SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi I do off road riding here in South Africa and have recently started racing. I did a race this weekend, it had rain a couple days before the race so things were quite slippery out there. A large part of the race between obsticals like river crossings, hills, etc. was ridden in cattle tracks which followed the contours of the farm land, the cattle tracks were quite deep in places and made things difficult, because it was like riding in a hard compact, slippery rut, which caused me to fall on a number of occations. I tried riding out of the rut, but the long grass on the sides of the rut hid rocks which posed an even greater problem, so it was back to the silppery rut. I ended up reducing my speed quite a bit because i got sick and tied of falling.

I spoke to some quicker guys about riding in the ruts and they said I should sit back on the bikes and almost let the rut stear you in the direction instead on trying to turn you handle bars and stear though the sweaping corners.

Please help, sick and tied of falling in ruts!!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I hate ruts.

The best way to get through them is to:

1) Don't look down at the rut - look ahead. Just like turning, look where you want to go, not at the thing you don't want to hit.

2) Keep the front wheel light.

3) Commit and hope for the best.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
It sound like there is a fair bit of chance involved, "commit and hope for the best". I will give it a try though, anything is better than nothing. Anyone else out there with other suggestions???

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
CaptainObvious said:
I hate ruts.

The best way to get through them is to:

1) Don't look down at the rut - look ahead. Just like turning, look where you want to go, not at the thing you don't want to hit.

2) Keep the front wheel light.

3) Commit and hope for the best.

+1

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
SADude said:
...I should sit back on the bikes and almost let the rut stear you in the direction instead on trying to turn you handle bars and stear though the sweaping corners...

Yep

And a +3 for El Capitan!

DarkFox

Apr 4, 2005
Let the rut steer you in the direction it goes, to a degree.
I do my best to follow it, but if you hit an edge, try to keep your bars pointed in the direction your travelling, and not going all the way off to the left/right if you hit the edge.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Ride hard but steady on gas. Be relaxed and more "flexible" on your bike because if you are too stiff, for sure you are going to fall!

Top Bottom