Riding through rutted muddy areas at speed?

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I was at my friends and his yard has many rutted, muddy areas, and When I would go through them, my bike would drift around and become unstable. How do you get through these types of areas without having your front end dance all around?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Do the opposite of what your mind tells you, go faster. :) I try to stay on the gas and sort of wheelie through it, by that I mean to pick the front wheel off the ground just a little.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Yeah, I started to find during the end of the day that holding the throttle wide open was the best solution. Seemed pretty scary though. I thought I was gonna slide out any moment, lol.

[This message has been edited by Buzz Bomb (edited 03-24-2001).]

BIKEMAN111

Mar 19, 2001
I say look well ahead of your bike keep a steady speed or speed up you should keep a constant speed on ruts stay loose and let the bike work under you I mastered this years ago and not to brag but I`m amazingly fast through ruts roots logs mud etc.now.I can really see the difference.everyone that i ever rode with had trouble in these areas one day a buddie of mine chrashed 3 times in the same section of muddy ruts i passed him each time as he paddled with his feet which ruins your momentum and unweights your suspension.
never look at the ground in front of you as that`s right where you`ll go.i look about 30 feet ahead at all times as i stay loose my bike may step out and dance all over the place and i just keep on sailing it`s become my favorite thing after hill climbing, especially rutted steep hills.

Top Bottom