altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
We went down to Moab this weekend for some mountain biking and dirt biking. Sunday morning the guys wanted to ride Porcupine Rim. I hate that climb on a MTB, so I volunteered to shuttle them. We dropped the trailer in the Slickrock parking lot and then I dropped them off at the Porcupine trailhead. I went back to Slickrock and met the other two girls (my friend Lexi, who rides a CRF230F and her daughter, who's on a quad) and we rode up to the summit of Porcupine Rim, which was really fun. The original plan was to go to the start of the singletrack, turn around, get the truck and pick the guys up on the other side, but when we got to the summit, we found one of our friends with a blown tire (the whole sidewall exploded). So they gave me the tire and his keys and asked me to ride down to Slickrock and back as fast as I could to swap tires so he wouldn't be baking in the sun too long. That turned out to be really fun - Riding down the trail with a MTB tire over my shoulder (i.e. obviously running parts) seemed to go over really well with the MTB crowd :thumb: -- on top of being a chance to ride fast completely at my own pace. (99% of the time I'm riding I'm either trying to keep up or not lose someone behind me - it was nice to just concentrate on myself and the trail for a change...)

After I got our friend his new tire (the other girls headed down to the truck on their own), I rode back down and explored Fins & Things, got back to the truck and realized I still had about 25 minutes before I had to leave so I rode the Slickrock practice loop, which was a blast. For the first 3/4 of the loop I didn't see anyone - so odd to be out there where it looks like you're on the moon and you can't see or hear another person. (Even though there were plenty of cars in the parking lot, so you know people are out there...)

Anyway, it was really fun riding with just the girls (even if it was just for the one leg). Lexi and I have both ridden Porcupine several times on mountain bikes, but it suddenly looks different on a bike that you can't just pick up and carry over obstacles if they look too hard. There were two spots where Lexi stopped and said "NO WAY, I'm going back." But I talked her into riding up both obstacles - and she made it on the first try on both. The second one she had me laughing - I rode back down to look for her and she already had her bike turned around, ready to head to the truck. She said she didn't want to do it because if she made it up to where her husband was taking a break at the overlook he'd expect her to ride stuff like that all the time... I said if anything it just proves that she does better when he's not standing there being impatient and yelling instructions - and then she rode right up it like it was nothing, and then was yodeling up the trail ahead of me (she's German...) :yeehaw:

Can't wait 'til next weekend to get down there again and ride more of those trails!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
LOL; yup, sometimes it IS just nice to ride with the girls! Well, we're planning another trip to Moab coming up here in October... Should we dare try to meet up again?

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Definitely! Odds are we'll have to find each other one of these times!! :thumb:

We'll be there next weekend - actually every weekend in October except the 11th and 12th (business trip). And possibly during the week from the 14th to the 17th (brother in law is in town and we're showing him around, but don't have very specific plans yet.) Let me know when you're going and I'll give you an update on where we're planning to camp.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Great googly moogly, girl; you are a Moab maniac! We were talking about Oct 18-19, but as of this morning we are also talking about more than one weekend in October since it's SO NICE! I'll get some details tonight and get back with ya!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
YIKES! :eek: I TOTALLY DO have to admit that Saturday was a REALLY FUN day of riding with you guys too!!! :thumb: Let's do it again!!!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Howdy CJ!

Riding Moab is always been on my list of "important things to do before I die..." :yeehaw:

Susan and I are doing the Elsinore Grand Prix again this November and then will most likely take a break from it next year.

So am seriously thinking about doing a dirtbike trip down there and having some fun! (Will probably try to talk Pierre, Jennifer, Buddy, and Mini into doing it as well.... ;) )

What's the best time of year? (weatherwise, crowds, etc.)

Thanks! - RandyB

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
We're addicts! (It's only a 3.5 hour drive for us, so when the weather's good it's pretty much the default weekend activity...)

Randy - The best time for the combination of no crowds and good weather would be late fall or early spring. Like right now it's not TOO crowded on the weekends, but you're definitely going to run into a good amount of people on the most popular trails and you'll probably have to wait for a table if you're going out to eat. During the week it would probably be fine, and the closer you get to winter (or summer depending on if you prefer heat to cold) the thinner the crowds get. Just make sure you avoid the Easter Jeep Safari like the plague and the Fat Tire Festivals (less of an issue - but there's one in spring and one in fall and there will be hordes of mountain bikes on some of the trails). We've been meaning to go down in winter, but can't tear ourselves away from skiing. I think you'd really have the place to yourself then (they do get a little snow though).

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Randy/Susan- AWESOME!!! Yup, what altagirl said! You CAN get some wonderfully sunny and warm days in the winter, but it's hit and miss. Summer is just outright too hot. You're more likely to be able to PLAN for nice weather if ya hit Moab in the spring or fall. For instance, April/May and Sept/Oct are typically awesome. Ya just try to avoid the holidays and special events like Jeep Safari to avoid the crowds. YES YES; bug Mini and Buddy into coming along too and Pierre and Jennifer too! Also, Strick and Mimi mentioned that they'd like to hit Moab too. They got one of those big RVs now and we know of a great place we could all camp out away from crowds (near White Wash) OR we could stay in Moab. Maybe... could this be a SPODEfest of sorts?

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
hmmmmmm....!

Maybe we could do the "1st Annual MoabRocks Spodefest" in fall 2004.... eh?

:yeehaw:

Yah, I could rent an RV for a weekend or so. :confused:

-- Randyb

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
E-Ticket
You don't have to talk me into it!
I'd,(we) would love to ride Moab with CJ and Will and da gang. Mini and I just need a little excuse to drag her Toy Hauler out there. Why wait until Fall- Spring 04 be comin soon enough.

Buddy S

Top Bottom