chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
My son and I went riding today jusy like we do almost every sunday,we like to tear up a orv area named Oaky Mountain in Raburn Co. Ga.My son rides a 01 xr80 and I ride a 02 kx250 That has many upgrades. I've been riding for 30 years now and have always thought to be a pretty good rider, always pushing myself a little farther and faster every ride! Today my son and I started out pretty fast and about one mile into the trail I always stop and wait for him to catch up,by the time I cut my bike off I could hear him coming rite around the corner,He rides up to me and stops and I asked him if he and the bike were doing alright(like I always do) He replies yes and is ready to go (reving it up )So on we go<I'm riding pretty hard thinking that he's getting faster so this time I'll leave him behind a little farther> 2 miles up the trail I stop again to wait for him and long and behold hear he comes again about a 100 yards behind, looking down the path I can see him coming,he's jumping every water break that's in the trail (and theres a lot )landing good and getting set up for the next.He pulls up and I tell him that he's getting fast to keep up that close,We rest for a bit and off we go again,this time I take it a little slower just to see if he can stay with me and dam if he does,between my powerband burst I can hear him rite on my tail,I looked back a few times to catch him in mid air over the water breaks(dam he really is getting fast)We end up back at the truck for somthing to drink and a rest for me,And I explained how he needs to pick his line before he gets to it and always be prepared for any thing on the trail, we rode that trail 3 times very hard and by the last time out he was starting to scare me ,thinking that he was going to crash hard,(he was like a little pro rider tring to chase me down for a pass)So we loaded up and headed home,talking the hole way about the ride,We were on cloud nine, injoying the thing that we like most !! RIDING

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
chevy383cid said:
My son and I went riding today jusy like we do almost every sunday,we like to tear up a orv area named Oaky Mountain in Raburn Co. Ga.My son rides a 01 xr80 and I ride a 02 kx250 That has many upgrades. I've been riding for 30 years now and have always thought to be a pretty good rider, always pushing myself a little farther and faster every ride! Today my son and I started out pretty fast and about one mile into the trail I always stop and wait for him to catch up,by the time I cut my bike off I could hear him coming rite around the corner,He rides up to me and stops and I asked him if he and the bike were doing alright(like I always do) He replies yes and is ready to go (reving it up )So on we go<I'm riding pretty hard thinking that he's getting faster so this time I'll leave him behind a little farther> 2 miles up the trail I stop again to wait for him and long and behold hear he comes again about a 100 yards behind, looking down the path I can see him coming,he's jumping every water break that's in the trail (and theres a lot )landing good and getting set up for the next.He pulls up and I tell him that he's getting fast to keep up that close,We rest for a bit and off we go again,this time I take it a little slower just to see if he can stay with me and dam if he does,between my powerband burst I can hear him rite on my tail,I looked back a few times to catch him in mid air over the water breaks(dam he really is getting fast)We end up back at the truck for somthing to drink and a rest for me,And I explained how he needs to pick his line before he gets to it and always be prepared for any thing on the trail, we rode that trail 3 times very hard and by the last time out he was starting to scare me ,thinking that he was going to crash hard,(he was like a little pro rider tring to chase me down for a pass)So we loaded up and headed home,talking the hole way about the ride,We were on cloud nine, injoying the thing that we like most !! RIDING

Heheh cool story! I have a son thats 13 months old. I wanna get him a KX 65 when he gets older! :)

Also, I happen to have the same exact bike as you, but its all stock. Its even the same year: 2002 KX 250.

I plan to put pro circuit pipes and a pc R304 silencer on it though, since according to Eric Gorr, the bike "falls flat" on top end, and adding a pc pipe is the easy way to fix that according to him. Any thoughts on this? :)

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I have a procuircit works pipe and a 304 ,v force reeds,wiesco pro lite,,twin air,14/48 gearing>and it does'nt fall flat no ware!!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Ain't it grand watching them learn like that? My soon to be 9 yr old flies around on a KX85/100 like he was born on it.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Chevy383cid,

I remember those days, lots of fun. My son's first bike was an XR-100, great learning bikes. At 12, I purchased a 2003 KX-100 for him. I can remember the first day spent on the track. I would time a small table top, so we would be in the air together. I could hear him yelling,"Whoo-Hoo", over the engine revs.

Now when we ride, he's is dressed, bike warmed up, and telling me he's going on the track, before I even get my bike unloaded. Just look forward to the day he passes you like your standing still. I'm sure you will have a smile from ear to ear.

Good luck and enjoy, Steve.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
I like these stories. I love riding with my son.

A week ago my son was chasing me on our property on his YZ85. I normally won't push too hard and if he makes a run I will let him pass me. That day while heading into our woods section I could hear him behind me so I kept it preety fast on the transition from open to woods and as he entered I heard the dreaded brap brap braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... He had lost it trying to keep up. Luckily he and bike only recieved hurt pride.

Soon I feel I will be the one chasing him (at 46 he already has ton's more endurance and energy that I do!)

Kinda felt bad but he was fine.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
My eleven year old son can keep-up with the old man. He's on a KX65 and ready to move-up to a KX85. When he does move up, he'll be waiting for me at the trail heads.

85kx250

Oct 16, 2005
my nine year old son and i both just got our first dirt bikes. we havent had much time to ride together because of my bike being down. i have an 85 kx250 which i am having to do a full restoration on (im turning out to be a decent bike mechanic though), but i still take him and my brother in law out. my son rides an 86 xr80r and my brother in law rides an 01 rm80. im thinking of buying my son a two stroke next year but i dont think he could touch the ground on one. im afraid hes getting bored with his bike

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Wanna hear something crazy? I did some riding at a motocross track earlier this year. There was a 13 year old riding a friggin RM 250 there, and he is AWESOME. I seriously think he would smoke most ADULTS on 250's. He was hitting big ass motocross jumps in like 4th gear np.

It kinda cracked me up becuase this 13 year old that weighs like probably 90 lbs or so, was riding better than I WAS! And I'm 24. Of course, I just started riding motocross dirtbikes this year, and at the time, had probably only been riding for like a month or so. I wasn't shy at all when it came to nailing the motocross jumps; I guess I'm a fast learning when it comes to riding. I love dirtbikes!

Now I have been riding on and off for probably about 3 months or so, and I can ride a wheelie all the way from first gear to 5th gear on dirt roads. Pavement is more fun and even easier though :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom