Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ok i know that we can only ride from 11-2, well once muzzleloading opens upand gun is over, can we ride then if it's not all frozen over?

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I'm not sure? Yesterday I rode from 11:00 to about 4:00, but it was on a MX track.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Racer: Once Gun Deer is over you can ride 24hrs/7 days if you want. Also. the fun doesnt stop when the ground freezes - Kold Kutters (about the least expensive way to plow snow) for the tires, grip heaters and Carharts keep it going till spring!!
Yea, Michigan = winter wonder land, ahhhhh - beautiful!!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well, that is a VERY interesting and, I might add, a very pertainent question. Personally, I think after the snow gets to the skid plate it is time to get out the sled! The "plowing" effect really becomes over whelming beyond that and "other issues" like snow packed frozen carbs become previlent. Before that point, say between 3 and 9 inches is very very special!! If you are "screwed" decently it is nothing short of AMAZING how magic the traction is! I have a REAL close "winter riding" buddie that in the recent years I woudl do ALOT of night riding with (I am talking 2 am @ -5 degrees at Tin Cup :) ) and we purposely would wait for this "perfect" condition!! We even started a ritual of riding "headlightless) in the dark, in the snow just for kicks - WHAT A BLAST!!! I have found that if you are riding with a group of riders in fairly deep snow (above 6 inches) the guy in the front has a major advantage. Even with screws, the bikes "tendency" to follow the previous riders lines can and will make conditions almost unbearable, for say, the guys beyond 4th position...
Another tidbit of info. If you decide to try the "winter thrill", be VERY careful of pavement. Ice is great, trails are AWESOME, even those nasty ol diagonal trail branches are not much of a match for a properly studded set of tires but PAVEMENT of any sort can = FACE PLANT easily!!
Also, another favored trick is NEW TIRES with NEW SCREWS! The more aggressive the tread the better (for woods) as far as DEEP snow traction goes... I have had VERY good luck with Dunlop 752's for deep snow application.
Another word of caution, some of our Michigan ORV trails are also snowmobile trails. Once a snowmobile has ridden the system and their track is "recoverd" the trail speed for bikes goes way down!! Try it sometime, you will see what I mean.
Gusee what. After a winter of riding, I HATE to take my screws out!! THe traction is THAT shocking!
Woodsy

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
Hey Woodsy, what about sheet metal screws. I know they're not hardened like the kold kutters, but I'm broke right now. Will they hold up alright for a few rides, and how do they perform.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
XR: Now yourtaking me WAY back into the early 70's... Back then thats all we used. They are no where near as effective as Kold Kutters, not just because of the lack of hardness but mainly because KK's have a raised, concaved sharpened edge that REALLY increases grip.. I think I have a bunch of "dull" KK's that you can have if you want them. They are virtually the same as a sheet metal screw (NO EDGE LEFT) but they are hardened and they are cheaper (free)!! Also, I can get you KK's at a discount - let me know if you want me to check it out - I have a vendor that handles them!!
It is a job to properly do your tires up, I would beg borrow steal for new KK's if I were you...
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I cannot believe we are talking snow riding already :) It seems like Rites Of Spring was yesterday!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
If it keep's you in mi I've some spare Kold Kutters. It will cost you lunch after a ride!

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I plan on putting in some elevator bolts. They are 1/4" thick and I plan on putting them OUT about 1/2. The Heads are flat and wide so you can put them inside out. I would still recommend double tubing and taping/glueing those beasts in.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Waahoooo there Tom!! Let me know how that works out - perhaps that would be the answer to deep snow!!! May be run a smaller diameter tire and extend them bolts out about 2 inches!!!! Sounds like fun :)
Did you guys see what Yamaha is coming out with next year - 2 wheel drive WR450!!! NOW THATS WHAT WE NEED FOR SNOW!!
I am starting a new thread about it!!
Woodys

