Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've been riding small whoops for about a year at my local track and I got to the point where I never slowed down for them anymore. One reason was that they had worn down so that I actually looked for rougher lines through them and the other reason is I got good at them. I had tried some of the larger whoops at some other tracks and still was intimidated by them and rode them the way I'm sure my grandmother would have. .

I made it back to the local track yesterday, after being at DW and missing the last race, I rounded the corner to find a new an improved whoop section. These still aren't what I'd call SX type whoops but they are closer to the same type. They are slightly rounded on the top, about 18" to 21 deep and approx 3' apart. My 1st attempt was 2nd gear which about killed me. Tried it again in 1st and on the pipe using the clutch, still a no go! Tried again in 2nd on the pipe and clutching, talk about a bronco ride, it was even worse. The guy that built them was there watching and suggested I hit them in 3rd and I thought he was crazy! About the 10th time through I took him up on his advice. I topped out in 2nd and shifted to 3rd (sorta not quite on the pipe) and hit the whoops, that was much better. Long story short I rounded the corner in 2nd while feathering the clutch and in the power and shifted to 3rd and pinned it. This was the best way to hit bigger whoops by far. Rained all day today so I can't try it again for a few mroe days but I'm looking forward to busting through even fast to see how much smoother it'll get. I'm excited to go faster in real whoops, I didn't have any questions, just wanted to share. :thumb:

Jaibbe

Jan 26, 2002
You are right... Speed makes whoops easier and suspension works better. But motor must be at high rpm all the time with larger gear or bike will get out of control. And it's lot harder to drive big whoops when tired. I have once dropped front in whoop because i was tired and didn't have power to drive them on full speed. I had some relaxing air time...and bike had some too :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
In other words what you are saying is, be in a tall enough gear to carry you through the whoops without topping out but still be on the pipe as you enter.

Dido on the being tired bit. After I had been through them about 20 times in a row I loaded up and was ready to come home. There was no way I could ride anymore of the track because my arms felt like limp noodles dangling by my side. In fact it's been 2 days since I rode and they still feel worn out. My biceps, shoulders and the sides of my rib cage are sore as hell. I can't wait to get back out there and work the soreness out. :aj:

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Thanks..wasn't sure if you were in DFW area or not. Did not know where Robinson was. Is this track close to Lake Whitney MX? or south of there. Thanks

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
From my house I can be at Whitney in 45 minutes on a good day. Waco Eagles is east of Waco on hwy 6 just before 6 & 164 split. probably 10 miles east of Waco. It's a pretty fun track but it is extremely hard packed. The phrase "blue groove" comes to mind. It's a private membership track but I am a member and can go anytime it's not too wet to ride, don't want to be on the black dirt when it gets wet.
I think me and a buddy are racing Burleson this weekend if it's not too far for ya, come on out. If you've never been there it's a "old style" mx track. Great dirt but no real jumps to speak of. Last I was there they had one tabletop and the rest were singles with a turn after each one. It's a great place to work on cornering.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Hey thanks for the invite..Can't make it this weekend. Wife works a lot of weekends and I keep after my kids. Cuts into riding time but thats the way it goes. Still find time to go as much as I can - once a week or so. Either Mosier weeknights, lighted helps, or Greenville on the weekends since it is not too crowded and the guy that runs it is friendly.

Good luck at Burleson

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've always found more control going through whoops being in a gear higher than what would have you "on the pipe".

When you are revved out, it's much harder to recover from a split-second ut oh. Being a gear higher is much more forgiving.

Top Bottom