C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Hey everybody,
I just thought I'd start this thread to whine about the riding season. It's gone. :whiner: Vanished. It is no more. It's snowed here and I don't think there is much chance of it clearing up..or warming up enough to go riding again. It is currently -15 degrees celsius. It's enough to make you want to cry, having to look at that beautiful bike sitting in the garage just begging to be riddin. I'm defanitely not going to enjoy the next 5 or 6 months. It's so depressing knowing you can't ride for the next 5 months ( that is nearly half a YEAR!!!). Maybe I should pack up and move to Arizona or something for the winter....I hear you can ride there all year long. :cool: What about all of you? How long do you think you have left to ride? What do you all do in the off-season? Sigh...I think I'm gonna need to get a snowmobile....i'm just lost without motorized toys :debil: :flame:

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
We are lucky in Australia cause we can pretty much ride all year round! At the moment it is spring time and is pretty wet and slippery but nothing to stop us riding!

I always thought it would be great to live in the snow, it seems so cool but 5 months off the bike? that would be unbearable! Go the snowmobile I say!

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
canadian, where are you, here around niagara falls its going to heat up to 18 celcius this weekend, hopefully not the last riding weekend.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
In western Washington we're lucky enough to be able to ride year round. Even when it snows it's generally not enough to keep us off the trails. The winter months offer some pretty good riding around here, as long as the temp stays above about 40 F. It gets plenty muddy, but with a fresh set of knobbies, mud can be your friend!

I couldn't take having my bikes parked for 5 months. I would definitely have to get a sled. I spent my honeymoon snowmobiling in Montana. It's pretty good stuff, you should check it out.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I'd really like to get a sled but unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range right now. Oh, well...most of my friends and neighbors have them...i'm sure I can bum a ride off of sombody..lol. I live nowhere near niagra falls. I'm way out in the western provinces. Right now there is to much snow to ride but i've heard its supposed to warm up a bit in the next week or two. Probably only enough to make the area an absolute swamp but oh well, i'll take what I can get. Yup....five months off the bike does nearly kill me.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Cheer up canadian EH!! we did our last ride on dec 20 of last year here in b.c.-okanagon area this year might end a little earlier though. You may be able to hook up with an ice racing group in your area-it's a HOOT try it if you get a chance. spring will come soon enough!!

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
We (Kokanee Bushriders) rode up at Bearcreek ,in the okanagan , the day before christmas last year, but I don`t think we`ll get that far up this year .

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Our season is just starting. You frozen types have my sympathy.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Originally posted by cactusreid
\You may be able to hook up with an ice racing group in your area-it's a HOOT try it if you get a chance!!

Unfortunately there are no ice racing groups in my area. It would be fun to try. I wonder how much some of those spiked tires cost? Probably quite a bit. Last year I took my bike out for a ride on Christmas Day. It was still pretty snowy but there was a Chinook and it was really nice out. Hopefully the snow will melt a bit, enough to go riding anyway. It's been -20 degrees celsius with the windchill though for a week or two now. Last year it wasn't this cold this early. I guess I shouldn't be complaining we really need the moisture from the snow, but still not being able to ride for a couple of months is a KILLER!!!! I really wish I could get a sled. A couple of months ago I saw that new fourstoke sled from Yamaha. That thing was nice. A lot heavier compared to the two stokes though of course. A lot more money to. I was watching the news and it is supposed to get about 0 degrees in a few days then it supposed to get cold again.... :( What I really need is one of those kits that turn your dirtbike into a snowbike. You put a track on the back instead of a tire and a ski on the front. Don't know how well it would handle but it looks cool...lol.....I'm already counting the days until spring......

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Look for the bright side in every situation. You have the potential of a chinook and I'm betting you didn't match our -30 C with windchill at 8am today :scream: I picked my aunt up at the airport as she had just arrived from Calgary, I'm surprised she didn't get back on the plane when we hit the parking lot. :laugh:

Your welcome to come on out to Manitoba and do some Ice racing here!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
Our season is just starting. You frozen types have my sympathy.

JP... :moon: Right there buddy!!! :)

It seems that our season has become hit or miss. Upon opening the back door we were greated with little white thingies. :( We still have a few weekends of riding left as long as the track doesn't get too wet or frozen. I guess I'd better start dusting off the hockey gear.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Originally posted by Chili
Your welcome to come on out to Manitoba and do some Ice racing here!

I'd like to do that but unfortunately, Manitoba is a few provinces to far away from me. I'd like to give ice racing a go, but unfortunately there isn't a big ice racing scene over here ( that i've heard of anyway). We defanitely haven't been as cold as you guys yet. The coldest we've been is about -20-25 degrees celsius ( including windchill). I'm defanitely hoping for a chinook.

sherides

Nov 9, 2003
Get a sled! Sledding seasons just about to begin but the dirtbike season is PRIMO right now!!!!!! Our valley here in Boise, Idaho stays nice and wet all winter with tons of snow just a half hour away during winter. Gotta have both toys in this climate and especially in yours. Your snow is awesom up there. Did a revy trip there last year and did some great riding in some unbelievable snow! Oh, and we also got married up on Boulder Mountain via chopper ride. Hope to go back someday!

Motogrl307

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2001
We still have some time left here for normal riding I think. Went to a race yesterday and it was 19F when we got there and the track had big prepped the night before so it was like riding on frozen softballs. But as the sun came out it got up to 40F and the track was perfect.

When it gets real cold we put on the studded tires and carharts and play it is a blast, great traction can go anywhere as long as the snow don't get real deep :eek:

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by CaNaDiAn,Eh?

LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!! When do you leave?

We want to go just after christmas, can`t leave it to late or I won`t have time or money for "RENO"!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Where I live in New York winter is from about October to April, the first snow is usually mid or late october, this time jsut a dusting but its cold. And the days when the sun is out its only out until 4:30-5:00. So after work or cheerleading practice, riding is out of the question. :-( I wish i could go live with some realatives is Georgia, Texas, or Arizona, that would rock.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Originally posted by pyrofreak
\ I wish i could go live with some realatives is Georgia, Texas, or Arizona, that would rock.

Yah it would. I wish I had relatives that lived someplace warm...lol. It snowed again today... :(

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You guys just need a different perspective! I like cold weather and my only gripe about the snow is that I can't go play in it. I just saw the new Warren Miller movie last night, and now I am stoked to go snowboarding but the most I can hope for is some late spring riding if I have the doc's permission to go. :whiner:

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by bbbom
Pinball lives in Disneyland!!! ;)

Or is that all in your head? :laugh:

Ouch!You got me right in my mind. Now I have to go riding to clear my head!!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I wish i could snowbaord. I stink at that. I'm pretty good on the $20 plastic boards from Wal*Mart, but i dont think that counts. I have went skiing before. Only went skiing at Windham (great place if your ever in New York) once actaully because my freinds bro and his finace work there so we got in free. It was fun, but there was alot of post-fall soreness. And i fell more than a couple of times. But the funniest part was when Aryn (my freind) ended up hugging a tree on a missed corner on one of the hard trails, her brother decided to take us up to the top of the mountian and try it out. But I'll think i'll get to go snow-mobiling for the first time this winter (cuz my uncle has 5 and a freind of my grandparents have 4). YAY! But you have to admit that it's pretty depressing when its snowing on Halloween. But i wish they made a front ski for a YZ80 then i could slap on a paddle tire and i would be smiling all year round.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Originally posted by pyrofreak
\ But i wish they made a front ski for a YZ80 then i could slap on a paddle tire and i would be smiling all year round.

You can buy skis to put on dirtbikes. I don't know if they make them to fit YZ 80's though. You can also buy units where you take off your rear tire and replace it with a mini snowmobile track, and put skis on the front. They are probably pretty expensive though.

I do ski and am going to try to learn to snowboard. I've had a snowboarding lesson and I did do pretty good, but unfortunately my instructer sucked and bailed out on me because he wanted to go home early.

On the plus side its supposed to Chinook and the snow might (maybe) melt enough to ride!!!

Top Bottom