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
Hey Woodsy, let me know how much you can get me a pack of a 1000 for. I need 7/16", but 1/2" would work too, Marlin how many you got, I'd buy you lunch, what length and how many I'd at least like to have them in my front tire, just under 300.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I have what you need! See what woodsy has, then let me know. I'm not sure what length they are. There for the front and back tires. I'm thinking about picking up a cheap Cheng shing universal rear tire. Last year I rode all winter and there never was a need for a mud/sand tire, as every thing was frozen solid. For me more studs, the better!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey GW - for "snowplowing" purposes I usually use my buddies XR - if you catch it just right between the wheel and the pipe it will stay at an angle on the front of the KX (looks funny but it works just like the county road trucks) :) :) After perfecting the technique for a couple years (funny, I keep running out of smaller bikes willing to ride in front of me), I "plowed" a path last year that was 4 foot wide and over 150 yards long!! If you are going to attempt this approved "Woodsy plow technique" it is adviseable to let the people behind you know about it (no need to tell the rider in front of you cause he will find out anyway) so they dont attempt to hook up with your bike after you have got your plow attatched. I have NEVER been successfull with multiple plow hookups nor have I ever seen ANYONE else successful with it either, although one time we did have a quadruple plow go down a big hill and it worked all the way to the bottom :) Personally, I like "Honda plows" cause they really look nice on the Green Machine....
Kyle: I can get 3/8th or 1/2's for $16 per 250. I cannot get them in 1000 count.. If you want me to order some, let me know and I will try to get an order together (I have to get over a $100 order or pay shipping..), I have a couple other guys buying screws thru me this year too - I am going to try and coordinate the thing so we get FREE shipping...
70 Marlin: Yea, I REALLY liked those CHEAP AWESOME Chen Ching nobs too- ESPECIALLY in the snow!!! Problem is they are not available in the 19 inch (bummer), back when I was ridng mid 80's XR's it was great cause those tires were (still are) available in 17 inch. That 760 series is benchmark in my book!!!
Woodsy

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Kinda on the snowplow topic.... I once used an old refrigerator on its side and pushed it with a '77 Malibu. It worked great until the fridge rolled and my car wound up on top of it. :scream: I sure got goofy looks from passersby.

I like Cheng Shin tires too. I run them on my mild mannered Sportster.

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
order me 500 in the 3/8ths. Unless you want to order me 750 and I can pay for the other 250 the week after. Budgets kinda tight lately, really sucks, I need a new job!

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Don't give up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was 50 degrees and sunny at noon today in East Jordan...

soooooo, I took my hunters' orange 4 stk out and knocked down some trees and stuff..

Don't tell F&S...

Mike Sr.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
YOUR 4 STROKE????????

The collarbone is healed and I think it is time for the 4 hunny to return home. 

Give me one warm day in December and I am calling in sick to work.

SweepRider

Mar 14, 2002
Resist the urge, Mike. The last time Badgerman "went for it" on a warm sunny day in December, he wound up with his broken collar bone!! I was 8.9 months pregnant with Hurricane and drove HIM to the hospital. The emergency room staff kept trying to get me into the wheelchair! I'd think twice about calling in sick.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by SweepRider
Resist the urge, Mike. The last time Badgerman "went for it" on a warm sunny day in December, he wound up with his broken collar bone!! I was 8.9 months pregnant with Hurricane and drove HIM to the hospital. The emergency room staff kept trying to get me into the wheelchair! I'd think twice about calling in sick.

Some how I can picture that whole scenario....although it's not funny -I'm laughing.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I think I smell a conspiracy.......

I see the ortho tomorrow afternoon...I hope to view an X-ray of a completely healed collar bone...

I just want to ride again.  Maybe I will go dual sporting with my dad, if he will let me ride MY bike.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Just for grins, smiles, giggles and laughs, I called Jr. on his 800 # at work, fired up my new four hundred KTM and held the receiver to the exhaust note...

Unfortunately, he assumed it was Napper...

I did get in a short ride on the Beautiful Hills of Charlevoix County...

Now, I suppose it's time to put some screws in and get serious...

Mike Sr.

Top Bottom