Right Crank Seal..Which direction????

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
Giff, that's what you should have posted to begin with because it relates directly to the discussion rather than Harley's and trucks. If you do some research on here, you'll find that the majority of times the seals are installed facing the crank. You'll also find that many people advocate installing them that way no matter what. I've repeatedly suggested that the OEM spec be followed and theorized why they are sometimes installed with the open side facing out in response to those statements. When you post stating that they should always be installed facing out, I again have to respond to say that's simply not true. Follow the OEM spec!

No ruffled feathers, just trying to provide relevant, accurate information to the OP's question so he can make an educated decision on how to proceed. In addition it will provide that infomation to folks who research the topic in the future.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I am fairly certain all your bikes have the seal open to the crank,when applicable! So either there is confusion,or you are the perpetrator of misinformation and backwards seals! That 76 rm125 is THEE only one I have ever seen,and it was double lipped and the right bearing got lube from the tranny!

The '76 honda elsinore 250s also have the open side towards the transmission. But they, too, are double lipped and have the bearing on the outside of the seal, oiled by the transmission. There are probably others with a similar setup.
I don't so much hate the open part of the bearing being toward the transmission, but there is no way in hell of replacing these seals without splitting the cases, which is a real PIA.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
which is a real PIA. Not true,the case splitter makes it pretty easy! Beating them apart is a pta! And not to mention what it does to the motor! Why do my fillings fall out when it gets on top? It does not take a lot of skill or tools,and very little time,or a nice chunk of your money! They are all basically the same,and the manual is part of having the bike! New or used,once you have been inside and know everything is up to spec is priceless,and healthy!

Top Bottom