridges, as well at the stuff for trail signage. And that's after we pay for all the expenses used for the race.

That's my rant. Things are changing in the woods. There is even plans of introducing a registration and licensing requirement for all off-highway vehicles in the next few years. The ball is already rolling on that project. Where do you want to be? In front when you can get crushed or behind it where you can steer? Ask yourself that question the next time you ride.

To all those riders that firmly grasp a shovel and chainsaw to maintain trails, I express my heartfelt thanks for your effort. To all those riders who have taken their time to attend user group meetings, to fight the political fight for the sport, I truly salute you. To everyone else, I hope I made you think for a moment.

Mike Fodor

The preceding is the opinion of myself, Mike Fodor and not official policy of the Team. I would like to ask readers who feel that they should take action, start by copying the entire article and emailing it to their friends. Also if anyone would like to express their opinion can email me at teamgrizzly@hotmail.com

Dirt Biker's Ten Commandments

1.) Ride with proper gear at all times.
2.) Have a proper spark arrestor and exhaust silencer.
3.) Obey all private property and no trespassing signs at all times
4.) Appreciate our environment and our designated riding areas.
5.) Always be considerate of any others in the area.
6.) Move aside for a faster rider whenever it is safe to do so.
7.) Be aware of slower riders and pass with care.
8.) Offer assistance to other dirt riders if needed.
9.) Be free of drugs and alcohol when riding.
10.) Keep our riding areas litter free and take all your garbage with you.
(Thanks to the Fraser Valley Dirt Riders.)

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Great article Mike. Thanks for posting it here. Our club (Skagit M/C) had a work party at Walker Valley (near Mt. Vernon, WA) Sunday and we were pleasantly surprised when three guys stopped and actually helped us with a marjor windfall clearing operation for about 1/2 hour out on the trail. That is a rare occassion. I think most folks falsely assume that anyone out doing trail work is an employee of the land manager. In an effort to buck that attitude, we occassionaly post signs adjacent to major repairs that state the work was done by volunteers from our club. More volunteers are always needed. Thanks to Team Grizzly and others out fighting the good fight. I'll be thinking of you on my next ride up at Chipmunk.

Loghopper

Mar 31, 2002
I hear ya Mike, we are getting ready to get back in the woods this spring up here in Vernon. I know Julie and I will be up there 3 days a week all year with little help. I often think how great it would be to get five people to donate 3 days a year. it would make a huge differance. We are all looking forward to the piston run, I think I've been to them all since '83. Hope you can make it up to Vernon .

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wow, we're spoilt. We've got a great crew, but more is always welcome - out of a club of about 300, there's about 10-15 that do everything.

We had one guy turn up with his kids on the off-chance we might be having a working bee. He got the impression (stunned silence) that we don't get new volunteers turn up often. He's been back & even though we work him to the bone, has a great time - heck he even turns up with the kids & without the bikes sometimes. We have bikeless days & we have days where we just can't be bothered unloading the bikes, but we always have a laugh.

Yes, we also have the assholes who ride past us (riding illegally), some even stopping for a chat. No, we don't get paid monetarily, the ride profits go back into building bridges, buying arrows/paint & whatever else is needed. We are also known as an elitist racing club and get slammed for putting on rides that are "too technical, too hard" - hello, but I suck & I get around them & have fun. Why should we put on rides that none of us want to actually ride?

Yeah, this thread puts me on my soapbox too :) To all of you out there, don't let the knockers get you down, keep doing the best you can & don't burn yourself out. When you feel you've just had enough, stop.

To those who just turn up & pay for riding, remember to thank those that have slaved their ring off to put that ride/race on - it is appreciated. To those of you who don't quite know how to go about helping out - phone your local club, ask, pester them into a date/time you can come & help - don't expect them to phone you, they're probably busy enough trying to organise other stuff (I know our theory is if they're really keen to help, they'll contact us, we shouldn't have to chase them).
Michelle

Last edited:
Top Bottom