KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Figure I'll put this here as I don't know any modern bikes with rim pin holes.

I can't stop the tire from spinning on the rim on the CR500 even with 3 rim locks so can one of you guys tell me where I should place rim pins - I figure to go back to 2 rim locks and put a pin at each lock and a few around the rest of the rim.

My questions
1. How many pins total?
2. Should I go both sides of the rim or just one side (tire changing considerations)
3. They're going in a Excel rim - where EXACTLY do I position them in the rim?

Thanks for your help

Kiwi

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Kiwi.

We used to run those on our flattrack bikes. We used self threading sheet metal screws about a 1/4 to 3/8" down from the edge of the rim or in the center of the flat part. The screws must be long enough to go through the rim into the tire bead, but not into the tube.

We used aprox, 6 screws per side evenly spaced. We were producing around 70 to 80 HP to the rear wheel with no slippage problems.

Just my $ .02 :thumb:

Ol'89r

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Ol'89r - did you run rim locks too? What sort of pressures - I'll drop down to 3-6 psi when climbing.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
Ol'89r - did you run rim locks too? What sort of pressures

Kiwi.

No, with the screws you don't have to run rim locks. We didn't run that low of pressure, so you may want to run the rim locks also or maybe more screws.

Just make sure that the screws go at least half way thru the bead.

Ol'89r

XC250

Mar 6, 2002
One of my old Husky's had rim pins, what a pain to get the tire off. The rim has pins about every two inches on both sides. These were only on the inside of the rim where the tire bead meets the rim. Are you sure you are using the correct size rim locks, your rim locks should match the rim size OR are you using to big of a tire, since your using three rim locks something sounds wrong. Have you tried a new tire ?

My .02
Steve

swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
I would have to agree with XC250. I have never had a problem with the tire spinning on the rim with my cr 500. It only has one rim lock. I use rim pins on my old drag bike and they are a pain. Try to get the rim locks to work instead of using pins.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by XC250
One of my old Husky's had rim pins, what a pain to get the tire off.
Steve

XC.

With the rim screws, you simply remove the screws before changing your tire.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
LOL you guys!!!

I have tried stock Honda, Motion Pro rim locks and White Bros billet rim locks - correctly sized for my 2.15 rim (I even tried 2.50 ones). The problems are that I run very low pressures 3- 6 psi when hillclimbing, lots of traction and a CR500 hauling 270lbs.

When I had rim pins in my Husky, Maico and KTM days the tire wouldn't spin - I ran no rim locks on my Husky, just pins and no problems unless you get a flat and then you must change it immediately.

Terry - I'm going to use #8 or #10 size, sound about right?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird

Terry - I'm going to use #8 or #10 size, sound about right?

Kiwi.

I would use the largest one's you can without compromising the strength of the rim. When you install them, position them in the thickest part of the bead. With the tire off, mark the outside of the rim and drill pilot holes in the rim a little smaller than your screws. Then using a little WD40, thread the screws into the rim and take them back out.

Then, reinstall the tire and pump it up to about 30 PSI and put the screws back in. They should screw right into the bead. Use screws that are long enough to go at least half way into the bead.

Good luck Mate. :thumb:

(Disclaimer) This IS NOT recommended for bikes that are used for jumping.

Top Bottom