Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Been doing a lot of work on the bike lately and decided its time I get my own tool set so I don't have to hear my dad complain about not putting the tools back where they belong :yell: , even though they weren't put away in the first place.

I saw a 190 pc. mechanics tool set for $150. Will this suit me for most do-it-yourself servicing on a 2 stroke bike or are there some specialty tools that i should look for in addition to a tool set?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Cman250 said:
Been doing a lot of work on the bike lately and decided its time I get my own tool set so I don't have to hear my dad complain about not putting the tools back where they belong :yell: , even though they weren't put away in the first place.

I saw a 190 pc. mechanics tool set for $150. Will this suit me for most do-it-yourself servicing on a 2 stroke bike or are there some specialty tools that i should look for in addition to a tool set?

Basic set of Metric sockets, wrenches and allen wrenches would be a good start. Along with a set of screw drivers and various types of pliers.

Then you might want to add a flywheel puller, and a case splitter.

A set of tire spoons, valve stem tool & a good tire gauge (15 psi range) would also be quite handy.

I also have a vernier caliper, feeler gauges, fork seal driver and various other things that help me do what I need to do.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL...once you have your own box of tools, you will find yourself being as anal about them, as your Pop is his.

When I was your age, I couldn't afford a good set of tools, even though my after-school job required me have at least some half way decent stuff. Instead of opting to buy what I could from Walmart, I asked my boss to buy some decent stuff for me, and I'd let him take it out of my hide.,...errr...paycheck each week.

I now buy cheapo tools on purpose, just to take out and not worry about losing them.
But, a man needs to have a GOOD set of tools if he is really going to do well in knuckle busting.
There is no substitution for quality instruments.

Boutique tools from the bike shops (usually Motion Pro stuff) are great things to have on certain occasions. The more you wrench, the more you will find those odd looking gadgets more appealing. I'd suggest starting your boutique tool list with tee handle sockets. Ball end Allens are great too, especially handled ones.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A torque wrench is the first tool you should buy after you have a basic set. Craftsman puts together some good sets, and this time of year they tend to go on sale very cheap.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
There are cheap tools and there are quality tools. Cheap tools, well, are cheap.

Many years ago I swore off cheap wrenches and sockets. I had a cheap set that I was using and was really leaning into a stuck nut with the ratchet wrench when the socket just shattered. I smashed my hand really hard, basically shut me down for a week until the swelling went down.

Professional mechanics like professional tools like "MAC" or "Snap-On". These are great tools but they are very expensive.

I have had good luck with Craftsman brand. The basic tools, such as the wrenches and sockets carry a lifetime guarantee, which I have used several times and never had a problem. The reason I used the guarantee is not because the tools were bad, but because I abused them terribly. Like putting a four foot "cheater" pipe on a 3/8" breaker bar. Then there was the 12 mm socket that got left on the head of clutch bolt when I put the engine into the transmission (truck) and then the socket got launched through the bell housing when I started the engine. I took the pieces back to Sears, no receipt or anything, told them "it broke" and they gave me a replacement.

Some of my Craftsman tools I have had for 30 years and they have served me fine.

Christmas is coming up and that is a time that Craftsman puts a lot of their tool sets on sale. If you miss Christmas the next best opportunity is Father's day. When you buy a large set the "per piece" price of the tools gets pretty good but you end up with a number of tools that you will never use. I still recommend buying a set and then filling in the areas that you need, such as torque wrench.

Rod

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Metric tee-handles, metric sockets, deepwells, extensions, metric wrenches, adjustable wrench, big wrench for rear axle, torque wrench, pliers (needle nose and flat tip), screwdrivers, metric allen wrenches, tire gauge, tire irons, wire cutter/spinner tool, feeler gauge. 90% of the time I use the tee-handles, couldn't imagine working on the bike without em!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Rod is right. I'm an auto tech and own a little of all the major brands. I do not like Mac for the same reason Rod doesnt like cheap tools, ratchet failure leading to hand injury. Repeatedly. Craftsman ratchets have served me as well as any other. We all abuse 3/8 ratchets. They all break. Most of the time when a Craftsman has let go on me it grabbed another tooth slowing my hand down enough to limit the injuries. I have never had a ratchet fail while working on a bike, only cars. The bolts normally break before the ratchet.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
+1 on good tools, but don't bother with a molded case. Sure it keeps the tools organized, but you won't be able to put much of your specialty stuff in it. A nice 3 or 4 drawer box with a large top opening should serve you well. Craftsman has already mentioned (my preference), but Kobalt seems to be a good brand as well (Lowe's). Buy a good complete metric set, and add whatever else you find that you need when you need it, your toolkit will grow faster that you think.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Thanks guys. Ive got my list of tools i need ,and more than likely it will be my dad coming to me looking to borrow tools from now on.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the only two tools you'll ever need. If they won't do the job, the job can't be done:

400px-Crescentwrench.jpg
8f4f581f-5c50-4cc9-83da-7226d76f7f92_4.jpg

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Bfh & Gbfh

Top Bottom